T Nation

Bicep/Ebow Joint Help

I’m new to weight lifting and struggling to get my arms even. I’ve been reading on the site about imbalances, which has been very helpful, and was glad to find out it’s not just me. However, when I work out my right arm (the weak arm) no matter what DB exercise, angle, or postion I put my arm in all the pressure is put on my elbow joint.

It feels as if the first inch or two of my bicep (closest to elbow joint) does all the work. My right arm never feels fully worked or pumped all the way up my bicep. I know there’s the long head and short head of the bicep and no upper or lower portion. However, my bicep is the largest, both thicker and taller, closer to my elbow joint. The further up my arm the more narrow and smaller it becomes (closer to my shoulder).

Sorry for the lengthy description, but was trying to lay out the best visualization possible. I was hoping someone could give me some advice or even better some exercises that would help hit the “upper” part of my bicep.

Thanks!

Have you tried dumbbells and supinating?

[quote]rebelangler wrote:
I’m new to weight lifting and struggling to get my arms even. I’ve been reading on the site about imbalances, which has been very helpful, and was glad to find out it’s not just me. However, when I work out my right arm (the weak arm) no matter what DB exercise, angle, or postion I put my arm in all the pressure is put on my elbow joint.

It feels as if the first inch or two of my bicep (closest to elbow joint) does all the work. My right arm never feels fully worked or pumped all the way up my bicep. I know there’s the long head and short head of the bicep and no upper or lower portion. However, my bicep is the largest, both thicker and taller, closer to my elbow joint. The further up my arm the more narrow and smaller it becomes (closer to my shoulder).

Sorry for the lengthy description, but was trying to lay out the best visualization possible. I was hoping someone could give me some advice or even better some exercises that would help hit the “upper” part of my bicep.

Thanks![/quote]

I’ll be honest with you, these concerns are VERY valid, they are just not relevant for you at this time.

Every single beginner in this world has this type of thing going on, where there are imbalances, or difficulties with establishing an equal mind-to-muscle-connection. Some bigger guys might have been out of that beginner stage for decades now, so they might not remember how it felt.

In my opinion, you are just a beginner and your movement patterns are those of a beginner. You don’t have control of your body yet.

Most likely, your strongest link is taking over and trying to move the weight for you.

Having all that said, I created similar posts in the past with similar concerns, and now I don’t have those concerns anymore.

What I did was, watch a lot of form videos, used weight that was comfortable and NOT weight that looked good, then I shut my mouth and started pressing.

After a few weeks/months, you tend to realize it’s just a matter of lack-of-reps. If everything fit together perfectly the first couple of weeks you sat down, nothing would be worth doing.