Bible Belt: HIghest Divorce Rate

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:
This could be fun.

According to the article, they get married at a higher rate due to religion (since this is PWI, I will be nice) and early pregnancies (guess that abstinence thing doesn’t always work out as planned).

Then they get divorced at a higher rate due to the fact they are poor.[/quote]

The live in a certain area. That’s as far as the assumption should go.

Unless you can show that the divorces are occurring specifically among church-going, Jesus is Lord proclaiming type folk, this whole thread is just an excuse to shit all over Christians.

Very classy.[/quote]

Why aren’t all of the poor people in New York getting married at a younger age? Could it be that they have no obligation due to religion?[/quote]

There are young, married poor people in New York. There are young, single poor people in the “bible belt”.

Don’t be silly.
[/quote]

Silly? You just took what I said and decided I was really saying something else.

I didn’t say there weren’t any young married people in New York, only that there’s a far lower percentage of them and I asked a question about why that was. Also, the trend New York is moving away faster from young marriages than among poor people in the Bible belt. All of that should be obvious.

[quote]ironcross wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:
This could be fun.

According to the article, they get married at a higher rate due to religion (since this is PWI, I will be nice) and early pregnancies (guess that abstinence thing doesn’t always work out as planned).

Unless you can show that the divorces are occurring specifically among church-going, Jesus is Lord proclaiming type folk, this whole thread is just an excuse to shit all over Christians.

Very classy.[/quote]

Why aren’t all of the poor people in New York getting married at a younger age? Could it be that they have no obligation due to religion?[/quote]

There are young, married poor people in New York. There are young, single poor people in the “bible belt”.

Don’t be silly.
[/quote]

Silly? You just took what I said and decided I was really saying something else.

I didn’t say there weren’t any young married people in New York, only that there’s a far lower percentage of them and I asked a question about why that was. Also, the trend New York is moving away faster from young marriages than among poor people in the Bible belt. All of that should be obvious. [/quote]
Because more people live smattered across the “bible belt” than in NYC?

You are a silly willy aren’t you. I’m on to you.

As a general comment"

Jesus forgives them for getting divorced even if he doesn’t advocate it so it’s kind of a moot point really. Your judgements are no better than theirs.

No one, Jesus included, claimed his followers are perfect. You guys are just whiny pussies. Some people believe things you don’t, get over it.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:
This could be fun.

Very classy.[/quote]

You are assuming divorce is worse somehow than single with an abortion or 2 under your belt.

What everyone is missing is that getting married and divorce can be the more Christianly thing. Married and divorced can be closer to a Christ-like life, than unmarried, sleeping around, and either getting abortions or on welfare with kids.

So, while divorce rates could be higher, that doesn’t make it necessarily a less Christian place. You guys are actually counting never married prostitutes in New York as more Christian than a divorced woman in the south. It’s simply not true.[/quote]

I gaurantee you these kids in the south are also sleeping around, especially after divorcing at a young age. Also, you are paying for their welfare (the ones in the south now divorced, probably with a kid or two) checks along with the ones in New York, probably a higher percentage per capita than the ones in New York since these young divorced kids are more likely to have had kids.

Since when does single without kids=abortion?

I’m not concerned with whether or not these kids are living in a more Christian manner. I just hope they are being encouraged toward education and progress by their elders so that I can stop paying their welfare checks.

Houstonguy- Do you know what “percentage” means?

[quote]ironcross wrote:

Because baby’s daddy is in prison?

[quote]ironcross wrote:

I gaurantee you these kids in the south are also sleeping around, especially after divorcing at a young age. Also, you are paying for their welfare (the ones in the south now divorced, probably with a kid or two) checks along with the ones in New York, probably a higher percentage per capita than the ones in New York since these young divorced kids are more likely to have had kids.

I’m not concerned with whether or not these kids are living in a more Christian manner. I just hope they are being encouraged toward education and progress by their elders so that I can stop paying their welfare checks.

[/quote]

None of that is supported by the article in discussion. The article, and people here, are equating higher divorce rates with less christian behavior. It is decidedly untrue.

I never said that single without kids means abortion just offering an example to disprove peoples assumptions about divorce.

It is very possible that religion caused someone to be divorced rather than have abortions or contract aids or a million other possibilities. It is much more complicated than divorce = bad, more divorce, therefore, more bad. It’s poor logic.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

Because baby’s daddy is in prison? [/quote]

Baby’s daddy goes to prison in the Bible belt as well. Plus, you can get married before they go to prison, which I bet you would find several examples of in the Bible belt.

Does the Bible belt encourage these recently single women to get an education and support their kids? Or are they encouraged to remarry soon? I’m honestly asking here, it’s not a leading qestion.

[quote]ironcross wrote:
Houstonguy- Do you know what “percentage” means?[/quote]
You have not given any qualifiable data at all. Just emotional, ass hattery based assumptions and poor semantics.

Not that it matters much. The poverty I’ve seen in NY is fucking astounding if you are going to take this conversation the welfare route.

Plus you NY motherfuckers are the ones voting for welfare anyways.

