T Nation

Biceps Size Increase

Maybe this is a dum question and impossible to answer: My Right bicep has much better progress than the left one. WHY?

On 20 April 2005, both of them measured 41,1 cm. This was the highest ever.

After about 1 year of TBT, my biceps made no progress. So on Nov 10th 2006, they were:
LEFT: 39,7 cm
RIGHT: 40,0 cm

Then I started a split routine. Separate day for biceps, separate day for triceps. I also applied Chad’s 100 reps program for Biceps/triceps. It seemed to work because in less than a month I got great results (in arms only). On Dec 9th 2006 my new measurements were:
LEFT: 40,4 cm (7 mm increase)
RIGHT: 41,0 cm (10 mm increase)

My right arm is supposed to be the stronger one. When I do Dumbel curls, I always start with the left arm. Plus I have a small injury on the right front shoulder, bothering me mostly when doing chest exercises. When I get tired, my right bicep falls 2 reps behind the left one. I also like to measure their progress often. I do it 1-3 times per day (I think it helps me focus on them). I notice I squeeze harder the right bicep.

i think maybe you’re focusing too much on upper arm size. i noticed that when i stopped worrying about arm size and started concentrating on overall gains my arms grew like weeds. I think that the difference in arm size will always be there, noone is that balanced.

It is not uncommon to have your non-dominant arm be larger than your dominant arm. I have heard that it probably has something to do with everyday usage, fiber recruitment and your dominant arm not getting enough true recovery. I don’t know if that is correct or not.

I am wondering how much of the size gains are sarcoplasmic (non functional). Maybe I will loose this gains fast and my biceps will become soft?

On Dec 16th 2006 my new and improved measurements were:
LEFT: 40,7 cm (10 mm increase)
RIGHT: 41,3 cm (13 mm increase)

On the same day I just did 5 reps with 36 kgrs with the EZ-bar curl. My previous record (couple of years ago) was 10x36 (when both biceps were around 41 cm).

So now my right bicep is at the highest ever. I am not on creatine right now (which is good). These are the best gains I had in less than a month (besides when I was a newbie).

[quote]BobPit wrote:
I am wondering how much of the size gains are sarcoplasmic (non functional).
[/quote]

What exactly do you mean by this?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
BobPit wrote:
I am wondering how much of the size gains are sarcoplasmic (non functional).

What exactly do you mean by this?[/quote]

I completely missed that one.

[quote]BobPit wrote:
Maybe this is a dum question and impossible to answer: My Right bicep has much better progress than the left one. WHY?

On 20 April 2005, both of them measured 41,1 cm. This was the highest ever.

After about 1 year of TBT, my biceps made no progress. So on Nov 10th 2006, they were:
LEFT: 39,7 cm
RIGHT: 40,0 cm

Then I started a split routine. Separate day for biceps, separate day for triceps. I also applied Chad’s 100 reps program for Biceps/triceps. It seemed to work because in less than a month I got great results (in arms only). On Dec 9th 2006 my new measurements were:
LEFT: 40,4 cm (7 mm increase)
RIGHT: 41,0 cm (10 mm increase)

My right arm is supposed to be the stronger one. When I do Dumbel curls, I always start with the left arm. Plus I have a small injury on the right front shoulder, bothering me mostly when doing chest exercises. When I get tired, my right bicep falls 2 reps behind the left one. I also like to measure their progress often. I do it 1-3 times per day (I think it helps me focus on them). I notice I squeeze harder the right bicep.

[/quote]

Due to the small injury on your right shoulder, the right bicep has less of a fixator to aid it in the lift. Thus you in-advertantly train it harder than the left. Which is why the right bicep gives out before the left one does. And since you are training it slightly harder than the left, it is getting bigger.

You should probably keep plugging away on your left bicep after the right one gives out so they both recieve the same amount of work.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
What exactly do you mean by this?[/quote]

My biceps are bigger than ever, but their strength is far from their peak. So maybe their size is not functional.

More info on this article: http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_muscle-equal.htm

[quote]BobPit wrote:
malonetd wrote:
What exactly do you mean by this?

My biceps are bigger than ever, but their strength is far from their peak. So maybe their size is not functional.

More info on this article: http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_muscle-equal.htm
[/quote]

Have you taken your TRICEPS into consideration? Also, as mentioned, a shoulder injury could decrease the amount of weight lifted for biceps curls. Aside from true isolation movements like concentration curls, your shoulders play a part in leverage as far as moving that weight in the first place. Regardless of what article you just posted, the idea that muscle gained is “unfunctional” needs to die. The idea that it is “sarcoplasmic” is even worse and not only needs to die, but be murdered, buried…then dug up and killed again.

ProfX

I do the 100 reps specialization for Biceps and triceps. I am not sure about the triceps strength level, compared to my older days. I have to measure it.

My right shoulder/pec seems allright now. Most of the time I lift the same reps with left and right hand.

I’ll know for sure on my next chest day.

So if you are right, I should be able to brake my biceps strength barrier in a short time.

On Dec 24th 2006 my new and improved measurements were:
LEFT: 40,9 cm (12 mm increase)
RIGHT: 41,9 cm (19 mm increase)

My strength had increased a lot at the biceps workout on Dec 22. But still I lift less than 2 years ago, when my biceps were 41 cm.

If it makes you feel any better I’ve never measured my biceps, but there has to be at least as much difference between mine as you have in yours to look at them.

My left one is a bit bigger and my right one is a bit stronger. Always been that way.