Bicep Tear Video

A lot more to it than just saying preacher curls are dangerous just because someone tears a bicep. I could probably throw up a video of someone getting hurt on any type of exercise. It’s like Kevin Ware saying he will never attempt to block a 3 pointer ever again. Just because someone else gets hurt doing a certain type of exercise doesn’t necessarily make it dangerous. Things just happen sometimes!

you see how vulnerable the tendon is when you go down? you try not to drop it on the bench and it just hovers in a dangerous position. the dumbbell is dumb and it bounces around. a curl bar would have been better. machine even better.
i can see immediately how bad that exercise is

[quote]eremesu wrote:
you see how vulnerable the tendon is when you go down?[/quote]

There are any number of exercises that place that type of stress on the tendon. Mr Dr. told me he sees more tendon ruptures from pull ups than any thing else???

and more rotator cuffs injuries from bench press…so what have we to do? avoid curls because are Dangerous, chin ups either, squat also because is risky for the back; so let’s start to play soccer or volleyball?? LOL

[quote]buzza wrote:
and more rotator cuffs injuries from bench press…so what have we to do? avoid curls because are Dangerous, chin ups either, squat also because is risky for the back; so let’s start to play soccer or volleyball?? LOL[/quote]

I pulled a hamstring playing lawn bowls once. Clearly, lawn bowls is to be avoided.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:
and more rotator cuffs injuries from bench press…so what have we to do? avoid curls because are Dangerous, chin ups either, squat also because is risky for the back; so let’s start to play soccer or volleyball?? LOL[/quote]

I pulled a hamstring playing lawn bowls once. Clearly, lawn bowls is to be avoided.[/quote]
Ha Ha! I tweaked my shoulder reaching around to put my seat belt on a few months ago. Took over a month before I was back to 100%. When you get old, shit like this happens too often… Pretty sure I will continue to keep that seat belt on though. Maybe we can turn this thread into another Dumb-Ass things I did that led to an injury.

Nothing seemed off with respect to your form. I wouldn’t try to over-analyze it - I completely ruptured my pec tendon while doing strict incline dumbbell flys - things sometimes happen without any seeming explanation. I researched my injury to death, and still have no clue why it occurred. I hope you make a quick recovery.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
sucks dude, video was totally gross too.

Excuse my ignorance, but how serious is that? I’m guessing it’s pretty serious. Does it need surgery? Will it ever go back to normal?[/quote]

Well, it definitely needs surgery to re-attach the tendon. Now, strength wise, almost everybody gains upwards of 90% of their previous strength, and not too uncommon to make it even stronger. Depends on a bunch of different factors. 9-12 to full recovery. And to answer to the OP, I believe that because you almost straightened your arm at that last rep, the tendon took way too much stress. I feel like my tendons are going to rip when I am doing preacher curls, Hence I am not doing them, unless I have piss light weight, as a last exercise for around 20 slow and SUPER controlled reps. I am hoping for a speedy recovery OP!

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

I pulled a hamstring playing lawn bowls once. Clearly, lawn bowls is to be avoided.[/quote]

I pulled a trap joining in at my girlfriends mum’s Zumba class

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]eremesu wrote:
you see how vulnerable the tendon is when you go down?[/quote]

There are any number of exercises that place that type of stress on the tendon. Mr Dr. told me he sees more tendon ruptures from pull ups than any thing else???
[/quote]

i agree. i bet he makes a living off crossfit injuries.
still when i see an exercise that makes me cringe on the first rep i trust my instinct.
i believe there are good exercises and bad ones

[quote]MaazerSmiit wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

[/quote]

I have heard from my UK m8s that Zumba could be very Dangerous…

Just curious, how much does it cost to have a biceps tear fixed? Unless it was shortly before the Olympia, I often wonder why Dorian Yates didn’t repair his right away.

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

[/quote]

I have heard from my UK m8s that Zumba could be very Dangerous…[/quote]

dangerously fucking lucrative! There’s a big sports arena next to where I live where I use the running track sometimes (rarely…) and they hold a massive zumba class there. You’re talking 400 people, all paying to use the class, and every single person is kitted out with zumba shoes, zumba leggings, zumba vests, zumba heabands, zumba wristbands and those stupid zumba toning sticks.

Even if all that kit was cheap, which I doubt very much it is, that class alone must make a FORTUNE

[quote]honkey kong wrote:
Honestly not sure how this happened. I have incorporated this into my training for a very long time with no issues at all. Any thoughts?[/quote]
You can get things like micro tears without ever knowing and then one day hit the muscle just right to create a full tear. I have a friend who tore his bicep this way just picking up a 5lb piece of plywood in his yard.

I have also heard from Meadows and others, that you shouldn’t go down as far as you were taking the weight on preacher curls.

Sucks though… I hate that it happened to you.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

[/quote]

I have heard from my UK m8s that Zumba could be very Dangerous…[/quote]

dangerously fucking lucrative! There’s a big sports arena next to where I live where I use the running track sometimes (rarely…) and they hold a massive zumba class there. You’re talking 400 people, all paying to use the class, and every single person is kitted out with zumba shoes, zumba leggings, zumba vests, zumba heabands, zumba wristbands and those stupid zumba toning sticks.

Even if all that kit was cheap, which I doubt very much it is, that class alone must make a FORTUNE[/quote]

if we all iron addicts wear same leggins LOL

Arms today, no preacher curls of any kind. Srsly fckk youu op why you show me this…

I tore mine off last year doing deads… alternate grip… Within 6 months it was stronger than it was prior to injury…its now my stronger arm… go get it fixed… This didnt happen spontaneously… definitely not with that amount of weight… They occur after years of micro trauma… and eventually they just give out. Get it fixed soon… before it atrophies… otherwise your chances of being 100% decrease… I also have a video of mine but I won’t ever watch it again… makes me sick to watch it… Takes more time for you metally to get past it than physically.

Chances are you will stop going to full extension on those maybe forever… LOL

Any way to prevent these or am I just doomed to wait for the inevitable?

So I was out to dinner with Jose Raymond and Branden Ray (Both IFBB pros) the other night and as you might assume, the topic of my bicep tear came up. After showing them the video both of them agreed that the range of motion used in the video was far too much for this exercise and puts an exceptional load on the distal end of the bicep. Both were certain this had a lot to do with the tear.

I also had a lengthy conversation with Chris Mason (the owner of AtLarge nutrition) whom I have always considered to be an expert of sorts on the subject of weight training and and human physiology. He seemed to think that coming back from long periods (a month or more) of rest post surgery or otherwise played a large role. He was saying that in the book Super Training by Mel Siff he referrs to the muscles ability to adapt to heavy loads quickly (a week~) after periods of down time. He also said that tendons and ligaments can take as long as 8-12 weeks to reach the same level of adaptation to heavy loads.

Lastly I spoke with Becca Swanson (A good friend) and she was saying that it likely had something to to with the antibiotics I was on in Dec and january for my knee surgery. Which I honestly haven’t had time to research at ths point but definately makes sense.

So it sounds like there were a few contributing factors to this incident. Live and learn I guess.

And just so everybody knows, it was a full bicep tendon rupture, I had surgery last Friday and am now on the mend. Thank you for all the kind words and encouragement it’s very appreciated!