Biceps Ideas

Hey guys I am not happy with my Bi routine. I did a search and didnt come up with too much. I just wanted to get some new ideas and different things you guys are doing that I may be able to pick up. here is pretty much my routine so far
BI:
-3 sets of about 8 Inside preachers curl (3rd set is usually 4 or so)
-3 sets of outer grip
-dumbell curls usually 2 sets
-then 2 sets of hammer
-then I will finish it off with barbell curls (w/o using the squat rack…)
Thanks guys for any advise, if you need more info let me know

Mate, I wouldn’t usually post a reply to this sort of question but I feel compelled to offer the following words of hard-earned wisdom regarding your ‘bi’s’

Deadlifts, different variations of BB and DB rows and pull-ups/chins are all you need.

Trust me on this.

Oh yeah, eat more and lift heavier.

Rocket science this is not, hard work and application of knoweldge this is.

Cheers
MTS

second that on the basics idea. Body splits are so yesterday. For information sake, tell us your entire routine, sets, reps and poundages from three months ago and also include the poundages used in this routine this past week.

Yeah, anybody who does body splits is an idiot(whatever). Definitely do chins and pull-up, and rows, but you don’t have to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Do you ever superset?

What about giant sets?

There is one I do sometimes, where I pick 4 exercises, do them one right after the other, rest one minute, and repeat three times. It’s usually a pretty good shock, and it will hurt.

[quote]Kratos wrote:
Yeah, anybody who does body splits is an idiot(whatever). Definitely do chins and pull-up, and rows, but you don’t have to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Do you ever superset?

What about giant sets?

There is one I do sometimes, where I pick 4 exercises, do them one right after the other, rest one minute, and repeat three times. It’s usually a pretty good shock, and it will hurt.[/quote]
Follow his advice…

After you have put considerable size on, you can rely on DL’s and chining and such for basic maintainence.

For a beginner, you should learn to use supersets/giantsets, and dropsets. Train to failure and beyond failurewith forced reps or rest-pauses periodicly… don’t worry you won’t come anywhere near absolute failure or muscle failure(if your curling sideways, then you’re close). Beginners usually go to “this is too painful to curl anymore” failure.

A good beginner program would consist of DL’s once a week. Some Barbell and chinning once a week. And finally some isolation and some failure sets or dropsets once a week.

Don’t limit your exercise selection or training style… that only limits your overall development. Give everything a try at least once to see what your body responds to the best, and which exercises you think will give you the greatest success.

If you need a bicep program that badly, I’d gladly write one up for you… but I suggest experimenting first. Don’t take anybody’s word for it. I never did. By the way, the best routine for success won’t be the routine itself, it will be your intensity and your commitment to the routine.

I am currently in the low 190’s lbs and dropping. I was about 168lbs 2-1/2 months ago. So I put on alittle over 20lbs of weight. Mind you I am only 5’7. My deadlift is actually fine. I am at 375lbs, and I do deadlifts every other week. My problem is I just am not happy with my Bi work out. here is the 2-3 months ago and now max weight you were asking for:
-Inside preach: 125lbs/145lbs
-Outside preach: 105lbs/125lbs
-DB Curls(sitting): 35lbs/45lbs
-hammer (sitting): 40lbs/50lbs

I am actually going to be dropping weight soon too, for more of an Athletic style training, IE: more cardio/MMA/BJJ. Hopefully will get a sled too.
I just wanted to see what other people were doing for Bi’s and get some ideas off of it

[quote]Mr ian wrote:
I am currently in the low 190’s lbs and dropping. I was about 168lbs 2-1/2 months ago. So I put on alittle over 20lbs of weight. Mind you I am only 5’7. My deadlift is actually fine. I am at 375lbs, and I do deadlifts every other week. My problem is I just am not happy with my Bi work out. here is the 2-3 months ago and now max weight you were asking for:

I am actually going to be dropping weight soon too, for more of an Athletic style training, IE: more cardio/MMA/BJJ. Hopefully will get a sled too.
I just wanted to see what other people were doing for Bi’s and get some ideas off of it [/quote]

If your looking for bicep blasting routines, I’ll give you one of mine I used. You probably won’t like it though… this one hurts if you’re not used to alot of volume.
Anyways… here ya go.

Warm up with 25’s - 100 reps each.

3 Sets of strippers
4 part Stripper set - BARBELL CURL
15 reps, strip a plate, 15 more, strip a plate, 15 more, strip a plate, 15 more. Rest 1-2 minutes between sets.

I did this every other day. Then the days in between I did one set of one-arm-dumbbell-preacher-curls with a medium weight for about 15 reps, then rest-pause all the way to 100 reps.

[quote]MaxTheSilent wrote:
Mate, I wouldn’t usually post a reply to this sort of question but I feel compelled to offer the following words of hard-earned wisdom regarding your ‘bi’s’

Deadlifts, different variations of BB and DB rows and pull-ups/chins are all you need.

