BG's Training Log

After reading through a few training logs posted by other guys here I thought a good way to keep me motivated with my training would be to do the same thing. I am open to any advice you might have, so here goes:

First of all the program. At the moment I am trying to train for mostly strength gains and getting to be more conditioned, as I have tended to push regular energy systems work aside for the past few months. I am 5’11" and currently 94kg (207lb). At a fitness test at my gym last week my BF% was 21% measured on one of those Tanita scales, so I’m not sure if I really trust the result, especially as I think I look a bit better than that in the mirror (Note to self, order calipers this week!)

I am working on using a lot more of the Olympic lifts as I enjoy doing them and really want to improve my lifting technique. Each workout I will choose an Oly lift as the main exercise and use the wave loading protocol (after reading Ian King’s article) for that lift. I will then choose other exercises to ensure that I get a full body workout each time. I’ll then throw in a supplementary, mostly for prehabilitation, exercise and finish off with abs, one heavy weighted and the other bodyweight. One will target obliques and the other the “normal” abs.

To get a good variety of exercises I have decided to go for a 2 week cycle and go through it 3 times in a 6 week training block. Within the training block I will “wave load” the intensity of each cycle. This works as shown below:

Cycle 1 (Weeks 1&2)
Oly lift - 10/8/6/10/8/6 wave load with 60 sec rest btw sets.
2 compound lifts - 3x8 w/ 60s rest
Supp lift - 3x8
Heavy ab - 3x8-10
Lighter ab - 3x15-30 (high rep)

Cycle 2 (Weeks 3&4)
Oly lift - 3/4/5/3/4/5 wave load with 90-120 sec rest btw sets.
2 compound lifts - 3x5 w/ 90-120s rest
Supp lift - 3x5
Heavy ab - 3x6-8
Light ab - 3x10-20 (medium rep maybe with light weight)

Cycle 3 (Weeks 5&6)
Oly lift - 1/2/3/11/2/3 wave load with 120-180 sec rest btw sets.
2 compound lifts - 5x3 w/ 120s rest
Supp lift - 5x3
Heavy ab - 3x4-6
Light ab - 3x5-100 (low rep with heavier weight)

I’ll then take a week off and depending on progress change exercises and go again or try something different. The first cycle is more hypertrophy focused and the lighter weights will allow me to groove my technique on the oly lifts by doing lots of reps. Cycles 2 & 3 progress more towards the max strength range. If I continue for a second block cycle 1 will act as an “unloading” or back off week before progressing to heavy weights again.

The exercises will be as follows:

WEEK A

Day1
Power Snatch
Overhead Squat
Standing Military Press
Standing Calf Raises
Kneeling Cable Crunches
Iron Cross

Day 2
Push Jerk
Front Squat
Deadlift
Back Extensions
Saxon Side Bends
Swissball Planks

Day 3
Power Clean
Overhead Squat
Bench Press
Cuban Press
Serratus Crunch
Med Ball Russian Twist

Week B
Day 1
Clean & Press
Back Squat
Bent Over Row
Glute Ham Raise
Side Extensions
Decline Reverse Crunch

Day 2
Snatch
Overhead Squat
Incline DB Bench Press
Low Pulley Side Rotations
Low Pulley Swissball Crunches
Swissball Russian Twist

Day 3
Clean & Jerk
Snatch-grip RDL
Chin Ups
Rope Pulls to face
Oblique Kneeling Cable Crunches
Barbell Rollouts

So that’s it. Any comments? I’ll post my first week’s results soon.

Well, so much for updating this training diary regularly, this is my first post since the original and I have just finished the program! How did it go? I was very happy with my progress with the Oly lifts, which was the main concern. I am feeling a lot more comfotable with them as a result.

