T Nation

Big Abs?

My ab area seems to be ‘sticking out’ very far. From the front you can see my abs and the lines and stuff, but from a side view I appear to have a belly, as it sticks out farther than my pecs, even though I’m not fat at all? Are these just my ab muscles sticking out extra far???

[quote]howie424 wrote:
My ab area seems to be ‘sticking out’ very far. From the front you can see my abs and the lines and stuff, but from a side view I appear to have a belly, as it sticks out farther than my pecs, even though I’m not fat at all? Are these just my ab muscles sticking out extra far?[/quote]

You haven’t been using HGH, right? Markus Ruhl has the HGH “gut” I’m referring to. It may be from the massive amounts of food you’ve probably been consuming. Abs are abs, IMO. If they stick out, just suck in a little if you want the better “look”

Is there any way I can get rid of this “belly”?


This is the article that I mentioned, should get you on the right track if my guess is correct.

How old are you? Maybe it’s visceral fat.

Good call, I see that you are a student, do you drink a lot? It could be visceral abdominal fat if you alcohol intake is very high, but I don’t think it is the most likely conclusion.

If it is viceral, stop drinking and diet.

Well I can SEE my abs, so I doubt its visceral fat. I don’t drink that often anyways

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Well I can SEE my abs, so I doubt its visceral fat. I don’t drink that often anyways[/quote]

Actually, viseceral fat is the fat underneath ur abs (in this case.) So you can still have abs while having visecral fat. That’s what gives the “hard pregnant” belly look also. Maybe its bloating? Or as someone said, it might be a muscular imbalance. Im just throwing things out there.

I was afraid you were gonna say visceral fat was beneath the abs haha, anyways I’m gonna go ahead and try that ‘power breathing’ to see if maybe I can work out the imbalance. If that doesnt work I’ll know it is something else (and besides it can’t hurt to work my inner abs aye?).

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
howie424 wrote:
Well I can SEE my abs, so I doubt its visceral fat. I don’t drink that often anyways

Actually, viseceral fat is the fat underneath ur abs (in this case.) So you can still have abs while having visecral fat. That’s what gives the “hard pregnant” belly look also. Maybe its bloating? Or as someone said, it might be a muscular imbalance. Im just throwing things out there.[/quote]

man i hate that shit, ill eat a meal…like a real meal, and people say i look pregnant and like i never understood theyre probaly just saying cause my stomach is out far i always just htought they were saying im fat so id be like wtf are you talking about you can still make out my abs.

i remember i was laying on my friends bed and just sticking out my stomach as far as i could then sucking it in as far as i could, shit was crazy how far i could get it out especially when contrasted with how far it went in. ah, the joys of eating to grow.

[quote]howie424 wrote:
I was afraid you were gonna say visceral fat was beneath the abs haha, anyways I’m gonna go ahead and try that ‘power breathing’ to see if maybe I can work out the imbalance. If that doesnt work I’ll know it is something else (and besides it can’t hurt to work my inner abs aye?).

[/quote]

Good thinking, the “power breathing” is very similar to the vacuum pose, you might have heard of that.

do the vacuum pose every day… I used to sorta have the same thing but after a couple weeks of doing the vacuum it started to go away.

All of these posts and no one considered this guy is just needs more muscle on his chest and shoulders?

If your stomach sticks out further than your chest, has it occurred to you to BUILD MORE MUSCLE SO IT DOESN’T?

If you are eating enough to actually grow, chances are your stomach will be full more often than it is empty. Everyone’s stomach sticks out when there is food in it.

You could try to diet down more, really I doubt its that bad lets see a pic? Also makes sure its in the morning as you won’t be full from food or anything.

IMO, the abdominals when hypertrophied DO stick out some. In everyone. This is one of the reasons the vacuum and power breathing(?) were so popular with zane/arnie eras… It is a forgotten art and while we all know how to pull a side tri, we hardly ever learn to really “suck that gut in”

I think that could be the problem. If so, it IS a “weakness” in the TVA… easily remedied by sucking in the abs for timed periods and contracting them - like arnold advises in his encyclopedia… This is believe is the power breathing mentioned above?

Joe

[quote]Professor X wrote:
All of these posts and no one considered this guy is just needs more muscle on his chest and shoulders?

If your stomach sticks out further than your chest, has it occurred to you to BUILD MORE MUSCLE SO IT DOESN’T?

If you are eating enough to actually grow, chances are your stomach will be full more often than it is empty. Everyone’s stomach sticks out when there is food in it.[/quote]

You’d think building a bigger chest would be the first suggestion on a bodybuilding website.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
All of these posts and no one considered this guy is just needs more muscle on his chest and shoulders?

If your stomach sticks out further than your chest, has it occurred to you to BUILD MORE MUSCLE SO IT DOESN’T?

If you are eating enough to actually grow, chances are your stomach will be full more often than it is empty. Everyone’s stomach sticks out when there is food in it.[/quote]

Prof X = common sense!

common sense = not so common!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
All of these posts and no one considered this guy is just needs more muscle on his chest and shoulders?

If your stomach sticks out further than your chest, has it occurred to you to BUILD MORE MUSCLE SO IT DOESN’T?

If you are eating enough to actually grow, chances are your stomach will be full more often than it is empty. Everyone’s stomach sticks out when there is food in it.[/quote]

I realized this pretty quickly.

I get the same distended stomach after a big meal, but when I wake up in the morning it’s pretty much always gone.

If this distended stomach doesn’t go away when you flex your abs, then it could be visceral fat. Otherwise, I think it’s pretty rare to have so much visceral fat that you’ve got a distended stomach but you’re not obviously storing a ton of fat everywhere else.

I’m gonna recommend you do more Front Squats, Shrugs, and Weighted Dips (going heavy on each). Don’t ask me why this will solve your problem. I can’t give you a good answer but I can promise you that once you’re Doing Dips with 185, Front Squatting 455, and doing shrugs with 585 you won’t be concerned with your belly sticking out ahead of your chest.

If you were in anterior pelvic tilt, your abs would be weak and stretched and the forward tilt of the pelvis will make it look like you have a gut.

Check the waistband of your underwear from the side, if the front part is significantly lower than the rear, it’s possible you need to work on strengthening your abs and your glutes.