Bi-Polar

[quote]db2000 wrote:
ozzyaaron,
Bipolar seems to be very different to depression.
From what I understand taking anti-depression meds without mood stabilizers is lethal (you are Australian? that news presenter Charmaine Dragun killed herself, they thought she just had depression, but she actually had bipolar that wasn’t controlled)

I have not been able to control my mania (or hypomania) with anything, until i started lithium.
[/quote]

Hi. My name is Beast, and I’m bi-polar. My complete diagnosis consisted of BP, Chronic PTSD, and Major Depression. It took the docs 8 years to finally run me thru a battery of tests, and once that was done, it was met with skepticism. But, I was put on Trazadone, Seroquel, Lunesta, and Abilify. On top of Effexor XR. 35 pounds later, I came off the seroquel, got taken off the Abilify (due to deployment), and LOST MY FUCKING MIND!! I dumped my girlfriend, lashed out at my coworkers and friend, isolated myself from everyone, dropped 40 pounds, and was just basically either really “up” and full of adrenaline, or I was very much ready to die. Neither is a good thing as I have an M4 with a full magazine attached to it at all times. I was at my lowest, looking awfully hard at my weapon, when I decided to see the Combat Stress team out here. It only took ten minutes for the three people in there to provide a much needed slap upside my head. “Has anyone ever mentioned BP to you?” That lil question shook me hard. It was basically akin to waking up and seeing someone else living your life. With that simple question, everything became crystal clear. I’ve mended fences, although I have no plans of reuniting with the ex, and am actually doing pretty well without the abilify. I still take the Effexor XR and Trazadone, however, I’m extremely self-aware. I can usually handle my mood changes pretty good. And since I’ve made my supervisor and coworkers aware, they’ll help out if I happen to start slipping.
One thing I’ve also come to realize is that you really need to look within and get to know yourself, as well as get comfortable with yourself. If there is something you don’t like, and you wish to change it, you gotta get after it. For me, it was being overly sensitive to certain situations. Instead of looking at the big picture, I only saw how it made me feel and ran with it. That never served me well. What helps keep me grounded now is writing. I try to write every day. Either that, or I’m drawing. On days when I’m pretty manic, I’m making sure I’m moving. Either doing a bunch of manual labor type jobs around my base, or I’m in the gym. When I’m down, I tend to write a bit more, and read. I also try to stick to a routine as much as possible. These lil things help. For now, I think I’ve rambled enough. Like some to the others have stated, if you ever need to talk or anything, let me know. I won’t hesitate to assist.

Bi-polar II, more depressive than manic. Never been officially diagnosed, but with a degree in psychology and years working with mentally ill kids, I understand what i am. Never been on meds, have been through some counseling to get strategies to help deal with it. Biggest thing that helps me now are regular use of large doses of fish oil and Spike. I can tell a huge difference when I do not take the Spike.

Anyone who’s confused about something in their life could be officially misdiagnosed as “bi-polar”. Don’t spend too much money on encapsulated poison before reflecting long and hard on your life, your nature, and the things you have done and want to do. Bi-polar sits high beside other obsurdities like “ADHD” and “chronic fatigue syndrom”. They are illnesses in the sense that they are the mere crystalizations of a bigger illness… It’s still important to learn what you can of this “disease” and make sure to reflect on yourself as you learn. Nerve and emotional disorders are always caused by a weakness of spirit and/or will. Fix your problem. Don’t “treat” you’re problem.

Yeah! In your FACE, Science!

[quote]ens-perfectum wrote:
Nerve and emotional disorders are always caused by a weakness of spirit and/or will. Fix your problem. Don’t “treat” you’re problem.[/quote]

LO-fucking-L
Maybe a weakness of will is caused by emotional disorders.
Have you ever experienced being around someone with a severe disorder?
Mental health disorders are not something to brush off as a “weak spirit”.

Anyone who’s confused about something in their life could be officially misdiagnosed as “bi-polar”. Don’t spend too much money on encapsulated poison before reflecting long and hard on your life, your nature, and the things you have done and want to do. Bi-polar sits high beside other obsurdities like “ADHD” and “chronic fatigue syndrom”. They are illnesses in the sense that they are the mere crystalizations of a bigger illness… It’s still important to learn what you can of this “disease” and make sure to reflect on yourself as you learn. Nerve and emotional disorders are always caused by a weakness of spirit and/or will. Fix your problem. Don’t “treat” you’re problem.[/quote]

I see you have the “ignorant” illness…

I’m sure your educated opinion on this subject will bring nothing but everlasting mental clarity and peace to everyone on this thread who heeds your enriching advice.

Anyone who’s confused about something in their life could be officially misdiagnosed as “bi-polar”. Don’t spend too much money on encapsulated poison before reflecting long and hard on your life, your nature, and the things you have done and want to do. Bi-polar sits high beside other obsurdities like “ADHD” and “chronic fatigue syndrom”. They are illnesses in the sense that they are the mere crystalizations of a bigger illness… It’s still important to learn what you can of this “disease” and make sure to reflect on yourself as you learn. Nerve and emotional disorders are always caused by a weakness of spirit and/or will. Fix your problem. Don’t “treat” you’re problem.[/quote]
Scientologist?

