Bhopki01 Log

Today’s workout is a combination of deadlifting and front squatting:
Front Squats - work up to max - I hit 300# last time, which I had never done before. I’d gotten close, but never got 300 for a deep front squat.

Hopefully I can push it and go to 290, then jump up to hit another PR at 305.

After I’m finished front squatting, time for deadlifts. Start with straight bar and go for 6 sets of clean deadlifts (ass starting lower) then move to snatch grip with jump shrug.

Finish off with trap bar deads and 1 set of Kroc rows with the 100# dumbbell.

Then do some situps on the decline followed by some twists and romanian chair leg lifts. Call it a day.

Alright,

Haven’t done one of these days in a while but here goes…hypertrophy.

Lots of stuff to get accomplished…I’m gonna leave there feelin swelled.

Flat bench db press - 7-9 reps, 6 sets

Overhead press - sets of 7-9 reps - 6 sets

Lateral cable raises - sets of 10-20 - 4, last being a drop set

Flat bench barbell press - 4 sets of 8

Light front squatting - 4x8

If I earn some ego bicep curls with a barbell I’ll incorporate 4 sets of 10-12

Abs - pain.

I will be hitting sets of 3 til I get to 300 tomorrow in front squats

Then, a 5 set hypertrophy routine will take over.

Then, trap bar deadlifts will ensue, followed by regular grip deadlifts.

Kroc rows to finish off the back along with some muscle ups

Bicep curls to end with abs.

Alright, so I fell victim to talking to too many people tonight…but got in some good snatch work, trap bar deads, box jumps, power cleans, muscle ups just to screw around. I feel very limber.

On the agenda tomorrow:

Front squats if my back can handle it. Going for a 10 pound pr: 305

jump squats

straight bar conventional deads - sets of 6-8

bicep curls, abs, little bit of hypertrophy work for shoulders…then out.

Posting pr if I get it. No regressions.

Got that PR on Front squats - 305.

Tonight’s workout will consist of a shoulder/chest/bicep hypertrophy routine.

Open with barbell overhead press (strict) - 8 sets of 6-8

Flat db bench - 6 sets starting with 75’s

Preacher curls for biceps - 4 sets of 10-12

Cable lateral raises for lateral delts - 4 sets. Last one triple drop set

Db shoulder press - 4 sets low weight high reps - 8-10

Barbell curls - sets of 10-12, 3 sets total

1 set of dips: stop just before last rep failure

Warm up - consists of box jumps, power cleans, and 1 arm db snatches

finish off with rear delt/back cable squeezes - 3 sets of 10-12

Day before thanksgiving…what fun.

Just a general list of what I plan on doing:

Deadlifts - I’m actually going to record these, I want to get my form down. regardless of the fact of how primal a movement it is, I still don’t have this movement down comfortably where I can progress and feel good about my lower back’s safety. I wanna get the form down and not have to worry about it. I now know how I will power clean, bench, front/back squat and overhead press for the rest of my life. I don’t have the power snatch or deadlift down comfortably so I will be working on this until I get the biomechanics correct.

Kroc rows - strapped

Bicep burls - barbell

Seated overhead press - hypertrophy routine

Barbell bent over rows

Rear delt raises

Door walk ups as a way to test the stabilizer muscles in my body

Maybe some pullups - then gotta get a ton of work done.

sets and reps will vary.

Also, got a pr on front squats again - 310. Going for 3 plates after thanksgiving break from school

make the bar your bitch.

Ah. So tonight I just did a chest and shoulder workout.

Started off with plyo pushups to wake up the CNS

Then did a few bb bench sets:

bar x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
235 x 1
245 x 1
255 x 1 - flew up
dropped it to 225 x 6,5,5 then a cluster of 10.

I could have hit 6 reps on each of the three straight sets, but didn’t want to push the CNS too much.

Then hit 185 x 10 no problem. didn’t even have to stop really.

