Big Arms, Little Chest. Back to the Lab!

[quote]b12sblue2002 wrote:
OP I had the same problem, arms grow faster than chest and take over in lots of movements. Listen to what Santoguy said, basically “open your chest up” like doing a fly when you are pressing and keep your shoulder blades back against the bench (retracted), it makes all the difference. Never lock out, keep the stress on the muscles as well. For me, flyes always help my chest grow better than presses, cables especially. also, throw in 100 pushups a day in as few sets it takes separate from the gym, like first thing in the morning, it is only bodyweight, hopefully wont impact your shoulder. good job trying to balance loads pushing/pulling. [/quote]

Why would someone need to do 100 push ups if they have a gym membership?

100 push ups = better than bench press with heavy weight?

[quote]asusvenus wrote:
5x5 squat and deadlift?

Come on now, you won’t be able to do anything worth shit.

As everyone else says, split up.
[/quote]

Thanks very much for your reply,

I just have one question, in all humbleness,

Why?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
b12sblue2002 wrote:
OP I had the same problem, arms grow faster than chest and take over in lots of movements. Listen to what Santoguy said, basically “open your chest up” like doing a fly when you are pressing and keep your shoulder blades back against the bench (retracted), it makes all the difference. Never lock out, keep the stress on the muscles as well. For me, flyes always help my chest grow better than presses, cables especially. also, throw in 100 pushups a day in as few sets it takes separate from the gym, like first thing in the morning, it is only bodyweight, hopefully wont impact your shoulder. good job trying to balance loads pushing/pulling.

Why would someone need to do 100 push ups if they have a gym membership?

100 push ups = better than bench press with heavy weight?[/quote]

Prof,

Do you think that doing more ad hoc pushups throughout the week would help me recruit more muscle fibres to the area, thus benefiting my development when I do hit the bench?

Or is it just much of a muchness?

I really hate wasting time so wouldn’t embark on something I didn’t think was worthwhile.

Then again in the interests of science, I haven’t tried it, so I wouldn’t know if it works for my body or not. Not that I have the methods to properly measure any gains it assisted, or clones of myself to mass repeat the experiment…

But I digress…

Also I thank you for your time posting on my thread :slight_smile:

[quote]RicciR wrote:
asusvenus wrote:
5x5 squat and deadlift?

Why?

[/quote]
It will have a big impact on you CNS in being able to lift that heavy with two exercises that demand so much to preform them especially at 5x5. Do 5x5 for squats OR deadlift and the exercise that you are not doing the 5x5 for choose a different rep scheme, IMO.

[quote]RicciR wrote:
Prof,

Do you think that doing more ad hoc pushups throughout the week would help me recruit more muscle fibres to the area, thus benefiting my development when I do hit the bench?

[/quote]

Doing more body weight only push ups is unlikely to recruit any more muscle fibers than your body initially needs to get the job done. Unless you are very new to training, body weight alone is not enough stress to push past your comfort zone.

When lifting during a set (assuming the weight is heavy enough to be outside of your comfort zone) your body will recruit more muscle fibers as the initial ones to fire fatigue. That is the reason for doing more than one set and for doing more than one rep to get muscles to grow.

If you are doing what you need to in the gym, you shouldn’t need to do push ups all week long unless your goal is simply to do lots of push ups.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
RicciR wrote:
Prof,

Doing more body weight only push ups is unlikely to recruit any more muscle fibers than your body initially needs to get the job done. Unless you are very new to training, body weight alone is not enough stress to push past your comfort zone.

When lifting during a set (assuming the weight is heavy enough to be outside of your comfort zone) your body will recruit more muscle fibers as the initial ones to fire fatigue. That is the reason for doing more than one set and for doing more than one rep to get muscles to grow.

If you are doing what you need to in the gym, you shouldn’t need to do push ups all week long unless your goal is simply to do lots of push ups. [/quote]

Good answer!

I really appreciate your time!

Load vs recruitment makes perfect sense to me.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
RicciR wrote:
asusvenus wrote:
5x5 squat and deadlift?

Why?

It will have a big impact on you CNS in being able to lift that heavy with two exercises that demand so much to preform them especially at 5x5. Do 5x5 for squats OR deadlift and the exercise that you are not doing the 5x5 for choose a different rep scheme, IMO.[/quote]

Point taken. Did some reading on similar to what you’ve said.

I think I will need to look at splitting them up.

Interesting…

Advocates ramped up pushups on non chest days…

I will try this after all and report progress.