Due to other things in my life such as work being very busy I did end have some problems such as being forced to squeeze workouts into a very short time and only getting the 3-4 main lifts done and skipping the supplementary lifts and abs too often. Hopefully I can get this sorted out for the next program. My lifts for the main exercises are shown below:

All lifts in kg

WEEK 1

Day1
Power Snatch (10/8/6/10/8/6 wave)
40(too high),30,32.5,30,32.5,35
Overhead Squat (3x8)
Standing Military Press (3x8)
45,45,45(7 reps only)

Day 2
Push Jerk (10/8/6/10/8/6 wave)
Front Squat (3x8)
Deadlift (3x8)

Day 3
Power Clean (10/8/6/10/8/6 wave)
Overhead Squat (3x8)
Bench Press (3x8)

Week 2
Day 1
Full Clean & Press (10/8/6 wave - I found that two waves at this many reps is bad for technique with the Oly lifts so I’ve cut back to one wave)
Back Squat (3x8)
Bent Over Row (3x8)

Day 2
Snatch (10/8/6 wave)
Overhead Squat (3x8)
Incline DB Bench Press (3x8)

Day 3
Full Clean & Jerk (10/8/6 wave)
Snatch-grip RDL (3x8)
Chin Ups (3x8)
BW+6 for all sets. Only got 7 reps on 2nd and 3rd sets

WEEK 3

Day1
Power Snatch (3/4/5/3/4/5 wave)
Overhead Squat (3x5)
Standing Military Press (3x5)

Day 2
Push Jerk (3/4/5/3/4/5 wave)
Front Squat (3x5)
Deadlift (3x8)

Day 3
Power Clean (3/4/5/3/4/5 wave)
Overhead Squat (3x5)
Bench Press (3x5)

WEEK 4
Day 1
Full Clean & Press (3/4/5/3/4/5 wave)50,47.5,45,55,50,47.5
Back Squat (3x5)
Bent Over Row (3x5)

Day 2
Snatch (3/4/5/3/4/5 wave)
45,40,40,40,40,40 (Got to work on this one a lot!)
Overhead Squat (3x5)
Incline DB Bench Press (3x5)
40,40,40(3 reps)

Day 3
Full Clean & Jerk (3/4/5/3/4/5 wave)
Snatch-grip RDL (3x5)
65,65(4 reps),60
Chin Ups (3x5)
BW+8 for all sets.

WEEK 5

Day1
Power Snatch (1/2/3/1/2/3 wave)
Overhead Squat (5x3)
Standing Military Press (5x3)

Day 2
Push Jerk (1/2/3/1/2/3 wave)
Front Squat (5x3)
Deadlift (5x3)

Day 3
Power Clean (1/2/3/1/2/3 wave)
Overhead Squat (5x3)
Bench Press (5x3)

WEEK 6

Day 1
Full Clean & Press (1/2/3/1/2/3 wave)60,57.5,55,65,62.5,60
Back Squat (5x3)
Bent Over Row (5x3)

Day 2
Snatch (1/2/3/1/2/3 wave)
45,42.5,40,45,42.5,40 (Thanks to some advice from Dan John I was finally able to get my technique in this “respectable”)
Overhead Squat (5x3)
Incline DB Bench Press (5x3)

Day 3
Full Clean & Jerk (1/2/3/1/2/3 wave)
Snatch-grip RDL (5x3)
Chin Ups (5x3)
BW+12.5 for all sets.

Now for a week off with active rest. I’m in the middle of designing my next program and will post it when finished.

OK,

Here is the next program I am doing. I’ve decided to change the previous method to longer blocks of training the same way to allow the body a bit more adaptation. I’m still focused on increasing max strength in the end but have decided to go with a longer functional strength/hypertrophy stage first.

I’ve basically decided to do the Waterbury Method for this block with one change. I have deleted the second superset of 4x6 and only have one 4x6 exercise in its place. This will give me more time to do some supplementary lifts such as pull-throughs, rotator cuff work, light overhead squats etc. As I train in the mornings before work my time is limited and I have found that I keep missing the chance to do some of these important exercises plus abdominal stuff as well.

To compensate the removal of a “heavy” exercise I have made all exercises compound lifts and scrapped all isolation work so that the loading will be much higher.

I will keep up with doing some Oly lifts and will alternate on Day 2 each week between power snatches and cleans. The supplementary lifts will be cycled as well. Abs will alternate between obliques and “normal” abs.