I hope one of your family members causes harm to themselves due to a mental disorder

You need to observe a psych floor in a hospital or a psychiatric hospital. You will realize that what you say is such complete bullshit I can smell it through the computer. I am going to refrain from going off on your ass, because I’m sick and tired of defending myself and people like me to people like you who say mental disorders are “all in your head” and you just need to “deal with it”.

Oh, and it’s YOUR, not YOUR’RE, fucktard. Learn grammar.

I’m probably bipolar as are the rest of my family. I just don’t think it’s worth it to diagnose. I think I’m fine with it.

[quote]cct wrote:
I’m probably bipolar as are the rest of my family. I just don’t think it’s worth it to diagnose. I think I’m fine with it.[/quote]

I was fine with it until my wife said she was leaving if I didn’t do something about it.

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]cct wrote:
I’m probably bipolar as are the rest of my family. I just don’t think it’s worth it to diagnose. I think I’m fine with it.[/quote]

I was fine with it until my wife said she was leaving if I didn’t do something about it.[/quote]

This. My friend just left her bf of 9 years because he won’t do anything about it, runs in his family and he is aware of the fact. She couldn’t take walking on eggshells around the guy anymore.

[quote]Vandal wrote:

Yeah! In your FACE, Science![/quote]

hahaha lol!

Serious question though to those of you who might have more insight than I do.

what if he said “nerve and emotional disorders are SOMETIMES caused by a weakness of spirit and/or will.”

Would that be the case? I know the human body can do some very strange and miraculous things. Some people will be stressed and that stress will manifest itself in back pain when their is nothing really wrong with their back.

Do you guys think that this COULD POSSIBLY be the case in some instances? Seems plausible to me.
FTR I do not agree with ens-prefectum’s post. I’m just asking cause I thought of it (my question/scenario)

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Vandal wrote:

hahaha lol!

what if he said “nerve and emotional disorders are SOMETIMES caused by a weakness of spirit and/or will.”

Would that be the case? I know the human body can do some very strange and miraculous things. Some people will be stressed and that stress will manifest itself in back pain when their is nothing really wrong with their back.

Do you guys think that this COULD POSSIBLY be the case in some instances? Seems plausible to me.
FTR I do not agree with ens-prefectum’s post. I’m just asking cause I thought of it (my question/scenario)
[/quote]

With the “sometimes” added in there, that post would have made a lot more sense.

People who suffer from mental illness did not just get there from bad things happening to them, although obviously repeated trauma could be a factor. There are people out there who have suffered through horrible shit and have come out just fine. I believe those who do not come out just fine were perhaps born with a pre-disposition to mental illness. My mother had an ideal life, all the advantages one could ask for, but she had issues since she was a little kid. I always saw her as weak, but it’s only now that she is almost dead that I can see the mania and depression were not her choice.

[quote]dianab wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Vandal wrote:

hahaha lol!

[/quote]

With the “sometimes” added in there, that post would have made a lot more sense.

People who suffer from mental illness did not just get there from bad things happening to them, although obviously repeated trauma could be a factor. There are people out there who have suffered through horrible shit and have come out just fine. I believe those who do not come out just fine were perhaps born with a pre-disposition to mental illness. My mother had an ideal life, all the advantages one could ask for, but she had issues since she was a little kid. I always saw her as weak, but it’s only now that she is almost dead that I can see the mania and depression were not her choice.
[/quote]

completely understandable… I was just posing a question that I thought was appropriate. I agree with what you said though

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]dianab wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Vandal wrote:

hahaha lol!

[/quote]

[/quote]

completely understandable… I was just posing a question that I thought was appropriate. I agree with what you said though[/quote]

It’s appropriate for sure.
Some people are the cause of their own misery. Being obese and still cramming down the bacon double cheeseburgers, a workaholic to the point of destroying your health and family, people who smoke too much pot and do nothing with their lives, people who live in constant denial, these are things a “normal” person could take a handle on and change if they really wanted to. For those with mental illness, they could be symptoms of the disease.
Depression can sound so vague to me, when I feel like shit I up the vitamin D and DO SOMETHING to make myself feel better. It’s just recently that I’ve even been able to accept that not everyone is able to that.

I’m certainly glad you all jumped on that ignorant ass’s assertion. I’ve heard shit like that before, and I would love to have those guys present on one of my worse days.

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:
I’m certainly glad you all jumped on that ignorant ass’s assertion. I’ve heard shit like that before, and I would love to have those guys present on one of my worse days. [/quote]

We would love to have them present on one of your worse days too. :slight_smile:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Vandal wrote:

hahaha lol!

[/quote]

I have found that people who say mental disorders are “always” something speak from ignorance. People who have multiple-personality disorder tend to be the ones who have a weakness of spirit and make up a personality to deal with it. Is that always true? No. Nothing is “always” true when it comes to the brain. We know so little about it, anything we discover now is theory, at best.

[quote]Nards wrote:
Bi-polar bear.[/quote]
I see your bi-polar bear, and raise you another!