Big Belly, Skinny Fat

I’m not going to do that. (test e)

If you had my body 75/175

What would your first six month of nutrition look like? Cut or bulk? How musch minus? High protein, fat, low carbs? Or 2g whey, 0.8 fat, and carbs?

or maybe worth living with main calories, no bulk, no cut?

@dagill2 already nailed it - just pick a coach that resonates with you and go with it. He even gave you a list.

There’s nothing weird going on. When you exercised and dieted, based on those pictures you showed, you lost some fat and gained some muscle. If I were you, I’d do that again for longer. These goals just take a lot longer than any of us want them to, and there is no answer that’s going to get you where you want to be in the next 90 days.

Also, and this is more just a musing and not aimed at you in any malicious way, it’s kind of funny that you picked a specific testosterone ester to hypothetically not take. I don’t know why; it just tickles me.

1 Like

Biker Bulldog

I am getting a vibe that I just cant put my finger on at the moment.

1 Like

It’s a joke about steroids. :slight_smile:

The latest strategy - 200 ~ max calorie minus, and I will see what will in the long run.

Let’s make it simple… what’s the most important thing for you in your mind at the moment? Losing that little amount of belly fat at the moment? Or adding more lean body weight?

1 Like

Can you not just eat at maintenance, with high protein (>1g/lb BW) and good food choices and recomp slowly, especially as a beginner?

Some of the guys in this thread know much more than me so they can correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s the easiest solution.

1 Like

Is it possible to do this at once, as Cesium32 mentioned?

For me, it is important to recompose the body, whether to cut or bulk. Problem one: I find it hard to eat a lot calories, clean calories…

I have only one wish - 15 - 17 BF at 75.

As I mentioned, I once tried to lose weight, but apparently need to do short cycles. cut - 5kg, bulk + 5kg.

I would say you need to stop the cut and bulk mentality at this stage. You need to build some muscle, that’s not going to happen whilst cutting and it doesn’t need to be forced by going all out bulk.

If I was in you position I would be prioritizing building some muscle.

Eat good clean food, slightly above maintenance, pick a routine and get stronger across a variety of rep ranges with good control and form., do that for a long long time. Keep an eye on the mirror and the scale, but judge yourself on your progress with the weights.

Work on your posture also as @FlatsFarmer mentioned as that will help.

5 Likes

I don’t think you know what your maintenance caloric intake is, and certainly not what it is while lifting. Therefore, I don’t think you can say “I’ll eat maintenance +/- 200 calories”; that’s relatively hard to manage even for those of us that have been eating the same consistently.

As the others have said, just start with some good eating and lifting behaviors. Those will turn into habits, and then you’ll be well on the way to where you want to go AND you’ll have the base to make the tweaks that will get you the rest of the way.

Here’s the secret.

It took you years, if not decades, of neglect to get to the physical state you are in now.

It will most likely take years to unf**k yourself.

Is it possible that, through this process, you will look bad? Yes: absolutely. In fact, it’s probably inevitable.

BUT, you will look even WORSE if you decide to take no course of action and continue your campaign of physical neglect.

Pick A method and go do it.

3 Likes

I do. I was skinny fat. Let me tell you how I fixed it. Many online “fitness gurus” will charge you for this information, but I’ll tell you for free.

I lacked muscle and had a gut. Then I decided to eat healthy food and train hard. I’ve never counted calories or tracked macros. I’ve just eaten enough quality food to fuel my training. Sometimes if I’m training extra hard, I’ll eat more. Sometimes I’ll eat a bit less for a few weeks to shed a bit of body fat. After years of work, now I have more muscle and less gut. I don’t look amazing but I look far, far better than I used to. If I want to continue to look better, I’ll put in more years.

More importantly, I no longer think of myself as a victim, which is exactly what calling yourself skinny fat will do. It was surprising to see how much my mentality held me back.

7 Likes

Good post…

An old Paul Carter quote: if you walk 10 miles into the forest, you’ve got to walk 10 miles to get back out.

1 Like

I imagine the new Paul Carter quote includes a part about making sure you don’t trip on your clown dick on the way out.

4 Likes

this a pretty straightforward goal.
-Just pick a program by coaches guys mentioned already. Hit it hard. Diet: dont eat like an asshole, and you will get there pretty soon

I have changed my physique by a good amount over the past few months by:

1.Finding a routine I enjoy and following it day in and day out
2.Being smart with food.Although I do not diet anymore, I avoid junk food

As a new lifter it’s not that hard

Being skinny fat is part of the transition of going skinny to bigger.

I’d be more mindful of your diet, build up with a small surplus and put in work at the gym. Take lots of long walks and incorporate some conditioning.

When I bulked, I kinda went in deep, and although I don’t think it was a bad idea, I wish I would have more carefully monitored diet. My permabulk was about 6 years before I decided on a real “cut”. I think I started looking skinny fat around years 1-3 and less skinny after that.

1 Like

I look like this, let’s see what happens next…

Thanks all.

Start a log man, it’s a great way to stay accountable and get feedback, especially if you engage with like minded lifters in their logs.

1 Like