Then moved to shoulder press - seated but no back support - 115 x 7,6,6,7. Done. Sipped on some casein hydrolysate and was pumped pretty intensely. Obviously this doesn’t appear too straining but it was good activation with a mild hypertrophy aspect. Hoping to maintain what I have been doing. Gonna kill it next week back at school - going for 3 plates on the front squat, 270 bench and 455 deadlift. Bring on the PRs.

PR today - my two buddies helped me get 315 on the front squat. only from a motivational standpoint. then did some deadlifts, power cleans and some pullups. Can’t believe I did so well today, I took the weekend and monday off to do some work and it ended up being a great decision.

Now, the goal is to hit 365. Go back to incorporating back squats when I hit 330 on front squat. Back squat has to hit 400 by graduation. Deadlift pulls have to hit 500 for a single and bench has to hit 315 for a single.

Due to the immense amount of work this weekend and lack of food and overuse of my brain, the battle against the weights wasn’t very easy. Couldn’t get 275x3 on the front squat and 305 felt really really ugly. Dropped the weight after that and hit 225 for a no-lock out 5. Then hit 250x5. I got all my shit done for school so I can’t complain on that front but I wish I would’ve eaten more. I lose weight and strength so fast when my carbs drop below 300 for the day. Too much thinking…I think neural fatigue killed me.

Today I’m resting my legs and lower back and doing some overhead pressing, weighted pullups, kroc rows, dips, abs and barbell bicep curls.

eat. sleep. train. chase girls.

Hey man, I tried to send a couple PMs back now, but it seems like my reply is broken. I went ahead and started a non-Indigo log so we can actually get some back and forth about workouts over break without PMs. Here’s a link:

Hope everything went well with finals. Enjoy the holidays, relaxation, and extra workout time!

So, workouts have been interesting lately…

currently following Wendler’s 5-3-1 program for deadlifting and taking some time off from squatting. My knee is having some issues currently and I don’t want to exacerbate the problem. Hoping to hit a new deadlifting PR by the new year…mind you everything is unbelted and unstrapped so basically as raw as you can get.

I bent my olympic bar today. I ended up power cleaning 240 for a PR and when I went to let it fall and catch it on my legs, the middle of the bar bent due to the force of the fall…I’m surprised my legs didn’t bruise.

Anyway, trying to get some good size over break, I want to return at a lean 190.

For Christmas, got some MAG-10 and superfood. I love them both. Superfood is an excellent product, I hope I never have to be without it.

MAG-10 seems to be a good product as well, we’ll have to see how it does at increasing the anabolic potential of my workouts.

Not sure when I’m going to incorporate front squats back in, but I think it’s safe to say I’m not putting back squats in til I hit 365 for a single on front squats.

I wish I could put snatches back in, but my ceilings are low so I’m kinda screwed on that front. oh well. There are other ways to be explosive while working out.

Other than Wendler’s 5-3-1 and constant attempts for power clean maxes daily, not much new here. I can still do ab roll outs on my feet using an ab wheel, but my abs really hurt today from doing just a few yesterday.

I’m doing some HFS stuff to make my back adapt…kroc rows daily, yates rows daily, and deadlifts and cleans daily. nothing too heavy, just everything for activation and speed. I want to teach that cranium to move fast. Also, finally got the hip drive in for trap bar deadlifts to get a good lockout sqeeze. Getting tight for these really taxes the CNS but it’s worth it. I pick things up and put them down. That is all.

