T Nation

Big Back, Big Chest, Real Fast Program

Hey. Like i mentioned in my first post inhere.. my english might not be the best.
Im from Denmark, but will give it a try.

I have a rare condition that effects me in a couple of different ways. To only ones you really need to know is that i often have a lack of energi, and i get dizzy sometimes. These two things have always had a negative effect on my workout.
But now i read this article by Chad Waterbury called "Big back, big chest, real fast."
The great thing about it, is that the exercises don't need to be done in a short timeframe (Like 3x10 with 1min rest in between.) Having my workout packed together and done in less than 2 hours is what usually makes me tired and dizzy. So this "program" seems really good for me and i wanna try it.

The only thing i want is to ask a couple of questions about it.
1. Is it for beginners?
2. In the article it says: "Push-ups and pullups will take the place of all your upper body pushing and pulling." Is deadlift considered as upperbody pulling or is it okay to include them 3 days a week?
3. Is it okay to start out with Wide-grip pulldowns when i cant do more than 4 pullups in a set?
4. I think im supposed to add exercises for the remaining bodyparts just 3 workouts a week, right?

Which rare condition? (Feel free to PM me and/or write it in Danish if you prefer.)

Deadlifts if done right are very intense, and 3 days a week may be too frequent. One trick I used to increase pullup reps is to do as many BW pullups as you can, then superset with lat pulldowns - at a weight that you can get in at least 10 total. Do this for 3-4 sets once or twice a week and before long you will be doing sets of 10 or more BW pullups. You may also want to consider working in a horizontal pull such as a row.

Pituitary gland insufficiency.

Oh, I don't plan to do Deadlifts 3 days a week. Writing mistake. I was just thinking if i could add them to one or two workouts per week. I did 2 sets of pullups today so far and got 8 reps per set. So i think i will just stick with pullups. Chad mentions that Wide-grip pullups and Push-ups should make up ALL the upperbody work. Adding another pull, like a horizontal row is a no go.

In the article:
"If you add in exercises like the bench press or seated row, you'll burn out in no time. You can add 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps for the lateral raise, biceps curl, face pull, and triceps extensions for three workouts each week, but it's not necessary."

Does this mean i can add squats, calf raises, deadlifts and hyperextensions to those three workouts too?
Or is it then going to be too much work..? Since the volume/frequency for chest & back is so high?

In this article, he outlines a plan to develop back and chest size in a short amount of time. It is in no way meant to be a long-term training program. Not doing horizontal back work will eventually lead to a muscle imbalance. I see no harm in trying this routine for short-term results, but in the long run you will need to work in all of these lifts and more for a balanced body.

No definitely not long-term. Im doing this for 3 weeks as he mentions, then i'll start on a more balanced program :slight_smile:

Well if choosing to do this for 3-4 weeks, I would then avoid adding the deadlift in extra. If he says a lift like the bench or seated row is too much to add in, the deadlift will certainly be too much. It is much more involved and stressful on the body than the bench. Same with the squat.

If doing this for 3-4 weeks, you should not lose too much in the way of long term strength for the deadlift/squat that you have left out. I'm not a huge fan of this program, but it is meant to be short term and if it works for you, then great. You should do it as written though, to evaluate its effectiveness.

But it does not say anything about that you're not allowed to do Squats. It says Pushups and Pullups should be the only pushing and pulling movements for the upperbody. Im not that experienced, but Squat is not a upperbody pull/push? And Deadlifts are not either.

I thought to myself that it would be ok to add a few exercises, with low volume, for the rest of the bodyparts.
I do push-ups and pull-ups 6 days per week and then these 3 workouts 3 days per week:

Monday:
5x5 Squat
4x10 Db lateral raise
4x10 Db curl
3x12 Hyperextension

Wednesday:
5x5 Squat
4x10 Db lateral raise
4x10 Tricep pushdown
4xamap Evil Wheel

Friday:
5x5 Deadlift