Beyond 5/3/1

I have the new Beyond 5/3/1 ebook and have been training it for a couple of weeks. I have a question about the BBB programming.

If I am running the 5/3/1 with Joker sets and first set last, does that need to change when I decide to do the BBB?

Using squats as an example

Squats 5/3/1+ joker sets+ first set last

deadlifts 5x10.

or would that be too much work? i understand that the PR set is not used in the BBB challenge but If I were to do BBB just the 50% is that too much work?

You don’t do Boring but big and the jokers/FSL. Check out the training in the Beyond book as it is all separated in 6 week blocks and you are able to focus on specific goals - not going everything at one time.

I also am a fan and bought the 2nd edition 5/3/1 and the new “Beyond 5/3/1”. I think I made the same mistake? I’ve been doing what I thought was the base program plus Joker Sets and FSL and BBB assistance plus various other things like pull-ups.

Yesterday was deadlifts: I did the 10% x 5, 20% x 5, etc until 70% x 3, 80% x 3, 90% x 1, 100% x 1 (only managed 1 that day), 1 joker set, then 70% for 3 x 8.

Then I did squats for 5 x 10 at 55%. I wondered if I was implementing this wrong as my workouts have been getting pretty long.

In those early sets where the recommendation is say 3-5 reps, should I always go for 5? Or go lighter so I have more available for the heavier sets? Or should that decision be a function of how I’m feeling that day?

So adding BBB assistance to this appears to be to much, what are some of the rest of you doing for assistance work while doing the Beyond 5/3/1 base program plus Jokers and FSL?

Thanks.

[quote]markschoon wrote:
I also am a fan and bought the 2nd edition 5/3/1 and the new “Beyond 5/3/1”. I think I made the same mistake? I’ve been doing what I thought was the base program plus Joker Sets and FSL and BBB assistance plus various other things like pull-ups.

Yesterday was deadlifts: I did the 10% x 5, 20% x 5, etc until 70% x 3, 80% x 3, 90% x 1, 100% x 1 (only managed 1 that day), 1 joker set, then 70% for 3 x 8.

Then I did squats for 5 x 10 at 55%. I wondered if I was implementing this wrong as my workouts have been getting pretty long.

In those early sets where the recommendation is say 3-5 reps, should I always go for 5? Or go lighter so I have more available for the heavier sets? Or should that decision be a function of how I’m feeling that day?

So adding BBB assistance to this appears to be to much, what are some of the rest of you doing for assistance work while doing the Beyond 5/3/1 base program plus Jokers and FSL?

Thanks.[/quote]

You don’t do any assistance work - maybe some back raises and sit-ups for lower body work. And some lats/upper back/biceps for UB work. We had tons of people have massive success with this on the forum. More does not = better. Better = better.

I’d rather someone do jumps and throws than fart around with assistance work.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

You don’t do any assistance work - maybe some back raises and sit-ups for lower body work. And some lats/upper back/biceps for UB work. We had tons of people have massive success with this on the forum. More does not = better. Better = better.

I’d rather someone do jumps and throws than fart around with assistance work.
[/quote]

Thanks Jim.

I’m going to start Template 3 from your “Training Templates for Beyond 5/3/1 Training Program” with some pull-ups thrown in and back off on the assistance work that’s probably getting in the way. I’ve also got my TM calculated to high as I’m having a hard time doing more than 1 or 2 joker sets.

Slowly but surely I’m figuring this out. Thanks for all the work you’ve done to get this flexible and adaptable program out there to us.

Re: the ‘Beyond 5/3/1’, I’ve been training this way since June with very good results (20-25 lbs increases in lifetime PRs in each of the powerlifts). I don’t really do assistance work.

The way I’ve done it is to basically train every day, taking days off when I feel I need them. I’ll do one lift a day, but will squat up to 1xTM before I pull. Whether I hit a single at TM, a rep set, or work up beyond that depends entirely on how I feel that night. I’ll get a notion in my head during the day that I may work up to something but it isn’t set in stone til I get under the bar.

After the main work I’ll hit a couple back off sets, sometimes with a close variation like pause squats or benches, and some lat or ab work and that’s it. Definitely not beating myself up with these down sets. If you want to train frequently and get strong I’d recommend considering this kind of setup.