T Nation

Biden Again... on Self Defense

It never fails to surprise me still how stupid this guy really is.

He suggests firing a shotgun through the door of the home you want to protect. Then goes on how an AR is worse than a shotgun for self defense in keeping people away from your house. I have showcased his insane stupidity with a gif from that exchange!

BIDEN: Well, the way in which we measure it isâ??I think most scholars would sayâ??is that as long as you have a weapon sufficient to be able to provide your self-defense. I did one of these town-hall meetings on the Internet and one guy said, â??Well, what happens when the end days come? What happens when thereâ??s the earthquake? I live in California, and I have to protect myself.â??

I said, â??Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.â?? Most people can handle a shotgun a hell of a lot better than they can a semiautomatic weapon in terms of both their aim and in terms of their ability to deter people coming. We can argue whether thatâ??s true or not, but it is no argument that, for example, a shotgun could do the same job of protecting you. Now, granted, you can come back and say, â??Well, a machine gun could do a better job of protecting me.â?? No oneâ??s arguing we should make machine guns legal.

In other news…time to find a new state.

Since I was 8, ‘confirm your target’. It goes through my head when I see people shoot through walls in the movies. I learned it from my Dad, who learned it from his. I can’t count the number of stories I’ve heard about someone who shot at what they thought was a deer/coyote/pheasant growing up.

I gotta side with Joe on the fact that I think shotguns are generally better defensive weapons, but I can’t imagine every scenario that would require a shooting solution and the gun to do the shooting. I can certainly imagine many where a rifle and lots of rounds would be a better choice.

It’s kinda funny that Cheney was a better teacher with regard to firearm safety by actually shooting someone than Joe does by shooting his mouth off.

[quote]lucasa wrote:
Since I was 8, ‘confirm your target’. It goes through my head when I see people shoot through walls in the movies. I learned it from my Dad, who learned it from his. I can’t count the number of stories I’ve heard about someone who shot at what they thought was a deer/coyote/pheasant growing up.

I gotta side with Joe on the fact that I think shotguns are generally better defensive weapons, but I can’t imagine every scenario that would require a shooting solution and the gun to do the shooting. I can certainly imagine many where a rifle and lots of rounds would be a better choice.

It’s kinda funny that Cheney was a better teacher with regard to firearm safety by actually shooting someone than Joe does by shooting his mouth off.[/quote]

The key term missing here is “situation”. A shotgun can be far superior just like a rifle can be far superior, it all depends on circumstance.

Honestly I don’t understand why the hate on “assualt rifles”. I can kind of understand why some are against hand guns (I am 100% for) because they are good for defense only. A rifle, even a dreaded AR-15, can be used for hunting as well as defense. It just boggles my mind how these places with high gun violence haven’t realized it’s a violence problem not a gun problem.

somewhat related, Obama supporter would rather be murdered than protect herself with a firearm. Fine, but how about you let me make my choice and do the opposite.

[quote]dk44 wrote:

somewhat related, Obama supporter would rather be murdered than protect herself with a firearm. Fine, but how about you let me make my choice and do the opposite. [/quote]

Ya, okay…

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]lucasa wrote:
Since I was 8, ‘confirm your target’. It goes through my head when I see people shoot through walls in the movies. I learned it from my Dad, who learned it from his. I can’t count the number of stories I’ve heard about someone who shot at what they thought was a deer/coyote/pheasant growing up.

I gotta side with Joe on the fact that I think shotguns are generally better defensive weapons, but I can’t imagine every scenario that would require a shooting solution and the gun to do the shooting. I can certainly imagine many where a rifle and lots of rounds would be a better choice.

It’s kinda funny that Cheney was a better teacher with regard to firearm safety by actually shooting someone than Joe does by shooting his mouth off.[/quote]

The key term missing here is “situation”. A shotgun can be far superior just like a rifle can be far superior, it all depends on circumstance.

Honestly I don’t understand why the hate on “assualt rifles”. I can kind of understand why some are against hand guns (I am 100% for) because they are good for defense only. A rifle, even a dreaded AR-15, can be used for hunting as well as defense. It just boggles my mind how these places with high gun violence haven’t realized it’s a violence problem not a gun problem. [/quote]

Situation/scenario, same thing. If I knew nothing other than the person was breathing, had a trigger finger, and needed a gun to defend themselves, I’d recommend a shotgun. I wouldn’t start moving towards semi-automatic rifles until I see criteria like adequate experience and physical capability or very low probability collateral damage.

Personally, I think you’re underselling handguns.

It’s not that different than the paranoia and lack of thought that goes along with racism; if you’ve got a shooting problem in your neighborhood, find the biggest, blackest gun you can find and, regardless of what the gun was doing or is used for, pin a crime on it and make it illegal. “I don’t care what ‘those’ rifles might be used for, I just don’t want them in my neighborhood.”


