T Nation

Bf% and How to Approach Lean Bulk?

Ok so about a year ago I started lifting. I’m 5’11" and used to be overweight at 190lbs. When overweight, I was a swimmer and built some muscle from doing that year round. I was definitely fat though. I then stopped swimming, and now after a year of proper nutrition and a solid lifting routine, I have improved strength in all my lifts and cut down to 155lbs. I just lift (4-5 days a week for about 60-80min intense) and do occasional cardio.

What bodyfat% do you think I am now? (Hopefully these pics post)

Also, now I want to stop restricting calories now (eating at approx. 2000 calories a day 40/40/20). How do you think I should approach maintenance and then a slow, lean bulk?

They didn’t. Instead of trying to embed them, which I don’t think the forum supports, use the Upload Image button at the top of the reply box.

Shelby Starnes has this article specifically explaining that.

ok thanks, hopefully this works now. thanks for the link to the article

BF estimates are difficult. If I had to guess, I would say 14-15%ish. You don’t have much fat, but you don’t have a ton of muscle either.

The best way to approach a lean bulk is to understand that building real muscle takes years. Strap in for the long haul and be consistent. Find out your caloric maintenance level and each just slightly above that. (250 kcal surplus).

I personally like my calories from my macros evenly split, 33%kcal protein, 33%kcal carbs, 33%kcal fat. I’m certain you already know that protein and carbs have 4 kcal/gram and fat has 9kcal/gram.

Get on a program that has you working in all rep ranges heavy compound lifts with lower reps and isolation lifts with moderate/high reps. There are plenty to choose from on this site.

Don’t forget about your legs either.

your bodyfat is low. DEFINITELY lower than 14-15 percent, I have no idea how Hostile came up with that. My guess is right around 9-10.

He is right about you not being muscular though. You’re in a good place to start adding muscle for sure. You look like a guy who could be moderately athletic I guess, but you haven’t built much yet.

I like your macro split currently. You could add about 300-400 calories to your diet and start lifting consistently. This would work for quite awhile. When muscular gains stagnate, you can bump calories a little more.

Another approach would be to add most of the additional calories as carbs. That’s what I do when I want to pack on some muscle. It keeps energy high for me, and it’s easy to do. At the end of the day, you just have to figure out what works for you.

Low body fat doesn’t necessarily mean that BF percentage is low, especially if the person in question isn’t carrying a lot of muscle. Without losing any fat at all, if he put on only muscle, his BF % would decrease as a result.

I came up with the number the same way as you. I guessed. After looking at the pics again however, I’d have to concede that flip is probably right and you’re probably lower than 14-15.