T Nation

Bicep Shape

Just a quick question regarding bicep shape.
I understand bicep insertions, peak and shape is largely genetic but I have a question in regards to my biceps.

When my arm is straight and relaxed beside me my bi’s are fairly full and large. However when I bend my arm to say 90 degrees or so the bicep near enough ‘vanishes’ or is very small.
I have very well developed bi’s so overall mass is not required.
From the side however when bent (eg holding a coke can) the bicep doesnt ‘pop’.
My bicep inserts very low into the elbow hence why it looks full when straight (if that makes sense).

Any suggestions for exercises to bring this out? Is it the long or the short head that is the problem? My Brachialis is well developed also.

SB

You have a short biceps belly. Look up Albert Beckles.

You can’t change that. All you can do is make that muscle as big as possible so that is the last thing people notice.

Im attaching a pic, not a real good one but just shows what I mean by the bicep insertion.

SB

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You have a short biceps belly. Look up Albert Beckles.

You can’t change that. All you can do is make that muscle as big as possible so that is the last thing people notice.[/quote]

I see. I always that it may have been due to leaness or one of the bicep heads. But fair enough.

SB

Looking at Albert Beckles, he actually seems to have the opposite of what I have. He has an amazing peak, and from the side chest pose his bicep does indeed pop.

SB

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
Looking at Albert Beckles, he actually seems to have the opposite of what I have. He has an amazing peak, and from the side chest pose his bicep does indeed pop.

SB[/quote]

That’s because he was fucking huge. You stop noticing a short muscle belly when that muscle is as big as your head.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
Looking at Albert Beckles, he actually seems to have the opposite of what I have. He has an amazing peak, and from the side chest pose his bicep does indeed pop.

SB[/quote]

That’s because he was fucking huge. You stop noticing a short muscle belly when that muscle is as big as your head.[/quote]

He’s actually complaining about the opposite. His muscle belly is too long and doesn’t peak very well.

Op I know what you mean and it sucks, when people with smaller arms can flex and look like they have bigger arms then you. Only thing I can even suggest is keep your arms that way you have in the pictures rather then flexing, whenever people are around, and try to flex more in a hammer curl position then the standard.

I try to convince myself double bicep cable curls work but deep down I don’t even see a difference there. For the most part is just luck of the draw, in the end you can just keep getting them bigger since it’s more likely your hangup then anyone observing you.

Show a picture of a flexed biceps pose, that should let us know whether you’ve got short muscle bellies (like Beckles), or long ones with little peak (like Levrone).

[quote]Airtruth wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
Looking at Albert Beckles, he actually seems to have the opposite of what I have. He has an amazing peak, and from the side chest pose his bicep does indeed pop.

SB[/quote]

That’s because he was fucking huge. You stop noticing a short muscle belly when that muscle is as big as your head.[/quote]

He’s actually complaining about the opposite. His muscle belly is too long and doesn’t peak very well.

[/quote]

True. But Doc’s ultimate point being - add a ton of mass to those arms, and no one will ever notice a discrepancy.

coughKevinLevronecough

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Airtruth wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
Looking at Albert Beckles, he actually seems to have the opposite of what I have. He has an amazing peak, and from the side chest pose his bicep does indeed pop.

SB[/quote]

That’s because he was fucking huge. You stop noticing a short muscle belly when that muscle is as big as your head.[/quote]

He’s actually complaining about the opposite. His muscle belly is too long and doesn’t peak very well.

[/quote]

True. But Doc’s ultimate point being - add a ton of mass to those arms, and no one will ever notice a discrepancy.

coughKevinLevronecough
[/quote]

lol That’s a good example, but damn I have to look like a pro to be happy?

[quote]Airtruth wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Airtruth wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Singhbuilder wrote:
Looking at Albert Beckles, he actually seems to have the opposite of what I have. He has an amazing peak, and from the side chest pose his bicep does indeed pop.

SB[/quote]

That’s because he was fucking huge. You stop noticing a short muscle belly when that muscle is as big as your head.[/quote]

He’s actually complaining about the opposite. His muscle belly is too long and doesn’t peak very well.

[/quote]

True. But Doc’s ultimate point being - add a ton of mass to those arms, and no one will ever notice a discrepancy.

coughKevinLevronecough
[/quote]

lol That’s a good example, but damn I have to look like a pro to be happy?
[/quote]

Sergio Oliva didn’t have high peaked biceps. Mine don’t peak well either. That is why I worked on making them bigger.

doesn’t height factor in this? Given the length of my biceps’ muscle bellies at 6 2, I don’t expect my biceps to have a high peak. OP is Punjabi so I assume he’s tall as well lol.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
doesn’t height factor in this? Given the length of my biceps’ muscle bellies at 6 2, I don’t expect my biceps to have a high peak. OP is Punjabi so I assume he’s tall as well lol.[/quote]

Your height doesn’t dictate how your muscle bellies are shapped when flexed. There are bodybuilders like Toney Freeman and Gunter Schlierkamp who are that tall and have full muscle bellies.

It takes more overall weight gain to fill out a frame like that…which is what you should be after.

Yes, but Gunter has very high biceps insertions, which show when flexed. I’m just saying that being tall and having long biceps muscle bellies will make it much more difficult to get a peak.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
Yes, but Gunter has very high biceps insertions, which show when flexed. I’m just saying that being tall and having long biceps muscle bellies will make it much more difficult to get a peak.[/quote]

Not true. Has nothing to do with height.

You are comparing having longer legs because your tell with having disproportionately long legs because your tall.

I want to see your flexed bicep

Here is the flexed position. Sorry about the shit picture, its the best I could do.
It seems as though I have an OK peak, but this is not really the case. The picture doesnt do the lack of peak justice.

SB

It’s fine. Keep training, eating, and resting like you fucking mean it

[quote]Airtruth wrote:

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
Yes, but Gunter has very high biceps insertions, which show when flexed. I’m just saying that being tall and having long biceps muscle bellies will make it much more difficult to get a peak.[/quote]

Not true. Has nothing to do with height.

You are comparing having longer legs because your tell with having disproportionately long legs because your tall.[/quote]
in general a longer humerus = a longer biceps muscle belly. I’m not sure why this is a debate. It is easier to fill out a shorter biceps and thus get a peak.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

[quote]Airtruth wrote:

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
Yes, but Gunter has very high biceps insertions, which show when flexed. I’m just saying that being tall and having long biceps muscle bellies will make it much more difficult to get a peak.[/quote]

Not true. Has nothing to do with height.

You are comparing having longer legs because your tell with having disproportionately long legs because your tall.[/quote]
in general a longer humerus = a longer biceps muscle belly. I’m not sure why this is a debate. It is easier to fill out a shorter biceps and thus get a peak.[/quote]

Perhaps in absolute terms yes, most 6 foot guys are going to have longer biceps than most 5 foot guys. But that’s not really what people are talking about when they say “long” or “short” muscle bellies. They are talking about the length of the muscle belly and tendon in relation to the length of the limb/torso/body itself. The classic example is the biceps brachii. Look at the picture of Beckles and you’ll see that his biceps seemingly “end” several inches from his elbow joint. This is considered to be a “short” muscle belly. In contrast look at a picture of Sergio Oliva or Kevin Levrone’s biceps and you will see that they seemingly go all the way to the elbow joint. This is considered a “long” muscle belly.