Here’s the program:

Day 1:

A. Bench Press 10x3
B1. Front Squat 4x6
B2. GHR 4x6
C. Push Press 4x6
D. Supp Lift 3x15 (Wk1 OHS, Wk2 DB Cuban Press, Wk 3 Poor Man Shld. Horn)
E. Abs 3x15 (Wk 1 Kneeling Cable Crunches, Wk2 Swissball Russian Twist, Wk 3 Swissball Cable Crunches)

Day 2:

A. Deadlift 10x3
B1. Decline Bench Press 4x6
B2. Bent Over Row (Sup. grip) 4x6
C. Power Snatch 4x6 (Power Clean in Wk2)
D. Supp Lift 3x15 (Wk1 Pulley Ext Rotations, Wk2 Bulgarian Squats, Wk 3 OHS)
E. Abs 3x15 (Wk 1 DB Side Bends, Wk2 Serratus DB Crunches, Wk 3 Woodchops)

Day 3:

A. Chin Ups10x3
B1. Dips 4x6
B2. Seated Cable Row 4x6
C. Good Mornings
D. Supp Lift 3x15 (Wk1 Rope pulls to face, Wk2 OHS, Wk 3 Pull Throughs)
E. Abs 3x15 (Wk 1 Decline Reverse Crunches, Wk2 Side Extensions, Wk 3 Bar Rollouts)

I’m still thinking as to whether I should go for another 3 weeks with different exercises (e.g. replace deads with back squats) after a back-off week in Week 4, before moving to the max strength block. Or I may do the 3 weeks straight away and then back off after Week 6. I guess I will see how I feel.

Please feel free to add any comments you may have.

Ben

Hypertrophy Block Week 1 Day 1:

Time start: 6am

A. Bench Press 10x3
2 sets x 100kg, 8 x 90
B1. Front Squat 4x6
B2. GHR 4x6
C. Push Press 4x6
60,55,55,55(5 reps)
D. Supp Lift OHS 3x15
E. Abs Kneeling Cable Crunches 3x15

Comments: My bench press has gone backwards due to the week off, luckily I am doing a lot of bench in this program, it needs work. In other exercises I just need to find the right load, after doing a month or so of low rep sets I need to get used to the higher rep stuff again. I felt last nights sprint intervals when doing the front squats.

Hi Ben,

Just curious: why change up the supplemental lifts and abs every week?
Why not pick one for each training day and stick with it for the duration of the program like you have for the compund lifts? Then you can change them up for the next cycle.

Today I am hurting everywhere, maybe I got too used to doing lower reps. Next time I do a backoff week it will still involve lifting weights to some degree to alleviate soreness when I get back into things at normal intensity.

At least I know for sure that I worked the muscles!

Scrooge,

I think that varying the supplementary lifts won’t matter as much as switching around the compound lifts. You should have seen the program before some advice from the experts put me straight, I was changing everything, LOL!

I want to keep things like OHS in the program each week (the funny thing is I really liked doing 3x15 with just the bar yesterday and “greasing the groove” as DJ would say. I must be going mad, liking OHS…)

With the other muscle groups worked by the supplementary lifts such as rotator cuffs you have to work them with different angles of attack. My main problem is the amount of time I have to train, so I need to rotate through exercises to ensure that there is not a large amount of time between working these muscle groups.

With the abs it is pure variety that I wanted to do, but I don’t think that this is uncommon and most ab exercises are exactly the same anyway.

Ben

[quote]scrooge wrote:
Hi Ben,

Just curious: why change up the supplemental lifts and abs every week?
Why not pick one for each training day and stick with it for the duration of the program like you have for the compund lifts? Then you can change them up for the next cycle.
[/quote]

Fair enough. Good point about the ab stuff being pretty much the same.

How’s the home gym setup coming along?

[quote]scrooge wrote:
Fair enough. Good point about the ab stuff being pretty much the same.

How’s the home gym setup coming along?[/quote]

It has stalled a little bit, I haven’t had time to really look at things in the last week or two. I definitely need to design a custom power rack which can be dismantled. I took the measurements of a squat rack stand I saw in a shop and checked to see if it would fit in the garage with the car parked, but it would just create too much clutter and block off the main walkway in the garage.

