BFS

I just took a job as a eight-man varsity football coach in oklahoma. The school has never had the kids lift weights ever! They didn’t have a squat rack or bench until yesterday when I went and bought used from the prison system. I’m curious about a group called BFS (bigger faster stronger) they have a training program with a training log and posters designed for High School use. Have any of you heard of this program OR could you suggest a set program for these football players that are about to begin lifting weights?

I was a highschool football player, and I did BFS. Basically, it focuses on the first 3 weeks as hypertrophy and the next 6 focusing on strength. It’s a solid program. My strenth gains were sweet. Plus, if none of the athletes have lifted weights, the team will sprout like genetically altered corn! The only thing I would watch out for is the form of the students when they do thier core lifts. Hope this helps-Watts-

Yes I have heard of the BFS program. In fact my coach has had our team on it for the last two years. Its incredible!! I am only a sophmore in high school and i benchpress 315 squat 405 deadlift 450. All of my maxes have gone up an amazing 100lbs from last year. My team mates have had very similar results. I strongly suggest this program, but you cant get lazy you have to be dedicated. Good luck on your coaching…

After doing BFS for almost 10 months with my football team, I have to say its an awesome system. By focusing on only compound movements(Bench, Squat, Deadlift,Powerclean and variations)and low reps in a weekly periodized format, everyone on my team gained a tremendous amount of mass and strength from BFS. Also, the rep scheme virtually eliminated plateus. In 10 months my bench went up 60 pounds, to 315, squat up 80, to 365, deadlift up 160, to 495, and powerclean up 65, to 260. It really paid off during the season. My school paid for a clinic in which some coach from Ohio came and taught us the proper way to use the system. I would definitly recommend it, but on the other hand I have to be selfish and wouldnt want other schools near mine to have this advantage.

BFS is great for about 13 weeks or so, then it starts to get boring. i know college football players that have been on it for 3 years. Of course you can make variations. I got huge gains in strength from doing this program. I did Incline Bench, Leg Press Front Squat, Snatch, DB Snatch or a back movement instead of Box Squats or Towel Bench, which are 2 movements I think are better suited for powerlifting training. I rotate the exercises somewhat too. I think the best part of it is how the kids will always increase what they are doing and NOT do the typical high school football bench press routine: warm up with 135, do a work set with 185, then try to do 225, get 2 halfassed reps, then onto curls!

Rex: NUMBER ONE IS TO GET THESE KIDS USED TO LIFTING FUNDAMENTALS AND PROPER FORM WITH LIGHT WEIGHTS. Secondly, a testosterone laden high school kid can just about eat anything and grow, but I would at least attempt to introduce them to proper nutrition and let them know that THAT is what will give them the “edge” over their pizza eatin’ competitors across town. You can also introduce the concept of “free days” to them interspersed with “strict” diet days. Seems to work…(sort of!). (Tell them high school girls like lean physiques if your “Win one for the Gipper” speeches don’t work! :)!!!. You’ll have the leanest and meanest team in town!

That being said: look at Dr. Hatfield's Site and click up the article "Football Training, Cycle Training Tables." That's a good start. (By the way; CONTACT THE FOOTBALL STRENGH COACHES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA! They are some of the best in the nation!) Universities also often have used equipment that they are willing to donate, as well as Health Clubs.

Hope this helps!

BFS is exactly what you need. It’s really a variation of Louie Simmons’ Westside system. It’s just put in simpler rep/set brackets without all of the more difficult movements. But its great for what you need it for. Follow it to a T and you’ll be fine.

Dr. Hatfields Site is drsquat.

ok so i was a BFS guy also. theres one main problem with the program and thats the risk of overtraining and injury. although i ended my highschool career benching over 400lbs i couldnt break 350 until i was taught to pause and work explosion i think maybe a modification on the BFS to concentrate on fiber recruitment would be ideal and im working on a modified version for my alma maters program ill post it here. BTW if you dont belive you overtrain try BFS take a week off and watch how much strength you have.

Where do i get a hold of this BFS programme.
is there a net site

BFS is a good program but you should add in some movements to strenghten these kids hip-flexers. From looking at the program the only movement that may give you some help in this area is the deadlift and only as a compound movement(very copound).Incorperating a seated good-morning or some bent-knee deadlifts will not only help increase leg power but hel to prevent knee injuries.Also teach these kids how to squat without bets and go deep.Check out some of Ian Kings articles and you’ll learn vollumes!Hope I’ve helped.