Beyond Ridiculous

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
What would happen if a middle aged white guy failed to move forward, failed to produce a license and registration, called the cop a brat and a dumb shit? He would likely get arrested. Would it be national news? Probably not.

(Cranky old bag + handcuff happy rookie)- relevant details = national news.

Just because she is 75 and a grandmother of eight doesn’t mean she gets a free pass. Just because someone doesn’t immediately comply with a lawful order doesn’t mean they are engaging in disorderly conduct. Both parties should have reacted differently. This cop is going to get shit from the guys on his department for a long time.[/quote]

Get the fuck out of here! The cop was a dumb shit first. Second, blocking traffic at a lard ass fast food joint and being rude are not jail-able offenses. She may be a bitch, but if I had to throw every bitch I knew in jail for being a bitch, there’d be alot of bitches in jail.

Why doesn’t that cop do something revolutionary and try to stop crime instead of further greasing his gelatonous ass with quarter-pounders.

Throwing granny in jail did absolutely nothing for anybody. It just made the police dept. there look like a bunch of dumbasses.

Obey the minions of State or else…

I don’t know, the story is kind of confusing. The employees told her to pull up to a spot where she would block traffic? If so, was there another way to exit the parking lot? I’m sure there had to be.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Get the fuck out of here! The cop was a dumb shit first.[/quote]

My mistake. I forgot the “he did dumb shit first” rule. I hope I can remember it when I get old.

So, to be sure I have it straight, if a cop does something dumb first I don’t have to comply with anything he says afterwards, no matter how reasonable? Cool.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
pat36 wrote:
Get the fuck out of here! The cop was a dumb shit first.

My mistake. I forgot the “he did dumb shit first” rule. I hope I can remember it when I get old.

So, to be sure I have it straight, if a cop does something dumb first I don’t have to comply with anything he says afterwards, no matter how reasonable? Cool.

[/quote]

Pat,

How do you figure he was the dumb shit first?

Cops are starting to act as if they were the military and we were iraquies.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
pat36 wrote:

Pat,

How do you figure he was the dumb shit first?[/quote]

I should have worded it differently. First, he was a dumb shit. I was not referring to the order of the events. Just to his pettiness.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
pat36 wrote:

Pat,

How do you figure he was the dumb shit first?

I should have worded it differently. First, he was a dumb shit. I was not referring to the order of the events. Just to his pettiness.[/quote]

I agree, he was a dumb shit. He could have handled a rude, clueless 75 year old driver much better. He is poorly suited for policework.

The SP Times writer fills in a few more details:

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/01/22/news_pf/Northpinellas/Flip_side_is_told_in_.shtml

Yeah…If the the officer actually did try to get the woman to move for 20 minutes, so he could move, she was way out of line. She couldn’t just pull up so he could get back on patrol? Of course, the report may or may not be accurate. I’m not judging this one.

A McDonald’s manager backed Parco’s account, according to the report. Laura Nicholson said Merola refused to move her car, was rude to Parco and told the officer he could not arrest her.

So we’re in agreement then:
[b]
“Blocking the Drive-Thru”

• “Saying ‘You can’t arrest me for that!’” = “Disorderly Conduct”
    = “Go directly to Jail”
    [/b]
    Now we know. And knowing is half the battle!

She was in the wrong here. She blocked him from being able to then do his job. If I pulled my car in front of your driveway and refused to move you would get pissed too. The cop may have gone overboard a bit but the old hag had it coming.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

A McDonald’s manager backed Parco’s account, according to the report. Laura Nicholson said Merola refused to move her car, was rude to Parco and told the officer he could not arrest her. [/quote]

But why wait for the sum of the facts to come out before dispassionately weighing the information and making a judgment when you can fire up a juvenile tantrum shrieking about “the Man” to give you that awesome sense of freshman-in-high-school rebel coolness?

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
But why wait for the sum of the facts to come out before dispassionately weighing the information and making a judgment when you can fire up a juvenile tantrum shrieking about “the Man” to give you that awesome sense of freshman-in-high-school rebel coolness?[/quote]

Look, I’d stop bitching about the Man so much if he’d just stop keeping me down.

I mean, gosh!

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Yeah…If the the officer actually did try to get the woman to move for 20 minutes, so he could move, she was way out of line. She couldn’t just pull up so he could get back on patrol? Of course, the report may or may not be accurate. I’m not judging this one.[/quote]

20 minutes! For french fries and coffee? Has anybody ever waited 20 minutes at a drive thru? They could have run to Starbucks, picked up a bag of beans, ground them by hand, and brewed the shit in less then twenty minutes. I have disputes with the times.

[quote]John S. wrote:
She was in the wrong here. She blocked him from being able to then do his job. If I pulled my car in front of your driveway and refused to move you would get pissed too. The cop may have gone overboard a bit but the old hag had it coming.[/quote]

I didn’t know scoring a Big Mac was part of a policeman’s job description?

[quote]pat36 wrote:
I didn’t know scoring a Big Mac was part of a policeman’s job description? [/quote]

Donuts, on the other hand…

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Sloth wrote:
Yeah…If the the officer actually did try to get the woman to move for 20 minutes, so he could move, she was way out of line. She couldn’t just pull up so he could get back on patrol? Of course, the report may or may not be accurate. I’m not judging this one.

20 minutes! For french fries and coffee? Has anybody ever waited 20 minutes at a drive thru? They could have run to Starbucks, picked up a bag of beans, ground them by hand, and brewed the shit in less then twenty minutes. I have disputes with the times.[/quote]

Parco said Merola continued to yell after receiving her food, demanding that Clearwater police Chief Sid Klein respond to the scene. He pleaded with her to move for about 20 minutes, but she refused to budge, Parco said.

It appears that there will never be any clear facts in this case. We have his side of the story, and we have her side of the story. The witnesses are suspect at best.

Let’s take the manager, for example. It is highly unlikely that he was just hanging out in the parking lot to witness the opening exchange. The woman might have been irate when he finally stepped outside to see what the commotion was, but by that time she might have had plenty of reason to be irate.

This is really all about how the cop started it, his initial attitude and tone of voice.

If the cop “layed on the horn” as the article says, then walked up to her window and asked for her license and registration, implying he was going to write her a ticket without warning or explanation, then he was a belligerent jackass, and shouldn’t be trusted with a badge.

If the cop tapped the horn, then got out and politely said “m’am could you pull forward a few feet so I could get out?” like he should have, and then she started freaking out on him, then he should have arrested her.

There’s a right way to deal with people, especially if you’re in a position of authority, and you should always be respectful to your elders, until they prove that they don’t deserve that respect. So I won’t pass judgement in this case, unless it turns out that the officer’s car had a camera in it, and we can watch and listen for ourselves to see how he initiated the situation.