Obviously we need more laws (eye roll)

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/27/fact-check-sen-feinstein-claims-u-s-has-witnessed-an-increased-number-of-mass-shootings-during-gun-control-hearing/

[quote]lucasa wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]lucasa wrote:
Since I was 8, ‘confirm your target’. It goes through my head when I see people shoot through walls in the movies. I learned it from my Dad, who learned it from his. I can’t count the number of stories I’ve heard about someone who shot at what they thought was a deer/coyote/pheasant growing up.

I gotta side with Joe on the fact that I think shotguns are generally better defensive weapons, but I can’t imagine every scenario that would require a shooting solution and the gun to do the shooting. I can certainly imagine many where a rifle and lots of rounds would be a better choice.

It’s kinda funny that Cheney was a better teacher with regard to firearm safety by actually shooting someone than Joe does by shooting his mouth off.[/quote]

The key term missing here is “situation”. A shotgun can be far superior just like a rifle can be far superior, it all depends on circumstance.

Honestly I don’t understand why the hate on “assualt rifles”. I can kind of understand why some are against hand guns (I am 100% for) because they are good for defense only. A rifle, even a dreaded AR-15, can be used for hunting as well as defense. It just boggles my mind how these places with high gun violence haven’t realized it’s a violence problem not a gun problem. [/quote]

Situation/scenario, same thing. If I knew nothing other than the person was breathing, had a trigger finger, and needed a gun to defend themselves, I’d recommend a shotgun. I wouldn’t start moving towards semi-automatic rifles until I see criteria like adequate experience and physical capability or very low probability collateral damage.

Personally, I think you’re underselling handguns.

It’s not that different than the paranoia and lack of thought that goes along with racism; if you’ve got a shooting problem in your neighborhood, find the biggest, blackest gun you can find and, regardless of what the gun was doing or is used for, pin a crime on it and make it illegal. “I don’t care what ‘those’ rifles might be used for, I just don’t want them in my neighborhood.”
[/quote]

The issue with a shotgun is range, they have little to none. A rifle is also just as easy to shoot and with greater ammo capacity a better choice, imo. When under stress would you want 6 shells or 30 rounds? I’ll take 30 every time. A shotgun can also be hard to control and, imo, a smaller person would be able to defend themselve better with a rifle.

How am I underselling handguns? They are great for defense, that’s pretty much it. You can hunt with some larger caliber handguns w/scopes, but that’s more of an outlier to me.

Rifles are a scapegoat, that I agree with. I also think shotguns are great defensive weapons, just not always the best choice.

Like I said, scapegoat.

They want to start with the guns that people dont really have access to, or are scared to own. Once that is passed they will move forward to the Handguns. All guns are the end game. The Democrats always yell and scream about the slippery slope with Abortion (Partial Birth), but it is the Democrats that use the Slippery Slope more often. Start Small then get Big Scary Gun in the room.

Thanks Mr. VP for that awesome advice. Can I borrow money for bail, please?

The government is against semi-automatics for the same reason only a select few people can legally own fully automatic weapons. That reason is the same reason the military tends to carry the select fire versions of the civilian semi-autos the government wants to ban. They are effective combat weapons. The government want as large a gap as possible between the firepower of its citizens and its military.

You are deluding yourself if you believe the government wants to restrict your freedom in regards to the weapon with which you defend yourself from criminals, hunt animals, etc. They couldn’t care less about what you use for those purposes. Restricting your freedom in those areas is just a side effect of restricting your ability to defend yourself from the government.


It’s gonna get ugly folks.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/04/black-conservative-releases-hard-hitting-new-ad-equating-gun-control-to-jim-crow/

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Like I said, scapegoat. [/quote]

NO! You just aren’t reading the chart right. Shotguns are more dangerous than rifles and Biden is actually therefore a proponent of ruthless violence.

Now when can we expect AA 12’s to subsidized? If firing a round into the ceiling keeps me safe, I’d feel safer firing 20 or 30, wouldn’t you?

– jj

Pray for Obama’s health everyday, because we do not need Joe’s finger on the launch button.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Thanks Mr. VP for that awesome advice. Can I borrow money for bail, please? [/quote]

I heard about this this weekend. Lulz.

[quote]dk44 wrote:

somewhat related, Obama supporter would rather be murdered than protect herself with a firearm. [/quote]

Easy to stand on those kinds of words in a public place in front of a tv stand. Lots harder to believe those same words when a thug with a weapon wants to ACTUALLY kill you and you’re facing the very close proximity of the end of your life…