I’ve got a few ideas and it shouldn’t be too hard to do, I just need to get pricing for steel tube, welding services and find out where to get pulleys and steel cable to put a lat machine together. Alternatively I might be able to buy one of those lat attachments that clips on to a bench. I need a low pulley setup as well for seated rows, external rotations etc.

In regards to weights I am still agonising over whether to go with some bumper plates, but they are hugely expensive. The really annoying thing is that the gym I go to at the moment has the top notch, although rather old, Eleiko bars and plates, although I’m not sure if they are bumpers, they are definitely the rubber coated plates. This stuff is way outside my budget.

I think I can pick up regular barbells, dumbell handles and plates through ebay or trading post for not much money at all. That way I can save most of the money for the Oly plates and bar. With the dumbells I need to find a set of handles that can take more than the standard 22.5 kg. I obviously can’t afford the money or space to get welded dumbell sets. I’d love to buy a Powerblock set but they are just astronomical in cost!

Any ideas that can help me out?

Yeah, I feel your pain about the cost.

I was debating whether to go with oly bar and plates or not, but a starting set was going to be around $300, a bit more than I had, so I ended up buying a 7’ standard bar and a few more plates. Yes, it bends slightly when I am squatting and DL’ing, but it gets the job done. Also, I slacken off the collars a little when doing oly stuff and it has been fine. The plates spin on the bar itself.

This setup will do me for a while yet, I am not pushing real big numbers. Down the track I will get an oly bar and some bumper plates, but like you have mentioned previously, the weights I am using can easily be lowered without needing to be dropped.

The trouble is my cleans have gone up rapidly, as you can see from the previous program results. I would expect to hit the 100kg mark in a few months, and that is starting to get heavy in terms of controlling the descent of the weight (I don’t want to have permanently bruised thighs!)

I think if I can get rubber coated plates, not necessarily bumpers, and have a well padded landing area it should be OK.

Did that store in Cardiff you bought your gear from sell rubber-coated or bumper plates at all?

[quote]scrooge wrote:
Yeah, I feel your pain about the cost.

I was debating whether to go with oly bar and plates or not, but a starting set was going to be around $300, a bit more than I had, so I ended up buying a 7’ standard bar and a few more plates. Yes, it bends slightly when I am squatting and DL’ing, but it gets the job done. Also, I slacken off the collars a little when doing oly stuff and it has been fine. The plates spin on the bar itself.

This setup will do me for a while yet, I am not pushing real big numbers. Down the track I will get an oly bar and some bumper plates, but like you have mentioned previously, the weights I am using can easily be lowered without needing to be dropped.[/quote]

[quote]bg100 wrote:

Did that store in Cardiff you bought your gear from sell rubber-coated or bumper plates at all?
[/quote]

Yep. I don’t think they had them on display, but they were the cheapest quoted price, by a significant amount.

Good point about the weight you are using, I didn’t check closely on the cleans.

For matting on my floor, I am using conveyor belt offcuts, 3 ply belt, 2 layers. It is still quite solid to stand on, but hasn’t resulted in any damage to the floor (yet…).

Hey BG,

How have you found the Front Squats when doing the WM?

Have just finished ABBH1 and the one thing I struggled with was front squats.felt like my left wrist was going to snap. Tried the crossed arms but just couldn’t find a way to keep the bar up, bummer as I can see how they will work and benefit. Have tried at low weight ie 30-40kg thats okay but barely seems like much use when I can do back squats with 140kg.

Have studied a heap of videos re technique this may be one that just isn’t for me.

Am looking at starting overhead squats to develop some more balance and strength in my arms, hopefully I’ll slowly weane my way onto front squats.

BTW I bumped your “buying weights” thread earlier as there is a used power rack on ebay that I thought you or one of the other east coast boys may be interested in.

Burnsey

Burnesy,

Front Squats aren’t my favourite exercise but they help with the Oly lifts. My quads are still sore today, two days after the workout, although it was my first workout back after a week off the weights completely. I think you just have to keep practicing technique with gradually heavier weights until your wrists get flexible enough. Dan John has a tip he mentions a lot where he puts his fist in hot water and rotates the wrist around and around. Try doing forearm and wrist stretches as well, gradually they improve. My pet hate of front squats is the bar pushing back into your throat and cutting off the air supply. On the longer sets of 6 reps and above it is hard to muster enough drive out of the bottom position when all your oxygen has gone, LOL!