Haven’t updated in a while. This is what has been happening on the home front. Been following Wendler’s 5,3,1 program for deadlifts and front squats, daily. yea, daily. I’ve been doing pretty well, body has adjusted to the constant destruction, but keeping volume low helps me recover faster. I’ve been making gains, which is excellent. Today I hit a pr on front squats actually, 290x2, I’ve never thought it was conceivable that I’d get to doing anything more than a single close to 300 for a while, especially with a grip change. I use straps now where the knurling starts on my bar instead of a clean grip, I destroyed my fingers a month back setting a pr of a max of 315 on the front squat so I can’t afford to lose my grip strength. Deadlifts are over 400 for a few working sets so I’m pleased. Hopefully I’ll be pulling 500 soon. If I’m being honest with myself though, my form sucks for the deadlift. Back is rounding when using a mixed grip and I’m really trying to work on this. When using the hook grip, double overhand, my back stays pretty damn flat but once the grip switches, it’s like the biomechanics of the lift change. Gotta figure this out. Also, I love chalk. Never used it til this past week and I realize how amazing it is, especially on power cleans from the floor. Pulled a pr of 245 yesterday but cut up my shins so bad that I only got to 225 today. Didn’t want to push it, but it felt good. Can’t wait for some ceiling space to start snatching again.

Yo man, good to see an update in here! Hope you’re having a good break, sounds like the training is going well. 245 PC is sick, congrats on the PR. I’ve gotta step my game up or you’re going to pass me haha.

Keep up the good work and enjoy the last week of break, I’ll be seeing you back at Nova soon enough

Just checked out your FS vids- looking pretty solid for the most part as far as I can tell. The one thing I do notice is that your center of gravity seems to be a bit too far forward. If you pay attention to your heels in the videos from the side, you’ll notice the heels lift up a slight bit toward the bottom (more pronounced on the 295 rep). I also saw that you lost some of the arch in your back on the vid that was taken from the back as you hit the middle of the rep.

Overall, it looks like you are pitching forward a slight bit, but not to any major or dangerous extent. Part of that might be that you’re pushing the limits of your biomechanics on depth, though that’s just a guess. In general I’m thinking that being conscious of maintaining the arch in your lower back and thinking of driving through the heels will help. I’m not the best with form though lol so take this with a grain of salt.

Yea it’s gonna be weird because i feel like I can’t really sit back too much more before I fall backwards, but I guess i’ll work on it. I think I need to do some more deadlifts and work on the strength in the upper back because I haven’t hit a pr on front squats in a while. The upper back does round, I could stop that if I didn’t go as low, but I still want that strength out of the bottom to be there so I can’t get myself to go stop at a higher point. We’ll see.

Started using chalk (magnesium carbonate block) and love it. Helps so much. Hit a double overhand hook grip deadlift of 415 today, could have gone for more but decided against it. Gotta keep that back arched.

Front squats went up to 295 today, could have hit 305 but wanted the lift to be semi-fast. I’m thinking about incorporating back squats back in, hoping to get some serious weight on the bar. I’m going to stop front squatting for a month or so and let me joints heal.

Finally can get back to doing snatches now that I’m back at school and we have reasonably high ceilings. Also, superfood came today, can’t wait to start using it again. I think in order to save money I’m gonna do one scoop instead of two and vow to eat more vegetables throughout the day when I can get them at school.

lastly, gonna keep working on the hook grip deadlift, it sucks but I’m getting used to the pain on the thumbs. I think my biomechanics work best with double overhand rather than mixed grip on the deadlifts.

Wow, what a great evening workout. Finally back at the school gym and man do I love it there. Lots of ceiling room to do snatches and bars that don’t bend. First hit some box jumps to activate the CNS. Then moved to cleans, power cleans to be specific. Made sure my form was good, kept an arched back, really squeezed tightly on the lower back and tried to incorporate the legs in the first pull. Second pull was smooth, got way under the bar and I was happy with my results. Did a bunch of cleans at 225 to solidify my confidence on them and went up only to 235. Hit it pretty easily but didn’t want to push it, had a lot more to do.

