Big Arms and High Blood Pressure

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I have to use a leg cuff to get my blood pressure…and I am a doc and have had to inform nurses that they need to get a larger size. Many of them react as if they either didn’t know some humans needed a different sized cuff or that I didn’t know what I was talking about.

If you can actually fit your arm in those BP machines in drug stores that you sit in, then a regular cuff should fit. I can’t get my forearm in those.[/quote]

A leg cuff huh? I should request next time. Could barely squeeze my arm in there. Thanks

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
slightly off topic, but I read in my issue of FLEX magazine, people with legs over 22"s lessoned their risk or heart attack and heart disease by about half comparing to people with legs below 22"s, the studied included like 3000 people. 1 more reason to have big ass legs!!![/quote]

I rock 25’s @ mid leg, so im in good standing for now!

slightly off topic, but I read in my issue of FLEX magazine, people with legs over 22"s lessoned their risk or heart attack and heart disease by about half comparing to people with legs below 22"s, the studied included like 3000 people. 1 more reason to have big ass legs!!![/quote]

isnt 22"s kinda small for someones thigh? Well maybe not “someones” thigh but for a serious-pretty serious weightlifter 22" seems pretty small

.greg.

[quote]gregron wrote:

isnt 22"s kinda small for someones thigh? Well maybe not “someones” thigh but for a serious-pretty serious weightlifter 22" seems pretty small

.greg.[/quote]

small in BBing terms, but not sedentary people terms.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:

[quote]Doyle wrote:
Did the cuff fit?
I would never freak out too much over one BP reading and I would always trust an experienced nurse over a machine.
[/quote]

It was a squeeze getting it in there, but I managed. My arm is at around 17.5 right now.

Thats probably what confused me the most. 150 for my first reading, and 120 AFTER my agility test.[/quote]

I’ve tested my bp after lifting and found it was lower than it was before the workout. I’m guessing part of the reason is dilation of blood vessels opens up the pathways for blood which lessens the pressure.

Yeah they have a cuff for fat people’s arms, that’s the one they use on me. Not at thigh-cuff level yet, but I will get there someday dammit!

22" legs is pretty damn small. Mine are around 27-28", so yeah. Even if I didn’t lift I’d probably be over 22"…too many damned emos around with their skinny jeans.

[quote]Zarellz wrote:

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:

[quote]Doyle wrote:
Did the cuff fit?
I would never freak out too much over one BP reading and I would always trust an experienced nurse over a machine.
[/quote]

It was a squeeze getting it in there, but I managed. My arm is at around 17.5 right now.

Thats probably what confused me the most. 150 for my first reading, and 120 AFTER my agility test.[/quote]

I’ve tested my bp after lifting and found it was lower than it was before the workout. I’m guessing part of the reason is dilation of blood vessels opens up the pathways for blood which lessens the pressure.[/quote]

the change in bp during lifting is related to the type of exercise performed. Static contraction leads to an increase in both dp and sp, hence overall mean arterial blood pressure. But, during dynamic contraction, the sp is elevated but the dp is lowered, leading to a constant mean arterial blood pressure.
After exercise is completed, you get “functional hyperaemia” of the muscles which is basically dilation due to the presence of adenosine, inorganic phosphates etc. in the muscle.

Your vessels may dilate post exercise, but this shouldn’t lead to a decreased blood pressure because you will have a higher volume of blood ejected by the heart per beat and more beats per minute.
Unless you trained your legs and measured the blood pressure in your arm.

[quote]adam_medic wrote:

[quote]Zarellz wrote:

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:

[quote]Doyle wrote:
Did the cuff fit?
[/quote]

I’ve tested my bp after lifting and found it was lower than it was before the workout. I’m guessing part of the reason is dilation of blood vessels opens up the pathways for blood which lessens the pressure.[/quote]

the change in bp during lifting is related to the type of exercise performed. Static contraction leads to an increase in both dp and sp, hence overall mean arterial blood pressure. But, during dynamic contraction, the sp is elevated but the dp is lowered, leading to a constant mean arterial blood pressure.
After exercise is completed, you get “functional hyperaemia” of the muscles which is basically dilation due to the presence of adenosine, inorganic phosphates etc. in the muscle.

Your vessels may dilate post exercise, but this shouldn’t lead to a decreased blood pressure because you will have a higher volume of blood ejected by the heart per beat and more beats per minute.
Unless you trained your legs and measured the blood pressure in your arm.[/quote]

I don’t remember if it was after a legs day or not. I’ll start checking it after upper body and lower body work outs to see the effect.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
If the person doing the testing had any clue what they were doing then they’d take the reading with a thigh cuff on your arm.[/quote]

Only if his arm is that big…which I doubt. They make extra large cuffs before they get to the leg cuff. Unless you arms are at over 19", I doubt that is necessary.[/quote]

I posted my reply before seeing your post. We’re in the same boat here, I guess. Those little nurses don’t know what to do with me…they’re like “um, we’ll just skip this part for now =)”.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Yeah they have a cuff for fat people’s arms, that’s the one they use on me. Not at thigh-cuff level yet, but I will get there someday dammit!

22" legs is pretty damn small. Mine are around 27-28", so yeah. Even if I didn’t lift I’d probably be over 22"…too many damned emos around with their skinny jeans. [/quote]

Fuckin’ Emos!!!