Biceps Seem to Be Missing Something

What is an exercise that targets the outer bicep/peak or whatever you call it. In both biceps there seems to be somewhat of a “dent” or a piece that seems to be missing. I’m assuming thats the outer bicep head or whatever. Obviously my workouts have been lacking a certain exercise?

What exercises do you usually do for arms? Usually a well rounded program will have the classic standing BB/DB curl, preacher curls (brachialis), hammer curls (brachioradialis), and incline curls.

Just focus on overall mass, the shape of your bicep is genetic and there’s not much you can do about. Adding mass will make the lack of shape less pronounced.

Are your arms over 15 inches? I am doubting it. If they aren’t don’t worry about it. Most likely what you are referring to is genetic, and you probably haven’t developed enough to know if you have it or not.

reverse grip curls
if i do any kind of curling, its that. works the outside of my forearms well. and of course the brachialis

do the curls and rotate your wrists at different angles…im not sure what area ure talkinga bout but rotate and work till u see that missing part do the work or when u feel it. say u do hammer curls that works your forearms and the more exterior side of your biceps right? whatever angle your wrists are at when they hit that missing part just work on that

Look up “Gironda curls”. I have been doing them lately and the pump is huge.

The bicep exercise that I seem to be leaving out the most is preacher curls. I don’t think that the missing portion of my bicep is genetic, I just think I may not be hitting that outer part of the muscle the right way. Do preacher curls tend to hit the outside? That may possibly be my missing link.

[quote]howie424 wrote:
The bicep exercise that I seem to be leaving out the most is preacher curls. I don’t think that the missing portion of my bicep is genetic, I just think I may not be hitting that outer part of the muscle the right way. Do preacher curls tend to hit the outside? That may possibly be my missing link.[/quote]

I must disagree with ab_power just a little. While the brachialis is hit fairly well with preacher curls (esp. if done with an EZ-curl bar), the best brachialis exercises are hammer curls or reverse curls.

The hammer curls do hit the brachiradialis, which is the muscle on the radial side (inside) of your forearm. However, they really hit your brachialis best.

They work best when you bring the DB in front if you across your stomach and up to the opposite pec. These are done in alternate fashion and often called ‘Pinwheels’. The trick is to pause and squeeze hard at the top of each rep.

Why do pinwheels work better than straight out in front of the body? Biomechanically, I’m not sure what happens, I just know that it does. You can test it right now while sitting at the PC:

• Make a hammer grip with your right hand and curl up straight in front of you until your forearm makes a 45-degree angle upwards.

• Reach over and put your left index and middle fingers in the area between your outer biceps and triceps (right).

• Keeping the fingers in place, rotate your right arm inward so your right hand is knuckles down on your upper left pec (think “Hail Caesar!”).

You should have felt a little knot grow as you did that. Your job — should you choose to accept it — is to make that knot grow into a bundle of muscle.

We’re not talking humoungous growth here. Probably going from a marble to a golf ball is the best you’re looking at.

Good Luck,
Scott

[quote]bmitch wrote:
howie424 wrote:
What is an exercise that targets the outer bicep/peak or whatever you call it. In both biceps there seems to be somewhat of a “dent” or a piece that seems to be missing. I’m assuming thats the outer bicep head or whatever. Obviously my workouts have been lacking a certain exercise?

I might be getting myself mixed up but I remember Poliquin saying something about the incline seated curl hitting a part of the bicep that isn’t normally hit and you can only hit it when your arm is infront of your heard or something… I might be talking about the wrong thing though… it’s in one of his questions of strength articles I think[/quote]

This article http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/variations_on_a_theme&cr=bodybuilding

Look at the “Incline Dumbbell Curls” section.