Biceps Height

5’7" 190 lbs body fat, 12-13 % arms 16 inches but in a round sort of way, not high.

How do you get them to grow upwards? Went from easy curl bar to barbell and started doing isolation curls but nothing yet.

Any idears

Bicep height is genetic. The length of your muscle bellies and arms play a huge role. You can add size to them with basic weight lifting and eating lots, but you can’t do anything naturally to alter the shape exept add size.

You may not be able to alter the shape of the bicep muscle. But there is more at play when you look at the upper arm flexors in total. Try the following program. It helped me gain a noticable difference in bicep “height”.

Standing dumbell curls (strict)
preacher curls
hammer curls

By adding size to the brachialis and radiobrachialis, you can “push up” the bicep, since it overlies them, and add some illusion of a higher peak. The program is worth a try. especailly if you are not totally happy with your present one.

Do your regular routine then add 2-3 sets of high rep curls with your elbows above your ears. Fell the burn.
I like using a lat machine with a narrow grip with palms up and pulling behind my head. The elevated angle seems to really enhance the peak.

According to Arnold doing suppination curls will create the peak that you are looking for.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
According to Arnold doing suppination curls will create the peak that you are looking for.[/quote]
I will try it.
thanks HW

wasn’t there an article here about pop 'em out muscle or something like that? referred to how some muscles appearance can be altered by working other muscles, pec minor to make chest fuller looking, brachialis to make the upper arm flexor height appear higher…

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
wasn’t there an article here about pop 'em out muscle or something like that? referred to how some muscles appearance can be altered by working other muscles, pec minor to make chest fuller looking, brachialis to make the upper arm flexor height appear higher…[/quote]

That is an interesting concept.
I hope I remember to research that when I actually have some muscle on my body!
:stuck_out_tongue:

No no no, he didn’t say biceps, he said bicept. The special little muscle that reaches from the ears to the anus. Thats why he said idEARS.

The best exercise for that is butt squeezes. Fill each hand with 1/2 a stick of butter, and squeeze into the buttock cheeks. Be sure to look in the mirror while doing this exercise.

Seriously, the way the muscle looks is based on genetics. Your types of exercise will have little effect on whether or not your biceps have peaks or not.

And the pop out muscle article is not about changing the shape of muscle, but about working certain smaller muscles to help the larger muscle develop.

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=191pop2

[quote]The Mage wrote:
No no no, he didn’t say biceps, he said bicept. The special little muscle that reaches from the ears to the anus. Thats why he said idEARS.

The best exercise for that is butt squeezes. Fill each hand with 1/2 a stick of butter, and squeeze into the buttock cheeks. Be sure to look in the mirror while doing this exercise.

Seriously, the way the muscle looks is based on genetics. Your types of exercise will have little effect on whether or not your biceps have peaks or not.

And the pop out muscle article is not about changing the shape of muscle, but about working certain smaller muscles to help the larger muscle develop.

[/quote]

Good Post. The only thing I would add to what you wrote is that the OP should make sure the people giving him advice actually have bigger arms than he does.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
The Mage wrote:

Good Post. The only thing I would add to what you wrote is that the OP should make sure the people giving him advice actually have bigger arms than he does.[/quote]

Yeah, I guess we all forgot that sound principles and physiology only apply when the person giving advice to you is bigger than you are. I guess I need to cancel my physiology of the heart lecture, because most of the students will be bigger than me, so the priciples I was going to teach must not be applicable.

The Mage wrote:

Good Post. The only thing I would add to what you wrote is that the OP should make sure the people giving him advice actually have bigger arms than he does.[/quote]

Actually the only way to make your arms bigger is with rows and pullups. Isolation does nothing, and has been rumored to make the arms shrink.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
Professor X wrote:
The Mage wrote:

Good Post. The only thing I would add to what you wrote is that the OP should make sure the people giving him advice actually have bigger arms than he does.

Actually the only way to make your arms bigger is with rows and pullups. Isolation does nothing, and has been rumored to make the arms shrink. [/quote]

Yah, my arms have been getting a lot strong now that I started doing chins / pull’s/

Yah, my arms have been getting a lot strong now that I started doing chins / pull’s/[/quote]

He was joking. You need help if you believe your arms shrink from training them directly.

DanErickson wrote:

Yah, my arms have been getting a lot strong now that I started doing chins / pull’s/

He was joking. You need help if you believe your arms shrink from training them directly.[/quote]

Oh I never actually thought that your arms shrink from direct training. But I have found that my biceps have been improving a lot more with compound movements as opposed to isolation.

Professor X wrote:
DanErickson wrote:

He was joking. You need help if you believe your arms shrink from training them directly.

Oh I never actually thought that your arms shrink from direct training. But I have found that my biceps have been improving a lot more with compound movements as opposed to isolation.[/quote]

You are 6 feet tall and weigh 185lbs. You haven’t even been training long enough to compare whether isolation exercises “work” for you or not. At your stage of training ANYTHING that stresses the target muscle group will produce results as long as you are eating enough.

Professor X wrote:
DanErickson wrote:

Oh I never actually thought that your arms shrink from direct training. But I have found that my biceps have been improving a lot more with compound movements as opposed to isolation.[/quote]

I don’t doubt that you can make gains from doing pullups. Its that a lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon for not doing direct work. I have plenty of time to work out so I do both rows and direct work, and I’ve seen better gains from it than I did when I bought into the “no direct work” junk.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459427

That is the article.

I am not going to try the butter thing no matter what. I have been doing some direct arm training and they havent shrunk yet. if anything the shirts seem to be getting smaller
HW