Big Arms and High Blood Pressure

Back last year I got into dirty bulking and powerlifting, and gained a shit ton of muscle, and a lot of fat too.

I posted a pic a while ago in the 18 inch arms thread, and since then I’ve lost 40 plus pounds while keeping most of my muscle (About 17.5 inches).

I’m currenty undergoing state examinations for a particular law enforcement career, and while i was under my medical examination, the nurse put my arm in one of the machines that takes blood pressure rather than taking it herself, and I got 150 over something which is NOT my normal blood pressure. After my agility examination(not overly strenuous), the other nurse took my BP and it was 120, normal. WTF? I know bigger arms in a machine make a slight difference, but 30 pts?

Anyone else had exp. with this?

Did the cuff fit?
I would never freak out too much over one BP reading and I would always trust an experienced nurse over a machine.

Ask for a cuff that fits your arm.

Was your physical fitness test immediately after you had your blood pressure measured? If so I would assume your blood pressure measured higher than usual because you were nervous for the fitness test.

When I was going through my law enforcement training we had our blood pressure and pulse measured prior to and after taking our fitness tests…I guess it is supposed to be a safety issue. If I remember correctly our blood pressure had to measure under 145 before we could take the test. Sometimes people had to lie down or sit in a dark room for some time to relax prior to taking the test, however soon after finishing your BP would return to a normal level.

Unless I read your post wrong you were probably just nervous about performing well on your test which caused your BP to elevate.

If I read your post wrong you can just disregard my post.

^^Yeah what he said. Also did you have any sort of energy drink or coffee or anything before getting tested? Whenever I have something like that it raises my BP for a short period of time.

.greg.

^^Yeah what he said. Also did you have any sort of energy drink or coffee or anything before getting tested? Whenever I have something like that it raises my BP for a short period of time.

.greg.

Most cuffs are not designed to fit a larger than average arm.

Make sure you get it measured with a larger cuff in the future.

Most normal cuffs top out at 14-15 inches. At 18 I’m surprised you even got into it.

White coat hypertension and stress could also affect the reading. Having an arm with “a higher percentage of muscle” than the average man also leads to a higher reading.

[quote]Doyle wrote:
Did the cuff fit?
I would never freak out too much over one BP reading and I would always trust an experienced nurse over a machine.
[/quote]

It was a squeeze getting it in there, but I managed. My arm is at around 17.5 right now.

Thats probably what confused me the most. 150 for my first reading, and 120 AFTER my agility test.

[quote]trevor16 wrote:
Was your physical fitness test immediately after you had your blood pressure measured? If so I would assume your blood pressure measured higher than usual because you were nervous for the fitness test.

When I was going through my law enforcement training we had our blood pressure and pulse measured prior to and after taking our fitness tests…I guess it is supposed to be a safety issue. If I remember correctly our blood pressure had to measure under 145 before we could take the test. Sometimes people had to lie down or sit in a dark room for some time to relax prior to taking the test, however soon after finishing your BP would return to a normal level.

Unless I read your post wrong you were probably just nervous about performing well on your test which caused your BP to elevate.

If I read your post wrong you can just disregard my post. [/quote]

I had my BP measured before and after, and got a 30 pt difference in between the two.

[quote]gregron wrote:
^^Yeah what he said. Also did you have any sort of energy drink or coffee or anything before getting tested? Whenever I have something like that it raises my BP for a short period of time.

.greg.[/quote]

I didn’t have any caffeine that day, but I did the night before… not sure if that would still affect the reading.

[quote]kakno wrote:
Most normal cuffs top out at 14-15 inches. At 18 I’m surprised you even got into it.

White coat hypertension and stress could also affect the reading. Having an arm with “a higher percentage of muscle” than the average man also leads to a higher reading.[/quote]

Did not know that, I think that solves the problem right there, as the 2nd nurse took my pulde th old fashioned way rather than a cuff

I have to use a leg cuff to get my blood pressure…and I am a doc and have had to inform nurses that they need to get a larger size. Many of them react as if they either didn’t know some humans needed a different sized cuff or that I didn’t know what I was talking about.

If you can actually fit your arm in those BP machines in drug stores that you sit in, then a regular cuff should fit. I can’t get my forearm in those.

The “normal” sized cuff doesn’t come close to fitting properly around my arm. They do make “leg cuffs” and/or cuffs for these ultra-obese fatties that will serve the purpose. Also it is common for BP to vary significantly from time to time, especially if there is stress or high-stakes (career; job opportunity) in the balance.

If the person doing the testing had any clue what they were doing then they’d take the reading with a thigh cuff on your arm.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
If the person doing the testing had any clue what they were doing then they’d take the reading with a thigh cuff on your arm.[/quote]

Only if his arm is that big…which I doubt. They make extra large cuffs before they get to the leg cuff. Unless you arms are at over 19", I doubt that is necessary.

if the arm is too large for the cuff, you get an artificially elevated reading. Conversely, if your arm is too small for the cuff, the reading is artificially low.

slightly off topic, but I read in my issue of FLEX magazine, people with legs over 22"s lessoned their risk or heart attack and heart disease by about half comparing to people with legs below 22"s, the studied included like 3000 people. 1 more reason to have big ass legs!!!

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
slightly off topic, but I read in my issue of FLEX magazine, people with legs over 22"s lessoned their risk or heart attack and heart disease by about half comparing to people with legs below 22"s, the studied included like 3000 people. 1 more reason to have big ass legs!!![/quote]

I know this study very well, let me explain it. First of all more muscle mass=less chance of heart attack, this is given. Second, the most muscle mass in human body is in the ass and in the legs. So combining those two facts, a good measure to see if someone has enough muscle mass, or equivalently is in less danger for a heart attack is to see if his legs are too small.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I have to use a leg cuff to get my blood pressure…[/quote]

AWESOME!!! hahahaa I’ve never heard of this before but that is fucking sweet!

.greg.