Maybe try Tabata fron squats to work on technique and “grease the groove”, whilst giving yourself a fantastic conditioning workout at the same time!

Remember to start light on the OHS and practice technique, that is why I am doing 3x15 with pretty much the bar only. You can see from my previous program’s post above that even with 5x3 I was only doing a bit over 50kg when my back squat for 3 is about 110-120kg. And it was a hard weight as well. Apparently you need to be patient and you will see the flexibility benefits appear after 6 months or so.

Cheers,

Ben

[quote]Burnesy wrote:
Hey BG,

How have you found the Front Squats when doing the WM?

Have just finished ABBH1 and the one thing I struggled with was front squats.felt like my left wrist was going to snap. Tried the crossed arms but just couldn’t find a way to keep the bar up, bummer as I can see how they will work and benefit. Have tried at low weight ie 30-40kg thats okay but barely seems like much use when I can do back squats with 140kg.

Have studied a heap of videos re technique this may be one that just isn’t for me.

Am looking at starting overhead squats to develop some more balance and strength in my arms, hopefully I’ll slowly weane my way onto front squats.

BTW I bumped your “buying weights” thread earlier as there is a used power rack on ebay that I thought you or one of the other east coast boys may be interested in.

Burnsey[/quote]

For the life of me I can’t recall who, but, perhaps during an article discussion, someone said that they use big ol’ horse stall mats (I think that’s what it was)to cushion their floor and that they were cheap, thick, and worked well.

Sorry I can’t be any clearer.

-Dan

[quote]Dan M wrote:
For the life of me I can’t recall who, but, perhaps during an article discussion, someone said that they use big ol’ horse stall mats (I think that’s what it was)to cushion their floor and that they were cheap, thick, and worked well.

Sorry I can’t be any clearer.

-Dan[/quote]

Yep, it was Dan John in one of his Prime Time sessions, and I was actually the one who asked him the question about what he used at home, LOL! I’ve looked into them and they are definitely an option.

Last night’s workout, slept in too much in the morning, had to cram it in after work as my gym closes at 7pm on a Friday. Missed the ab exercises at the end as a result.

Hypertrophy Block Week 1 Day 2:

Time start: 6pm

A. Deadlift 10x3
7 sets @ 120kg, 3 sets @ 110
B1. Decline Bench Press 4x6
B2. Bent Over Rows (S. Grip) 4x6
C. Power Snatches 4x6
D. Low Pulley Ext Rotations 3x15

Comments: Still sorting out the correct loading after the week off and of course doing some exercises later in the workout compared to the last program will reduce the weight I can lift.

This was very intense on the lower back and I can feel nearly every back muscle hurting a bit today.

The power snatches were probably the best I have done so far since starting them about 2 months ago.

About 2 days ago I finally got myself a set of bodyfat calipers (Fat Track II). The average of 3 readings this morning was 16.7%, although I am still learning the technique of course. The Tanita scales at my gym read about 20% before my previous program, but I have always thought that was a bit high.

My weight today was 95.2kg. Last Saturday it was 94kg, we’ll see next week if I have kept any weight on or if it was just fluid retention or something like that causing a higher reading than normal.

I also took measurements for different limbs and waist etc, but I’ll see if there is any improvement before posting these!

Thanks for the info. I suspected that there was no quick fix and that hard work and practice would be the only solution. And thats probably the way it should be.

Burnesy

I haven’t posted my progress for a while. I have just finished the 3rd week and am about to do a back-off week before switching up the exercises a bit and going on another cycle. Here are all of the workouts since my last post:

Week 1, Day 3:

A. Chin Ups 10x3 @ BW+8kg
B1. Dips 4x6 @ BW+8kg
B2. Seated Cable Row 4x6 @ 80kg
C. Good Mornings 4x6 @ 60kg
D. Rope Pulls To Face 3x15 @ 25kg
E. DB Side Bends 3x15 @ 10kg
F. Decline Reverse Crunches 3x15 @ BW on easiest decline.