Moved to snatches. Started with the bar for form work for several pulls. Then moved to 65 lbs for additional form pulls. Then moved to 95, followed by 115 and 135. Ended at 135 for several pulls but couldn’t hit 150 today, my thumbs were giving out on the hook grip and didn’t want to go to straps tonight. I have vowed that at all costs I’d avoid straps. Gotta create my own death grip. Tomorrow morning hopefully I can hit 135 easily and move to 150 no problem.

Lastly, FINALLY incorporated back squats in to the mix, and boy did it feel good. I love back squats. I forgot how much I missed them. 275 felt light today and then moved back to front squats. Front squats went up to 280 today. Was really easy. I think the gym floor has a wonderful effect on the feet because my knee pain is completely gone. It was so great to feel free of joint pain like I had the past few weeks at home. Can’t wait to start progressing again. Going to hopefully work to a max every day for as many days in a row as possible and get my power clean up to 275. I could have been good for 250 today so 25 pounds doesn’t seem unreasonable with some form work and a lot of dedication. I also want to be fast pulling 400 soon on deadlifts, so that 500 won’t seem so far away. Gonna up the calories and take in as much clean foods as possible:

-oatmeal
-brown rice
-ezekiel bread
-dextrose (PW)
-almond butter
-Brazil nuts
-Natural peanut butter
-Pro7 protein: blend of Whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, WPC, Hydrolyzed casein, Potassium caseinate, micellar casein, and egg albumin with some N-acetyl-glutamine.
-Chicken
-Beef
-non fat lactose free cheese
-cottage cheese
-Turkey
-Fish
-Eggs
-kale
-spinach
-superfood
-DMAE
-Vitamin D, chromium, vitamin A, zinc, magnesium, b complex, vitamin C.

Cheating makes me feel like shit. Gotta stay clean.

Time for some Broz Gym style workouts. I plan on competing after college and I am currently studying the form and style of olympic lifters. A few come to mind that are great role models: Pyrros Dimas, Hossein Reza Zadeh, Kendrick Farris, and oh yea, pat mendes and Rob Adell.

That is all.

Tonight was similar to the previous, box jumps, then snatches, followed by back squats and front squats. Then some foam rolling.

Snatches: Bar, 95, 115, 135, 145, 150, 155, 160 miss.

The nervous system is such a funny thing. I hit 155 just fine and 160 just wouldn’t fly up. Couldn’t get under it fast enough. Had it overhead but it fell forward too fast. But drastic improvement from last night especially since I couldn’t get over 145. 10 lb improvement is excellent considering my traps feel like they’re about to fall off. The power shrug on the snatch really did some damage to the traps and I’m putting them through hell right now hoping they’ll adapt soon enough. Back squat was good, went up to 275 again, waiting for my back (traps area) to stop hurting so much before I get past 300 again, especially since I’m normally outside a rack doing NO NO NO squats. Love it though, front squats felt good, went up to 290 today and really got some anger out. Kids in high school that used to give me crap were on the mind and I put the anger to work. Not really looking to attempt a max soon on that, just working on speed and trying to get everything solidified for form. I have a feeling that working on the power snatch and power clean will have some explosive carryover on the legs and upper back so that the front and back squat will benefit from it. Full lifts won’t begin until I get some weightlifting shoes.

Today was more of a maintenance routine…school gym closed early today so I felt like doing a crap ton of snatches, followed by some power cleans up to 235, as well as back and front squats. Back squats went up to 225 and front squats went up to 290. Pretty easy. Tomorrow hopefully back squats will go up to 3 plates and front squats will go for a new max. Results to come.

Today is an off day, but volume was insane yesterday. Did a lot of snatches, a ton of power cleans then moved up to back squat and hit 300 again. I’ll keep pushing it as the workouts go on. Front squats went up to 295. Pushing new maxes every time while following Wendler’s 5,3,1 will hopefully help me put on some muscle…the scale said I weighed only 175. whoops. Deadlifts will be hook grip style with a starting max of 415.

[quote]bhopki01 wrote:
the scale said I weighed only 175.[/quote]

Go eat. lol.