Beyond 5/3/1 Set Up (Joker and First Set Last)

Hi guys I just read up on beyond 5/3/1 and am planning to use it on a lean bulk (0.5 lb a week)

I am incorporating joker sets and the first set last as recommended by Wendler for the best strength gains

If any of you are unfamiliar

Joker sets are sets after the AMRAP which are done in 5-10% increases of up to 5 reps until no more sets can be done, then the “first set last” is done as 3-5x5-8 for more volume

I’m also considering doing the joker sets and the “first set last” sets only on my upper days, as my lower body grows very easily, unless I am recommended otherwise

Dead lift 5/3/1 (followed by sets of 5-10% increases for 1-5 reps, then 3-5x5-8 @ 65%)
RFESS 2-3x8-12
Hamstring curl 3-4x8-12
Hanging leg raise 5x10-15

Bench 5/3/1 (followed by sets of 5-10% increases for 1-5 reps, then 3-5x5-8 @ 65%)
DB row 4-5x8-12
Overhead press 5x10
Barbell shrug 3-4x8-12
Tricep pushdown 3-4x8-12
DB curl 3-4x8-12
Rear delt flye 3-4x8-12

Squat 5/3/1 (followed by sets of 5-10% increases for 1-5 reps, then 3-5x5-8 @ 65%)
Split squat 2-4x8-12
RDL 3-4x8-12

Overhead press 5/3/1 (followed by sets of 5-10% increases for 1-5 reps, then 3-5x5-8 @ 65%)
Incline DB press 5x8-12
Pull up 4-5x8-12
DB shrug 3-4x8-12
Dips 3-4x8-12
Barbell curl 3-4x8-12

Also will this be too much volume?

Anyways how does it looks guys?

Way too much assistance.

Assistance suggestions:

On pressing days - upper back/lats, biceps, rotator cuff

On lower body days - lower back, abs, maybe a small amount of hamstrings (or do GHR or hypers as it will do lower back and hams in on go - boom, improved training economy)

You definitely do not need any additional pressing after upper body days, the jokers and FSL/down sets will be more than enough.

My 2c:

Drop all that assistance. Do the main lifts only, and incorporate the Jokers + FSL on them.

Do that for a few cycles at minimum, or a few months at better. Trust me. Jokers + FSL will eff you up (in a good way).

Then, if you think you need to add assistance- go ahead. But always remember, assistance exercises should only be selected if you have a very specific reason to desire them. That means they should be quite minimalistic.

Do the main lift, maybe some jokers, FSL, Wendler 6.
Then use have “consistency” conditioning goal. Use diet rules I outlined.

Don’t fall for “slow bulk”. Do things right, all the time. That way you get strong, bigger and never get fat. And get in great shape.
Keep all other factors of training in so you are also explosive, flexible, etc.

Jim—I’ve read all your books and hate to say it…I must have missed what the Wendler 6 is.

Can you explain? Thanks in advance!

Jim—I’ve read all your books and hate to say it…I must have missed what the Wendler 6 is.

Can you explain? Thanks in advance!

Oh shit…just found it explained in a post you just made. Nevermind!