T Nation

Biceps Twice a Week

was thinking about hitting bi's twice a week for a about a month to gain some size. i would have one day all free weights and straight, heavy sets. then the 2nd day would be more cables and concentration on the muscle and more reps. what do you guys think?

my current split is

monday-cardio
tueday-back,cardio
wednesday-biceps,shoulders,abs
thursday-off
friday-cardio
saturday-chest,tri
sunday-legs,abs

i was thining about doing the 2nd day of biceps on my leg day.

I am currently doing Ian Kings “Great Guns in Twelve Weeks” It has you working arms twice a week but w/3 days in between. I am still in phase 1 but seem to be recovering fine. I do follow the rules though when it says to just use maintance sets for other body parts.

Do a search on the above, there are 4 or 5 parts.

Also…Waterbury says to hit a muscle up to 8-10 times a week to bring it up. See latest article on home page.

Busting out some curls on leg day sounds ok. Hit the curls during your rest periods for legs, that way you’ll get the work in without spending too much extra time in the gym.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Busting out some curls on leg day sounds ok. Hit the curls during your rest periods for legs, that way you’ll get the work in without spending too much extra time in the gym.[/quote]

thats what i was planning on doing.

so since i do bi’s after back day i was figuring to do that day mostly cables and higher reps. and then on sunday do more heavy, lower reps(6-8)

what do you guys think
thanks

I posted this once b4. It works for me, so I’m not looking for any critiques, but just offering it as a possibility in your situation:

Recovery times will vary from person to person. I’m 48, and just started lifting again after a long layoff, but I’ve had good success with 2 days on, 1 day off (HIIT/Core day), as follows:

Day1: Chest/Tris/Front Delts (Heavy/Lower Reps)
Day2: Lats/Bis/Forearms (Heavy/Lower Reps)
Day3: 35min. HIIT/Core
Day4: Quads/Hams/Calves (Heavy/Lower Reps)
Day5: Traps/Lateral Delts/Neck (Heavy/Lower Reps)
Day6: 35min. HIIT/Core

Day7: Chest/Tris/Front Delts (Light/Higher Reps)
Day8: Lats/Bis/Forearms (Light/Higher Reps)
Day9: 35min. HIIT/Core
Day10: Quads/Hams/Calves (Light/Higher Reps)
Day11: Traps/Lateral Delts/Neck (Light/Higher Reps)
Day12: 35min. HIIT/Core

First 6-day cycle heavy, with lower reps (12-6 range), next cycle light, with higher reps (15-8 range). I also use different exercises or a different exercise order on light v. heavy days.

I’m actually hitting each muscle group twice every 7 days this way, but I’ve broken the groups, exercises, and loads down so that I’m fully recovered for the next cycle. The exceptions would be my rear delts and spinal erectors, but based on my current exercise selection, these get enough indirect work to not warrant additional exercises at this point.

-james

thanks
anymore advice or suggestions from anyone

Throw in some reverse grip pull ups or pulldowns on back day.

I have been hitting them three times a week. Usually for four or five sets each time as part of a total body workout. Cheat/power curl day one, hammer curl day two, and reverse grip barbell curl on day three. It seems to be working so far. Too bad I have long arms and high muscle insertion points.

heres what i was thinking about trying for about a month

tuesday
incline db curls
bb curls
db hammers

saturday
sraight bar cable curls
reverse ezbar curls
onehanded cable curls - done in a giant set. for 3 sets.

advice or suggetion welcome

[quote]Joebob wrote:
I have been hitting them three times a week. Usually for four or five sets each time as part of a total body workout. Cheat/power curl day one, hammer curl day two, and reverse grip barbell curl on day three. It seems to be working so far. Too bad I have long arms and high muscle insertion points. [/quote]

I have fairly long arms w/relatively short bicep muscle bellies, but there is hope…

Develop your Brachialis and Brachioradialis along with your biceps and no one will ever notice your short biceps.

A well developed Brachioradialus is especially effective for filling in this area. Hammer curls and Reverse Curls are the best exercises I can think of for developing these…

www.exrx.net/Muscles/Brachioradialis.html

-james

I like the idea of hitting biceps 3xwk but doing regular curls, hammer curls and reverse curls on separate days. I think Waterbury even posted a routine similar to this. Allows you to increase frequency and not overtrain because of the different grips. Keep reps about 3 apart for each workout like 5,8,12 or so. Good luck!

Man you are totally missing the boat.

There’s nothing wrong with designing your own program, but in my own experience Waterbury’s Perfect 10 or HFT Handbook would be way better than that plan.

You may not be ready for HFTHB so you can just use the part of it that shows you principles for 5x/week training. Do that…at the very least. If not, use Perfect 10. They will blow your mind compared to your current method.

Here are some exercises I’m using for my upcoming 6x/wk HFTHB workouts, to target biceps.

BB Bicep row (bent-over row, work on contracting the biceps hard!)
wide BB curl
close-grip chin-up
drag curl (CT had this in a recent mini article)
wide chins emphasizing biceps (“mind-muscle” connection)
reverse-grip ez curl

DB bicep row
incline seated hammer curl
close-grip chins on square grip (of chin/dip station)
reverse drag curl
wide chins w/ square grip
db concentration curl

The first list is for my first 3 weeks of 6x/week HFT, and the second list is for my second 3 weeks. I deload in between. You may not think some of the exercises (rows, wide chins) hit biceps much, but it’s all about getting a hard contraction and finding the right form and load.

[quote]natural59 wrote:
Joebob wrote:
I have been hitting them three times a week. Usually for four or five sets each time as part of a total body workout. Cheat/power curl day one, hammer curl day two, and reverse grip barbell curl on day three. It seems to be working so far. Too bad I have long arms and high muscle insertion points.

I have fairly long arms w/relatively short bicep muscle bellies, but there is hope…

Develop your Brachialis and Brachioradialis along with your biceps and no one will ever notice your short biceps.

A well developed Brachioradialus is especially effective for filling in this area. Hammer curls and Reverse Curls are the best exercises I can think of for developing these…

www.exrx.net/Muscles/Brachioradialis.html

-james
[/quote]

So there is hope??? I am actually doing what you described right now. Along with some sort of vertical or horizontal pull every training session and my biceps are actually growing more than they ever have. They seem to respond well to a high training frequency.