Biceps and Back

I would really appreciate some advice regarding my back and bicep developement.

Whoever can post some good back exercises or a good back and bi routine, well it would be really helpful to me. I do not know how to deadlift and I’m in the process of learning, and right now wide grip assisted chins and heavy rows are the cornerstones of my back developement but I’m looking for more. My biceps on the other hand have been stalled so if anybody can offer any pointers on the subject of arms in general that would be great. Basically just any mistakes I could be making, ideas, exercises, tips etc. I know for a fact that my calorie intake is sufficient for growth but I think I need a new training approach so I came here looking for help. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

-Hawksmoor

(21 years old, 6’1, 187, 10.8% bodyfat)

10.8 % fat, how are you getting that accurate ?

Anyway, biceps wise, if they are lagging for some reason try some exercises like Hammer curls and reverse preacher curl along with regular barbell and dumbell curls. The first two exercises work the brachialis well, essential for bringing the upper arm up along with the bi’s and tri’s.

If your upper body is being stubborn in general, work your legs more.

Are you lifting your back heavy? I have gotten rid of all bicep isolation movements and my biceps are bigger than when I was curling. Now I only curl when I go work out with my partner b/c he loves to curl. Try some chins, underhand grip bent over rows, neutral grip cable rows, etc.

I believe Mike Robertson said it best. “Wanna Grow? Gotta Row!” My arms grow best when I focus on rowing and pressing instead of doing isolation exercises.

As far as his 10.8% bf measurement I assume he’s using one of those impedance scales. They usually have a precision of .1% Although as we all know their accuracy is questionable.

I have found that the combination of pull-ups and heavy rows have been better for me. I never have had many results from direct bicep work but everyone is different in how they might respond to various lifts.

Rows,presses,and deadlifts(my favorite) work for me.

I use a reverse grip when I do bent over rows and my lower back becomes very tight, I believe I’m using too much weight and have to steep of an angle in my back, if anybody else has any suggestions that would cool.

Thanks for all the help and the info.

-Hawksmoor

[quote]Hawksmoor wrote:
I use a reverse grip when I do bent over rows and my lower back becomes very tight, I believe I’m using too much weight and have to steep of an angle in my back, if anybody else has any suggestions that would cool.

Thanks for all the help and the info.

-Hawksmoor[/quote]

If you “think” you might be using too much weight then you are. Form comes first always. As far as movements for the back

Rows(Seated,bent,chest supported,DB)
Deadlift
Pullup(or chin ups or Pulldowns if your too weak for pullups)

As far as biceps I know it seems like a no brainer but make sure your keeping the arms tight and squeezing at the top. Sometimes alot of people just toss the weight up and down with crappy form.

my favorite bicep exercises on top of regular DB and BB curls!

Incline bicep curls
Gironda Perfect Curl
Drag Curl
Reverse Preacher Curls

Row, heavy. BB rows are great, I love them. Also weighted pullups are great for the bi’s and back. These two back exercises will add mass to both your back and bi’s, trust me.

If you want to directly work your bi’s, I suggest strict BB curls. No cheating or rounding the back. Stand straight up and slowly curl the weight without swaying or using your legs to finisht the movement.

Thanks for those recent tips K-NARF and BIGRAGOO.

I actually just did my back workout today and it goes as follows

Reverse Grip Bent Over Rows:
4 sets of 8-10

Assisted Wide Grip Chins:
3 sets of 12

Seated Cable Rows:
2 sets of 12
2 sets of 10

Reverse Grip Pulldowns
2 sets of 12
1 set of 10

Pulldown machine
3 sets of 10

I’m beginning to think that is too much volume, and I’m wondering if anybody in here as has had success with Uni-Lateral Rowing Machines.

-Hawksmoor

[quote]Hawksmoor wrote:

4 sets of 8-10

3 sets of 12

Seated Cable Rows:
2 sets of 12
2 sets of 10

Reverse Grip Pulldowns
2 sets of 12
1 set of 10

Pulldown machine
3 sets of 10

I’m beginning to think that is too much volume, and I’m wondering if anybody in here as has had success with Uni-Lateral Rowing Machines.

-Hawksmoor [/quote]

Honestly I think that the free weight exercises should be done heavier with a 6-8 rep scheme. Save the higher reps for the machines. You need to really tax the muscle groups with the free weights and then use the machines to “finish” them.

[quote]Hawksmoor wrote:

4 sets of 8-10

3 sets of 12

Seated Cable Rows:
2 sets of 12
2 sets of 10

Reverse Grip Pulldowns
2 sets of 12
1 set of 10

Pulldown machine
3 sets of 10

-Hawksmoor [/quote]

That is an assload of volume. 17 sets for approximately 170 reps of back work. And they are all with the same rep parameters. This equals bad.

I would suggest that you look at some of the authors’ work on this site.

Reduce the overall volume and mix up the reps and sets more.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote:

4 sets of 8-10

3 sets of 12

Seated Cable Rows:
2 sets of 12
2 sets of 10

Reverse Grip Pulldowns
2 sets of 12
1 set of 10

Pulldown machine
3 sets of 10

-Hawksmoor

Honestly I think that the free weight exercises should be done heavier with a 6-8 rep scheme. Save the higher reps for the machines. You need to really tax the muscle groups with the free weights and then use the machines to “finish” them.[/quote]

Yeah if your doing pullups there is no reason to be doing another 6 sets of pulldowns…

Stick to 3x8 for a while,make sure your form is good then start slowly upping the weight…On my major lifts I usually start at around 8 reps then up weight while dropping reps. I know alot of people aren’t huge fans of this but its always worked very very well for me.

You may try EDT for arms by Staley. You will really feel the growing pains.

The EDT Arm Specialization Mesocycle
One Inch in One Month (Oh, and Yes, It WILL Hurt!)
by Charles Staley

To say that Charles Staley’s Escalating Density Training (EDT) articles have generated a lot of interest is the understatement of the millennium… we’ve received hundreds of letters raving about the unusually large (and fast) gains people are making on EDT. We asked Charles if he could provide us with a specialization progr…
Full Article | Discuss this article
See article under the Authors section featuring Charles Staley. GOOD LUCK!!

As for back…Deads are one of the greatest back builders along with heavy rows. If you are still having problems deadlifting make a post for just questioning Deadlift technique. There are a lot of gus who could explain it better than some of us. GOOD LUCK!!!