Bicep Tear Prevention

I get what you’re saying, and I guess there could be some debate about whether “full ROM” means complete lockout to complete contraction, 95% lockout to 95% contraction, or some variation around there.

My main point was that he’s only doing extremely limited-ROM training (less than 50%) and isn’t efficiently preparing the biceps/elbow musculature to work in a supportive role in heavier lifts where the arms will be under load in that extended position. So when the question is “What should I do to avoid a biceps tear?”, “Don’t only train bis with a super-limited ROM” pops out as an obvious answer.

I do still believe that, even though there’s always a risk:reward to balancing ROM with resistance on any exercise, there’s definite benefit to training with 100% complete ROM in some manner when the goal is to build joint health/stability. The specific exercise, load, and volume - whether it’s with super-high rep Poundstone curls, moderate-rep work with resistance bands, progressively heavier dumbbells, or whatever - depends on a bunch of other factors (goal, pre-existing conditions, other training, etc.).

1 Like

Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to terminology.

Now I have had issues where my biceps go underneath my shoulders and golfer’s elbow.

What helped clear up the issues and prevented them from happening again is simply high rep cable curls supersetted with high rep cable tricep extensions. Like in the 15-30 rep range each.

Which cable ext. and curls? A variety of them! Work’em from multiple angles.

Don’t kill yourself with these, just go for a pump and a burn with a few reps left in the tank each set. Just a couple sets like in a training session goes a long way for me.

The idea is basically just to get some blood flowing into your arms to help the muscle and other structures recover.

1 Like

there’s no way on God’s green Earth that I’d ever do a one arm dumbbell preacher.

EVERY SINGLE video of a biceps tear I’ve watched (why the fuck do I even watch them?) has been someone doing the single arm preacher.

Nae way.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of preacher curls, either one-arm or two. It puts the distal biceps tendon in such a vulnerable position at the bottom of the movement.

1 Like

exactly, and you get like 2/3 or the movement under tension? Risk:reward just isn’t there for me.

2 Likes

No mention of Zerchers? Those things are a bicep tear waiting to happen according to some…

1 Like

Most bicep tears happen on heavy pulls when you begin to lose grip and keep holding on , or events like car and tire flips. Thats why you see jay cutler using straps with any thing over 225 on rows, deadlifts, Pulldowns.

1 Like

see, I’ve never really understood that. I’ve fucked around with zerchers a bit and have never felt any strain in my biceps.

I could well have been doing them wrong, but who does zerchers anyway…

1 Like

Wow.So many people took the time to respond.Thanks guys

So…

@Chris_Colucci and @EyeDentist
Great info from both of you.I plan on doing some full rom curls at least once a week without necessarily trying overextend at the elbow.Just ol’ good curls.They’ll mainly be light though,for sets of 15-20 for the most part

I see what you are saying and I gotta confess I’m guilty of neglecting my bicep rep work a bit.I’ll start adding in some sets of 15+ reps of cable curls,hammers,reverse barbell curls ect

Would that be for limited rom preacher curls too?For example like this guy does(of course building up to it.I would start with sets of 10)

Oh and a last one,would the same go for table curls?

I don’t know anything about training for arm wrestling, so if that exercise is a staple then I guess you gotta do what you gotta do, but I wouldn’t.

Let your form slip even a little and you’re in the danga zone.

You’re right on that one.Since I just want forearms I’m better off sticking with the safer arm wrestling movements

Limited ROM preacher curls as depicted in the video are much safer. So long as the forearm goes no farther than parallel to the floor, it’s a substantially safer movement.

1 Like

Similar to limited-ROM preachers, that exercise avoids the extended position, so would be less likely (than a full preacher curl) to result in a rupture.

That said, IMHO both limited-ROM preacher curls as well as table curls put the lifter at greater risk of rupture, because both prevent the subtle, instinctive, on-the-fly adjustments in elbow angle that lifters employ to protect their tendons when ‘free’ curling heavy weights.

1 Like

Opinion Based Speculation Post:

Body builders use the preacher curl to isolate and really challenge the bicep. Similar to incline curls(sitting on an incline bench). Or like a fly. You use the “weak position” to get more tension and make the muscle go on its own. Like carefully going into the danger zone.

Arm wrestlers are using the curl in reverse. They are trying to teach themselves to use more back/shoulder/pec to control their arm and elbow position. They are actively training to keep from getting extended. Like resisting getting pulled into the danger zone.

Lots of bicep, without getting pulled into danger.

1 Like