Big Arms: Why Are They Important in Bodybuilding?

A long time ago I was very impressed by one of my father’s coworkers, Mr. Okuni, who had incredible arm development, so much of an impression was made on me that I started lifting weights as a teenager. Mr. Okuni, along with other locals, worked out at Tommy Kono’s Wailuku gym in the mid-1960s. There were many impressive locals that I was aware of with big arms (18"+) and impressive strength.

I was thinking about Richard Baldwin.

I thought Richard Baldwin had a winning physique. Yes, he had some really good arms, but they blended well with the rest of his body.

I believe big arms is the signature of a bodybuilder, flexing the bicep is the traditional sign of strength, power and masculinity - and also the most recognizable element in a great physique (to anyone, not only within the bodybuilding community).

Looking at pictures of Gene, he also had a great back and slim waist - V-shape - which probably is the second signature of a bodybuilder (next to big arms). No wonder he won many a contest.

Is there any muscle in body building that you wouldn’t want to be big???

What would you do if you did get a muscle too big?

Abdominals

The only way for a natural trainee to get too big a muscle - is in regards to symmetry. Is it possible to get too big without “supplements”? I don’t think so.

I’d have to see an example to make a comment. I can’t think of anyone, offhand, who has a muscle too big.
I suppose some might say Ivor Butcher got his thighs too big, but I don’t think so. It is what made Ivor Butcher, Ivor Butcher.

Never seen anyone with abs too big. I don’t count a distended gut as abs. Thinking of large abs, Ron Tuefel comes to mind, but his abs set him apart from the field, IMO.

It was sarcasm

Sorry

Jon Andersen?

1 Like

For bodybuilding? Big arms fill up the space between your humerous and ulna/radius. Having no space in around your arms for a, say, front double bicep pose makes you look bigger and more muscled and adds to the V taper illusion, which is favourable if you are looking to win.

They also add to upper body thickness in poses like side triceps or most muscular and can also make your waist look smaller, especially if you have small wrists as well.

Basically big arms, if used properly make your other body parts seem more impressive in a range of poses.

Outside bodybuilding, girls like squeezing big arms

Many black smiths had big arms from swinging heavy hammers etc. Not that I have big arms but there are many black smiths in my lineage.
Scott

No reason to be

Ivor Butcher’s legs were not too big. Ron Tuefel’s abs were not too thick. And Big Ramy’s thighs are not too wide.

But if you ever had a muscle that became too muscular from exercise, the remedy would be to stop training it. You’d get atrophy in a few weeks.

Dr. Darden,

Our of curiosity,
When you determine if a muscle is too big…is that based on symmetry or is that based on something else?

Over a long period of time, muscles that are too big would not evolve. Why? Because their function would be limited, they would lose their ability to contract fully.

For example, Sergio Oliva’s biceps were so long and so developed, that he could not completely bend his elbow. The biceps hit his forearms and prevented full contraction.

So, your concept being “based on symmetry” is probably the answer for determining if a muscle being too big.

Thank you for your astute reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Big arm appeal. Part of it might just be related to ancestory or primitive times…given how arms were such a key factor for upper body functionality whether hunting, having to fight/defend, etc. Big arms represent the pinnacle of strength and given how they are so visible, they get noticed easily.

I have always loved arm training…especially biceps.