Beyond 5/3/1 and Linear Progression in Chin Ups

Hi. I am doing BBB 3 Month Challenge already but my question concerns assistance lifts. I have an idea to do after main lift and BBB this:

Press Day
Chin ups - 3 x 5 (linear progression 5 lbs per week)
Kroc rows - 2 x 10

Bench press Day
Kroc rows - 3 x 10
Chin ups - 2 x 5 (first set weight from press day, second + 5 lbs which are weight to next press day chin ups)

What do you think?

I would just rep out chins for a rep goal and throw some heavy rows on pull day.

I do BW chin-ups between each set of bench press and overhead press on their respective days.

On bench day, after bench press I do military press for 5 sets, supersetting 5x5 weighted chin-ups. Each week I add 2.5 pounds. I started with ~25% of my 1RM weighted chin-up for 5x5, up to ~40% now.

baugust it’s very interesting idea. So for example:

Press Day
Press 5/3/1
Bench press BBB + Chin ups 5x5

Bench press Day
Bench press 5/3/1
Press BBB + Chin ups 5x5

What about rest of assistance? Maybe Kroc Rows in one day, and second Barbell rows? I am doing tricep pushdowns and bicep curls at press and bench press days after all.

What do you think?

I think rows are a superior back exercise to pull ups.

i think youre better off doing something like this…

press, chins for reps (good for shoulder health) set a rep goal

bench, high rep rows.1-2 sets of kroc rows

deadlift, rows with a 5-3-1 template (if you do this I would do pulls before bench day)

[quote]Wanabsedated wrote:
I think rows are a superior back exercise to pull ups.

i think youre better off doing something like this…

press, chins for reps (good for shoulder health) set a rep goal

bench, high rep rows.1-2 sets of kroc rows

deadlift, rows with a 5-3-1 template (if you do this I would do pulls before bench day)[/quote]

I personally don’t agree with the first statement. I think they both are equally important (depending on your goals). They’re both staples in my program.

[quote]RAWRER wrote:
baugust it’s very interesting idea. So for example:

Press Day
Press 5/3/1
Bench press BBB + Chin ups 5x5

Bench press Day
Bench press 5/3/1
Press BBB + Chin ups 5x5

What about rest of assistance? Maybe Kroc Rows in one day, and second Barbell rows? I am doing tricep pushdowns and bicep curls at press and bench press days after all.

What do you think?[/quote]

Sort of. Here’s what I do:

Bench:
5/3/1 Bench + BW chins
5x5-8 Military Press (First Set Last %) + Weighted chins (5x5, linear progression)
3x20 Face Pulls (eye-level)

Overhead Press:
5/3/1 Overhead Press + BW chins
5x5-8 Close-grip Bench (FSL %) + 5x5-8 Pendlay Row (FSL %)
3x20 Face Pulls (from above)

If you also want to do Kroc rows (or heavy DB rows in general), you could add a set of two on deadlift day like Wanabsedated mentioned. That gives you at least one day to focus on horizontal pulling, and another for vertical pulling.

I am doing 3 month challenge so doing rows in deadlift day after squats 5x10 don’t seems good, I am right? What about do chins and weighted chins in bench day (bench + chins, ohp + weighted chins) and chins with rows in ohp day (ohp + chins, bench + rows)?

[quote]RAWRER wrote:
I am doing 3 month challenge so doing rows in deadlift day after squats 5x10 don’t seems good, I am right? What about do chins and weighted chins in bench day (bench + chins, ohp + weighted chins) and chins with rows in ohp day (ohp + chins, bench + rows)? [/quote]

Yup, sounds good to me. If you wanted to make it even less boring, you could do fairly light (equivalent to BW chins in terms of intensity) DB rows with bench, then weighted chins with the OHP BBB. Then on press day, BW chins with OHP, and BB rows with bench. Just an idea.

[quote]RAWRER wrote:
Hi. I am doing BBB 3 Month Challenge already but my question concerns assistance lifts. I have an idea to do after main lift and BBB this:

Press Day
Chin ups - 3 x 5 (linear progression 5 lbs per week)
Kroc rows - 2 x 10

Bench press Day
Kroc rows - 3 x 10
Chin ups - 2 x 5 (first set weight from press day, second + 5 lbs which are weight to next press day chin ups)

What do you think?[/quote]

I think you should do the program as planned.

Jim you write in your book to feel free with doing super sets for make workout shorter etc. that’s why I want to do super sets.

baugust thanks for advice. I am after OHP day and feel great, thanks!

You could just use 5/3/1 reps and percentages, just make sure to factor you BW into your calculations. I’ve made much better progress with this than a linear progression.