Bicep Gap

I will admit to being slightly proud of that one, ha. Have at it.

That’s an achievable goal before you’re 19. Check this thread. The dude’s taller than you (5’10"), in his mid-30s (33), and went from 135 to 165 in about four months of steady eating and consistent work. Legit 5/3/1 success story. The pictures are freaking bananas.

You’re a young dude with natural hormonal advantages (and, likely, less general responsibilities/stress and better chance to just eat-school-eat-train-eat-sleep), so it’s 100% possible for you to do similar in a similar amount of time.

The polyps are obviously a valid issue (that wouldn’t have hurt to mention earlier), but like Flip said, if you can’t handle a giant breakfast, do what you can and make up for it later on. If you have medical nutrition issues, those are obviously something to work around and aren’t the norm.

[quote]So just log every meal for a week straight, should I be looking at the
amount of calories each day and see how much more I need and fit that in
the day?[/quote]
Log everything you eat, not just “meals”. Specifically the what, how much (roughly/guesstimate), and when (important to see how long between meals, how long you’re going without eating, etc.). Like I said, don’t even worry about counting the numbers if you’re even slightly hesitant about it because that can seem overwhelming to some people, and the simple habit of tracking is a start to get some info to build from.

This is exactly why it took you 4 months to put on 5 pounds. You can’t worry about “dirty bulking” because the term doesn’t apply to your situation. Your body is at such a far end of the bell curve and you have everything lined up to see major progress quickly - young, underweight, lean dudes who train hard and eat plenty almost cannot get fat if they tried, so they need to try. Get what I’m saying?

Well like I said, I was very, very inconsistent through those years. I made the biggest changes in the span of the last 4-5 years, not 10. And even when I was working hard, I wasn’t necessarily as consistent as someone like you might be.

Basically, I’m saying you have a TON of potential for improvement over the next several years. Your goal of hitting 170 lbs by the age of 21 or so is very reasonable to me.

I doubt you’ll have to worry about body fat much, if at all. If your bodyfat did ever get to an unacceptable level, you could lose it quite quickly. For myself, I would estimate that I’ve never been fatter than maybe 14% in my life. And when I’ve gotten that fat, it hasn’t lasted long.

I’ve never heard of this 5/3/1, is it a training routine?

Ditch the lean chicken and eat as much ground beef as you can.

There is an entire section of this forum dedicated to 5/3/1 and several articles on it. Well worth the read.
You want to gain? Google Building the Monolith by Jim Wendler. Follow his recommended diet exactly and we will then see if you can put on some pounds.

This is such a bro-science thing to say. So arbitrary. Why is it either/or? I eat a lot more chicken than beef. Am I missing out on some sweet gainz? They can both work in the context of a good diet plan overall.

I should have explained my reasoning behind the comment.
I have always been able to ingest a lot more calories via ground beef than lean chicken, which has assisted in gaining on a bulk.
Chicken 4oz ~21g P, 9g F, 172cals
Lean Ground Beef 4oz ~28g P, 17g F, 251cals
(using myfitnesspal)

Appreciate the explanation. That makes more sense. Anything that can be used to make eating ‘feel’ better is useful. I take in a lot of liquid calories, because I suck at eating. That’s where the bulk of my own protein comes from.

1 Like

4500 calories is hard? You need to learn to eat. Hell, 4500 “clean” is easy, just as long as you add fat.