Trust me on this.

Cheers
MTS[/quote]

Why would he avoid biceps curls when training BICEPS?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
MaxTheSilent wrote:

[/quote]

Because squats are what give you big arms, duh.

Wanna try something neat?

Do a 10x3 for curls between sets of deadlifts.

Hit them as hard and fast as you possibly can.
(just watch your chin though, cracking it with the bar hurts)

[quote]MJD wrote:
Professor X wrote:
MaxTheSilent wrote:

[/quote]

I am starting to believe that is a myth.

I have done routines that consist of the only the basic compound movements. And while my benches and deadlifts etc did improve, my arms flattened out from lack of direct work.

This of course changed once I started training them again.

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
MJD wrote:
Professor X wrote:
MaxTheSilent wrote:

I am starting to believe that is a myth.

I have done routines that consist of the only the basic compound movements. And while my benches and deadlifts etc did improve, my arms flattened out from lack of direct work.

This of course changed once I started training them again.[/quote]

The problem is people take basic concepts to an extreme. Your body grows as a whole. I would think the guy who trains EVERYTHING is going to make more overall progress than the guy who starts out like most dummies and only does bench press and curls. People have now taken that to the extreme and now think that avoiding all isolation work is the best way to grow. That’s retarded. They also have smaller arms most of the time.

Some say no direct arm work some people will give bi’s and tri’s their own day each. My personal view is somewhere in the middle.

If your getting stronger on the compound work and a couple of isolation exercises AND gaining body weight you shouldnt have issues with your arms getting bigger. I know lots of individuals including myself who just throw in some curls/extension at the end of whatever workout a few days a week and their arms arent lagging.

Trust me on this.

Cheers
MTS[/quote]

Deadlifts don’t work your biceps. Maybe what you do works your biceps, but you’re not doing deadlifts.

If you really want to hit your biceps hard, and you are not going to rely on squats or deadlifts (I second the Cap’n’s comment) you can try a couple of things:

First train your back hard and heavy, use supersets, dropsets, etc. Try using a supinated grip on you last couple of sets (pullups, pulldowns, rows, etc). After your back workout, your bi’s should be fairly fatigued.

For your direct biceps work, pick 3 diffent exercises…one exercise that puts your arm behind your torso (i.e. incline curls) so you have a stretch on the biceps…one where your arm is in line with your torso (DB, EZ Curl, Straight bar,etc.), and one where your arm is in front of your torso (concentration curls, preacher, etc) so you work it in a contracted position. Try hitting each exercise with a different grip (pronated, hammer, supinated) or different bar (straight,EZ,fat bar,or cables). Try the drop sets, or if you find that one grip is much stronger than another, rep out with you weak grip, and then switch to your strong grip for a few more.

[quote]Mr ian wrote:

[/quote]

I am surprised your weights are quite good on the preacher curl but not very good with dumbbells, so that makes me think something is up. Personally I like regular EZ curls better than preacher, and at the weight you are using it can be hard on your forearms. My guess is that you should be able to dumbbell curl (with one dumbbell) about 40% of what you can curl on the EZ Bar, and obviously you should be able to use more weight on a standing curl than a preacher curl.

Trust me on this.

[/quote]
That’s great, but you may want to include actual bicep exercises in your routine. I rarely feel a pump in my biceps when I do deadlifts and rows. I geting much better results with some form of direct arm work.

I did a typical body part split for many many years and my body grew. But once I switched to mostly multijoint excercises using the Westside approach, I blew up. I still do direct bicep work but it’s light and mostly circuit style stuff

In my opinion, nothing can beat heavy rows and pulldowns. I feel that my biceps get much more stimulation through heavy bent over rows than regular curls.

I’ll typically pick four different bicep exercises do them in a circuit to failure on an accesory day for two sets. That’s it. Anymore than that my arms ache throughout the week.

meat

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Wanna try something neat?

Do a 10x3 for curls between sets of deadlifts.

Hit them as hard and fast as you possibly can.
(just watch your chin though, cracking it with the bar hurts)
[/quote]

awesome dude this is a good advice to fuck your bicep up!!! i would like to know where you all get that crap of infos from!!!

unreal

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
I did a typical body part split for many many years and my body grew. But once I switched to mostly multijoint excercises using the Westside approach, I blew up. I still do direct bicep work but it’s light and mostly circuit style stuff

In my opinion, nothing can beat heavy rows and pulldowns. I feel that my biceps get much more stimulation through heavy bent over rows than regular curls.

I’ll typically pick four different bicep exercises do them in a circuit to failure on an accesory day for two sets. That’s it. Anymore than that my arms ache throughout the week.

meat[/quote]

I’m confused. I do a body part split and always have. I have grown well from it. I also do heavy rows and pulldowns. How is it you think those would be excluded from a body part split? My biceps get stimulated from that AND direct work. Why do some of you seem to think it is “either or”?