T Nation

Beyond 531 Training Maximally Question

in the book i am a little confused about the 100% set. i understand there are a few options i could do. one being just doing a single, and the other is a pr set. but in the note section it says not for max reps. so i am not exactly sure what it is saying. should it push it like the the normal 531 top set?

I had a lot of success training this way. What I did was always leave it as a game time decision, although by the time I got to the weight room I usually had a good idea what I was going to do.

Like you said, you can just hit the TM for a single and bag it, or move on to FSL work, you can push for jokers, you can take the TM for a PR set (i.e. set a rep PR with that weight, which is different from doing max reps). Or you can hit it for any number of reps short of a PR. That’s where the autoregulation comes in.

If you aren’t experienced enough to know your body, or you’re not comfortable making a lot of decisions on the fly, this approach probably isn’t for you.

PR does not mean max reps.

i guess my next question is whats the difference between rep pr and max reps?

i guess my next question is what is the difference between a rep pr and max reps?

[quote]robca79 wrote:
i guess my next question is what is the difference between a rep pr and max reps?[/quote]

Max reps = Maximum number of reps you’re able to complete for a given set
Rep PR = Rep Personal record a.k.a the most reps you have ever done of a particular weight.

You always have the ability to perform max reps, but that doesn’t mean you’ll hit a new rep pr each session.

[quote]robca79 wrote:
i guess my next question is what is the difference between a rep pr and max reps?[/quote]

Is this the section from the book to which you are referring:

“NOTE: The PR set is not for max reps, rather it is for a rep PR. Whether or not you do a PR set or a single is 100% up to you.”

Wendler, Jim (2013-07-05). Beyond 5/3/1: Simple Training for Extraordinary Results (Kindle Location 833). Jim Wendler LLC. Kindle Edition.

If it is, I was always confused by that, also. I took it to mean that if my old PR at my TM was 1 rep, I would do 2 reps (setting a PR), but not go for 3 or 4 if I was able to do so. I’m completely unqualified to know, though, and I didn’t worry about it too much since I was usually working with singles.

Say you do 100kg press for 3 reps as your best ever lift.
You train for a week.
100kg comes up again.
You push out 3 and are feeling strong, so you do another. That’s a rep PR
You still feel strong and instead of ending it you keep going hitting a total of 6 (with 1 in the tank). That’s max reps.

One is beating your previous best, the other is doing as much as you can on the day. The book explains how to go for rep PRs with different weights.