Big Batches of Cooking Ahead Goodness

share any prep you do to start the week off right for food! I find overall it takes alot less time and really saves your ass when you have that ‘I need to eat RIGHT NOW’ hunger.

Sunday I will~

cook brown rice for the week
grill chicken breasts and fish and some veggies
make a soup~ its going to be this one…
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 large Vidalia onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 lbs. fresh cherry tomatoes, diced
1 cup tomato paste
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup fresh marjoram, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh thyme, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 cup quinoa
2 cups plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup Asiago cheesewash and chop friut

boil and peel eggs
make a meat loaf
section protein powder
section servings of almonds

I would love to have more ideas to keep things fresh each week!

[quote]coyotegal wrote:
share any prep you do to start the week off right for food! I find overall it takes alot less time and really saves your ass when you have that ‘I need to eat RIGHT NOW’ hunger.[/quote]
There was an article from a while back that talked all about this:

The crock pot/slow cooker is ridiculously useful for big batch cooking. There have been dozens of threads, and a few small articles, filled with recipes. A quick search should pop those up.

My two favorite crock pot meals:

Pork chops, sauerkraut, diced apples, dried fennel or rosemary - Tossed in the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. Boil some small red potatoes (with a few cloves of smashed garlic in the water) as a side if you’re in a carby mood.

Stew meat, salsa, soy sauce - Crock pot low 6-8 hours. Serve over rice, again optional if you “do” carbs with dinner.

My go-to, big batch, leftovers-for-days dinner:

Chunky chicken chili
Saute large diced chicken (1 to 1 1/2 boneless, skinless breasts per person) with sriracha sauce, then set aside.

Mix red, black or aduki beans (whatever’s on hand, 1 can per person, rinsed), one or two handfuls of frozen corn, and 30-40 ounces of chopped, not strained, tomatoes (1 to 1 1/2 of the Pomi brand boxes). Dried chipotle powder and dried cayenne as preferred.

Bring that to a simmer for 10 minutes or so, then throw the chicken into it and let it all hang together for a while. I usually serve this over quinoa.

The quinoa I usually boil with low-sodium chicken broth, then stir in turmeric, ginger powder, and a splash of EVOO just before serving. The stuff is great mixed with scrambled eggs, too.

thanks for the link, it was a good read :slight_smile:

the porkchops sound really good!

Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal:

A double batch of this will make breakfast for most people for 4-6 days.

I dont have one day per se that I cook a lot. But when i do cook i make a ton so i have left overs for snacks and lunches. When i grill i always make 3-5lbs same with the slow cooker.

When i make rice i make 10-13 cups which will last about 5 days

Thats really about all i cook ahead. For example this week. Made rice and pork on monday. Chicken on tues. No cooking wed. No cooking thus. Chicken on Friday and eggs on sat. So for days where i dont cook and i never cook for lunch or 2cd dinner. i just reheat something. Rice needs to be made again today

Yesterday I cooked protein for a month. I cooked 30lbs of chicken breast, 18lbs of chicken thighs, 20lbs of pork loin, and 20lbs of turkey burgers. All were seasoned with various Mrs. Dash seasonings and kosher salt. I did everything except for the turkey burgers in the oven. Everything else I had on cooling racks on top of cookie sheets (covered in foil for easy cleanup) and roasted in the oven at 350 degrees until done. The turkey burgers were all cooked in my electric skillet.

I then tag, bag, and put into the freezer until I need it. For veggies I pretty much just eat steam in the bag broccoli or organic spring mix. I’m fairly low carb but I do eat 4oz of sweet potato on training days. Tonight I will make up my week’s worth of shakes, each consisting of 6 Omega-3 eggs, and 65g worth of whey. I split the shakes up into my underfeed meals for my Modified Warrior Diet which I run in a cyclical low carb fashion.