Bicep Tear Video

Honestly not sure how this happened. I have incorporated this into my training for a very long time with no issues at all. Any thoughts?

wow that was nasty—normally i dont watch stuff like that but im hoping to get into a para medicine program soon so i figure i better get used to stuff like this.

To me it looked like you were not doing anything dangerous-- but perhaps going a bit too deep on the movement and putting the wrong kind of stress on the muscle… most people warn against going to deep on preacher movements

wish you a speedy recovery.

oh my god ouch.

I’m not sure I’ll use the preacher bench again.

ew

Did you cry? Cause I woulda cried.

sucks dude, video was totally gross too.

Excuse my ignorance, but how serious is that? I’m guessing it’s pretty serious. Does it need surgery? Will it ever go back to normal?

dude…

Ahhhhhhhh!

That looked painful. So, before I never do that exercise again…did he actually do something wrong or what? I’ve heard you don’t go too deep but I was assuming that was fine!

Tendon ruptures can be acute or the end result of a chronic situation. It would be interesting to find out the lifters injury history, bicep volume, etc. When I see it happen that deep in a set I generally suspect there was a pre-existing condition. I had a rupture of my left bicep tendon at the shoulder in Aug. of 2009. It separted right at the bicepital groove of the humuras (a natural chafing point). Although it happened in the gym, the Dr. said it could have happened just as easily carrying groceries into the house.

IMO…the mistake most lifters make on preachers is ‘leaning back’ away from the D.Bell rather than remaining ‘over the top’ of the shoulder looking down the arm. This movement should never be performed while sitting.

I ruptured the left, distal end of my bicep in Nov. of 2009 and had it surgically reattached 2 weeks later. My injury also occurred while curling on a preacher bench (e-z bar curl, bilateral), several reps into a 10 rep set, using a weight that I had used before. I went through the same mental process as the OP, trying to figure out the cause of the tear.

I didn’t have any pain or discomfort in my biceps/elbow area prior to the injury, so I believe, as BlueCollar mentioned, that the tear was the result of an acute injury. Preacher curls really put a ton of pressure on the distal end of the biceps, especially when one is seated and leaning away from the weight (as I often see people do). In hindsight, I was using wayyyyy too much weight (45’s on each side of the EZ bar)… for me at least. Since the injury, I have had much better success training arms (triceps too) the Mountaindog way (higher reps, lighter weight, intensity techniques, slow negatives, etc).

OP - keep your head up. It’s a shitty injury, but if you’re smart and patient with your physical therapy, you’ll be at 80-90% within 6 months after surgery… at least I was. The tricky part is making up that last 5-10%. I’m still gradually bring up my left bicep almost 4 years later.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Tendon ruptures can be acute or the end result of a chronic situation. It would be interesting to find out the lifters injury history, bicep volume, etc. When I see it happen that deep in a set I generally suspect there was a pre-existing condition. I had a rupture of my left bicep tendon at the shoulder in Aug. of 2009. It separted right at the bicepital groove of the humuras (a natural chafing point). Although it happened in the gym, the Dr. said it could have happened just as easily carrying groceries into the house.

IMO…the mistake most lifters make on preachers is ‘leaning back’ away from the D.Bell rather than remaining ‘over the top’ of the shoulder looking down the arm. This movement should never be performed while sitting.

[/quote]

Super interesting. I always do them standing and leaning forward just because I once was working in with some large mofo with grapefruits for biceps, I just followed suit and never changed it or questioned it. Just feels right that way. Cool info

also, is that video the OP or just a dude he found. That is a large human being.

[quote]Waittz wrote:
also, is that video the OP or just a dude he found. That is a large human being. [/quote]

That is the OP

[quote]IFlashBack wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:
also, is that video the OP or just a dude he found. That is a large human being. [/quote]

That is the OP[/quote]

OP is a large human being.

I ruptured my distal biceps tendon in 2001, had it surgically repaired a week later. Mine was definitely the result of chronic damage. In my youth (ie, 20s), I employed a 3 on/1 off split of Chest & Back/Legs & Shoulders/Arms/Off. C&B day involved heavy pulling for Back, as well as heavy DB flies (very biceps stressful–is what Tom Platz was doing when he ruptured his biceps tendon) for chest.

Shoulders involved heavy close-grip upright rows (we didn’t know how crappy an exercise it was), and Arms day wasn’t complete without heavy curls. After several years of this, I began to experience chronic nagging pain in both proximal forearms that I (mis)interpreted as brachioradialis irritation, and subsequently ignored.

Fast-forward to 2001, and I’m playing a ball game (Four-Square) with my kids. Upon spiking the ball with a hard underhand motion, I felt a sharp searing pain in my ‘brachioradialis’ and knew immediately something bad had happened. When I saw that my bicep was contracted up near my shoulder, I realized all at once that 1) my years of brachioradialis pain had in fact been biceps insertion pain, 2) my bodypart split and exercise selections had fried my biceps tendons, and 3) that I was an idiot for not realizing all this years ago.

Ironically, my repaired bicep looks better than my other one–my orthopod had to lengthen it a little to re-attach the tendon, resulting in a longer and ‘fuller’ appearance. And yes, to this day my other tendon still hurts. Needless to say, I’ve backed off on the weight, instituted a more tendon-friendly split, and NEVER do movements that excessively stress the tendon in extension (read: preacher curls). So I’m SURE I’ll never rupture my other tendon…

Almost looked like a severe cramp. Tearing the lower head is unusual but the torque and range at the bottom could be the main cause. I would say an improper warm up/over use could cause that for sure. usually the tear come from an extension but the middle of the bi would tear. A lot of people tear from tire flips in the same manner.

ive read that the more aas you pin into a muscle the more likely it is to tear/rupture…

not sure if that’s true though, but i kinda cringe when i read about guys pinning 3ml into each biceps head

I hate that feeling where you know something bad has just happened to you.

I fell off a fence and snapped my wrist. I heard it snap and knew immediately I was going to have a bad time. I still remember the cold sweat and shakes I got from that

just looking at the exercise i can see why i have never done it. it looks too awkward. i do the machine version and it is much smoother

I am never going full ROM on preacher curls, ever… again…