Week 2 Day 1:

A. Bench Press 10x3 @ 100kg
B1. Front Squat 4x6 @ 80kg
B2. GHR 4x6 4x6 @ 12.5kg
C. Push Press 1x6 & 1x5 @ 57.5kg, 1x6 & 1x5 @ 55kg (failing badly on this one, must be the bench press earlier on)
D. DB Cuban Press 3x15 @ 6kg

Week 2 Day 2:

A. Deadlift 10x3 @ 120kg (really struggled in last few sets, will stay at this load next week)
B1. Decline Bench Press 4x6 @ 92.5kg
B2. Bent Over Row (Sup. grip) 4x6 @ 72.5kg
C. Power Snatch 3x6 @ 42.5kg (Ran out of time to finish 4 sets.

Week 2 Day 3:

A. Chin Ups 10x3 @ BW+10kg
B1. Dips 4x6 @ BW+14kg
B2. Seated Cable Row 4x6 @ 82.5kg
C. Good Mornings 4x6 @ 65kg
D. OHS 3x15 @ 25kg
E. Side Extensions 3x15 @ BW

Week 3 Day 1:
A. Bench Press 10x3 @ 102.5kg
B1. Front Squat 4x6 @ 82.5kg
B2. GHR 4x6 4x6 @ 14kg
C. Push Press 3x6 @ 55kg, 1x5 @ 55kg D. DB Poor Man’s Shoulder Horn 3x15 @ 6kg

Week 2 Day 2:

A. Deadlift 10x3 @ 120kg (finally nailed the form at this load)
B1. Decline Bench Press 4x6 @ 100kg
B2. Bent Over Row (Sup. grip) 4x6 @ 75kg
C. Power Snatch 3x6 @ 40kg
D. OHS 3x15 @ 25kg

Week 2 Day 3:

A. Chin Ups 10x3 @ BW+10kg
B1. Dips 4x6 @ BW+16kg
B2. Seated Cable Row 4x6 @ 85kg
C. Good Mornings 4x6 @ 70kg
D. Pull-Throughs 3x15 @ 30kg
E. Woodchops 1x15 @ 20kg, 2x15 @ 30kg

Comments:

I’m pretty happy with the improvement on some of the lifts. A lot of the exercises e.g. good mornings, I hadn’t done in a while so I was just getting used to them again and practicing on form.

Things I need to change include getting to bed early enough to ensure I am starting right on 5:30am and making sure all exercises are done in time before I have to head off to work. I missed a lot of supplementary and ab work as a result. I’m probably taking too much time setting up some exercises and need to work on this. I think for the next cycle I will follow the full Waterbury Method and make some of the supplementary lifts a 4x6 exercise then add abs to the end of the workout.

I will also consider the exercise combinations a little more. Doing push presses after bench was very difficult, as was doing deads, bent BB rows and power snatches on the same day, my lower back didn’t like it! But hey, it’s all a learning experience.

As for body composition changes I started at 94kg and finished up at 96kg yesterday. I got one of the Fat Track II digital calipers in the middle of week 1 and have gone from 16.7% at the end of Week 1 to 15.5% yesterday. I will have to see if this result stays consistent as I’m more than aware that I need to make sure the measurements are consistent through pracice. Each result is an average of 3 readings I do each Saturday morning.

I’ve also been doing CT’s Running Man 12 week program throughout, although not as regulary as I would like, but this may have helped lose some fat.

The tape measurements showed a loss of 1cm from my waist and a gain of 3cm on my shoulders. I think I am looking a bit more defined in the mirror, although i don’t have a “before” shot to compare. I’ve borrowed a digital camera to take shots to determine if I should do the Neanderthal No More program after the next cycle so I can use these as a comparison in a month’s time.

I’ve got the feeling I have a few things that need fixing up in my back such as a slight anterior pelvic tilt and increased lordosis of the lower back. I’m not a Neanderthal by any means but I think that in things like squats I have a few issues making them difficult. I’ll test this out when doing squats in the next WM cycle. I will post the program this week after working out the exercises.

Cheers,

Ben