[quote]ironcross wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

Because baby’s daddy is in prison? [/quote]

Baby’s daddy goes to prison in the Bible belt as well. Plus, you can get married before they go to prison, which I bet you would find several examples of in the Bible belt.

Does the Bible belt encourage these recently single women to get an education and support their kids? Or are they encouraged to remarry soon? I’m honestly asking here, it’s not a leading qestion.[/quote]
Having travelled much of the US, I can assure you people are only slightly different on the surface from NY City to Mobile, Alabama out to LA, California up to Seattle and then down to Houston.

You can’t be seriously asking this question. You have left your own little world right?

Seriously asking.

Well, as far as out of wedlock and crime rates…there’s an uncomfortable factor, a demographics factor, being ignored. Now, do we encourage single mothers to get an education? I suppose. I can’t recall ever hearing anyone say getting an AA would do any harm. But I’m not sure that ‘shotgun weddings’ are even a negative compared to not getting married as young parents.

Yes, there’s a failure rate, but there’s also a success rate. And hey, maybe mom and dad don’t have college degrees, but when did blue collar work become dishonorable? Did I own a computer when I was young. No, but I had food and a roof. And, was sent to school every morning.

edit: We can’t expect everyone to go for a Masters’, putting off marriage late in life, having a low fertility rate. Where’s the young workers required to shoulder SS and Medicare going to come from? Shipping in highly religious, high fertility, immigrants by the boatload?

In any event, Cortes pointed out my own problem with the implication being made here. Where’s the categorization by attendance? Self-selection as ‘christian’ is almost like checking an ethnic box on a survey. The vast majority of my own college classes would probably identify as Christian, but how many could name the gospels? How many have been to a church in the last 6 months?

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Well, as far as out of wedlock and crime rates…there’s an uncomfortable factor, a demographics factor, being ignored. Now, do we encourage single mothers to get an education? I suppose. I can’t recall ever hearing anyone say getting an AA would do any harm. But I’m not sure that ‘shotgun weddings’ are even a negative compared to not getting married as young parents. Yes, there’s a failure rate, but there’s also a success rate. And hey, maybe mom and dad don’t have college degrees, but when did blue collar work become dishonorable?[/quote]
And how many people in NY State have college degrees. NY and much of the East Coast is pretty fucking blue collar.

Plus you whiny sonsofbitches have way more young homosexuals, at least openly.

I can’t keep up with your decision to allow marriage or not but give it a few years and you will have lots of divorced gays.

Plus, who keeps stats on “life partners” calling it quits over the last few years?

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

I can’t keep up with your decision to allow marriage or not but give it a few years and you will have lots of divorced gays.

Plus, who keeps stats on “life partners” calling it quits over the last few years?[/quote]
Atlanta is the Gay capitol of the country

[quote]colt44 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

Plus, who keeps stats on “life partners” calling it quits over the last few years?[/quote]
Atlanta is the Gay capitol of the country[/quote]

It’s also not very southern.

[quote]Christine wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:
This could be fun.

Very classy.[/quote]

You must be tired. More typos than usual. :wink:
[/quote]

Nah, it was just hard to see straight through my righteous rage.

[/quote]

And they say conservatives have no sense of humor.

While I don’t agree with much of what you write, I do appreciate that I can understand your posts.

I honestly can’t understand half of the posters here, but your posts are always well written and coherent.[/quote]

Thanks!

Feel free to browse my work here:

You realize, however, that as a Christian Grammar Nazi, I am imepelled to flagellate myself upon the discovery of my error. I ask for no sympathy, however. I deserved it.

So, like, what’s the argument supposed to be, anyway?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]ironcross wrote:

[/quote]

None of that is supported by the article in discussion. The article, and people here, are equating higher divorce rates with less christian behavior. It is decidedly untrue.

I never said that single without kids means abortion just offering an example to disprove peoples assumptions about divorce.

It is very possible that religion caused someone to be divorced rather than have abortions or contract aids or a million other possibilities. It is much more complicated than divorce = bad, more divorce, therefore, more bad. It’s poor logic.[/quote]

I do agree with this and, as I stated, am not very concerned about whether or not a person is acting in a Christian way.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Well, as far as out of wedlock and crime rates…there’s an uncomfortable factor, a demographics factor, being ignored. Now, do we encourage single mothers to get an education? I suppose. I can’t recall ever hearing anyone say getting an AA would do any harm. But I’m not sure that ‘shotgun weddings’ are even a negative compared to not getting married as young parents. Yes, there’s a failure rate, but there’s also a success rate. And hey, maybe mom and dad don’t have college degrees, but when did blue collar work become dishonorable?[/quote]
And how many people in NY State have college degrees. NY and much of the East Coast is pretty fucking blue collar.[/quote]

Just a forewarning, you worded this quested poorly. I think you mean, what PERCENTAGE of New Yorkers have college degrees, because if you’re going by pure numbers, they will wipe out the rest of the country.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:
This could be fun.

Very classy.[/quote]

It’s not the first and it won’t be the last.