Until the Wheels Fall Off

[quote]JoeGood wrote:
Tony I gotta say I admire the way you switched gears lifting wise and then just crushed Oly lifting.[/quote]

Thanks Joe - I don’t know that I’ve crushed it, but I definitely feel confident of reaching my goals of a 185lbs snatch and a 225 clean and jerk. Having a coach is shortening the learning curve immensely.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:
Been seriously working it for a month and a half, but I had to drop weight on the bar and strengthen/groove that bottom position.[/quote]

That’s what I’m going to have to do. It’s a bit humbling to say so, but 132lbs is just too heavy for me right now.

Have you seen the Ironmind video of Dimas in the same series where he nonchalantly power cleans 375? Incredible.

How did that virtual meet go DCA?

And I think you could muscle up those goals of yours in fairly short order. To do it looking like Carl though, that’s the rub…

[quote]punnyguy wrote:
How did that virtual meet go DCA?

And I think you could muscle up those goals of yours in fairly short order. To do it looking like Carl though, that’s the rub…[/quote]

Dunno - the meet still needs to acquire a third judge to finish the judging. Online PL meets get lots of judging offers, but the weightlifting meets seem to make people reticent to judge. It’s pretty clear cut whether you performed the lift legally or not, so I don’t really understand the lack of judges. I’d be willing to judge, but for the obvious claim of favoritism…

I think I got beaten this time though.

As long as it goes up, it doesn’t matter what it looks like.

aren’t there fine points like catching with locked elbows that matter?

don’t mind me, just claiming my spot in your new log

stretches feet out and dumps them on the coffee table

[quote]nlmain wrote:
don’t mind me, just claiming my spot in your new log

stretches feet out and dumps them on the coffee table

[/quote]

Welcome. Feel free to take your shoes (or anything else that’s uncomfortable) off.

I think snatches will go well tomorrow because I am really pissed off and full of fucking awesome.

Love the new title, and speaking from experience, ‘this’ beats the hell out of drugs.

Yeah soldog, there are silly little things like the rules that have to be followed too. My favorite is not being allowed to leave the platform before you finish the lift.

[quote]LittleStrick wrote:
Nice work, Tony. Of course, I have no idea what I am looking for/at. But I am 100% sure that it is infinitely better than anything I would do.

I guess I need to breakdown and go figure out what the lifts are and how they are supposed to look. So I can comment from somewhere other than absolute ignorance.[/quote]

Here’s how they are supposed to look:

That is the “snatch” followed by the “clean and jerk”? I thought there was one where they split their legs, front and back, when pressing the weight. Or is that not an actual lift?

I think snatches will go well tomorrow because I am really pissed off and full of fucking awesome.[/quote]

Being pissed off and tapping into your own personal awesome is a potent combination. I’ll be expecting big weights and/or swearing.

From a cartoon I saw: “I don’t follow the laws of physics, I follow the laws of Awesome!”

[quote]LittleStrick wrote:

That is the “snatch” followed by the “clean and jerk”? I thought there was one where they split their legs, front and back, when pressing the weight. Or is that not an actual lift?[/quote]

If I may -pushing the weight overhead is the jerk, pushing it overhead like the guy in the video is called the squat jerk, pushing it overhead the way you describe it is called a split jerk. The split jerk is much much more prevalent, the squat jerk is considered more technically challenging to do.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:
Tony I gotta say I admire the way you switched gears lifting wise and then just crushed Oly lifting.[/quote]
Joe, I was thinking the same thing. Not many of us completely change the way we train. Nice work Tony.

[quote]Carl Darby wrote:
Yeah soldog, there are silly little things like the rules that have to be followed too. My favorite is not being allowed to leave the platform before you finish the lift.[/quote]

Good to know the case where the lifter runs with the bar overhead into the audience is covered…

[quote]giterdone wrote:

I think snatches will go well tomorrow because I am really pissed off and full of fucking awesome.[/quote]

Being pissed off and tapping into your own personal awesome is a potent combination. I’ll be expecting big weights and/or swearing.[/quote]

Unfortunately, past performance dictates I stay at the same weights this session as last session. I expect the lifts themselves will be performed better, however.

2011-4-1

Snatch pull to knees + snatch
125 1x5

Snatches
135 1x5

Polish Press
165 3x3
155 3x2

Squats
295 3x3

Snatches - I consider these SMOKED! Only one was momentarily in doubt and I saved that one at the bottom. I can raise weight now.

Took snatch grip on polish press (which is the definition of it, actually) 165 got to be too hard on the shoulders so I dropped to 155. I’ll work back up by 2.5’s I think. We’ll see.

I tried to bounce my hams off my calves on squats. Missed doing so on some of them and my back angle sucked for the first two sets. Mostly fixed it on the last set but I’ll have to stay at 295 for at least another session.

Holy bruised traps, batman! The Polish Press thing looks like it would be brutal on the trap area, bruise-wise anyhow. Pussies like myself won’t be doing that any time soon. You OL’ers must be real men, heh.