Beyond 1.1 Thoughts the Second Time Around

This template is awesome, just plain awesome. Don’t change it, just do it. Don’t ask questions, just do it. Do the Agile 8, do the jumps and throws, make all the sets and reps. I can’t recommend it enough.

First time around I made good progress, but I wasn’t following it to the letter. I wouldn’t warm up or jump because I thought I didn’t have time or some stupid shit. Take the jumps seriously as well, you might feel weird in a commercial gym, but who gives a shit. this is about you getting stronger, not what Johnny Biceps on the preacher curl might think. Abandon your ego and do what needs to be done. Stretch, mobilise and move.
The agile 8 is an exercise, don’t just go through the motions. Honestly the more I focus on each part of it, the better I am prepared when its time to squat.

I wasn’t eating like a champ either and that would have impacted my recovery so much.
I have not missed an all-time PR yet this time around. Sure I’m only on week 2, workout 3…but 5 straight all-time PR’s I will take any day.
I also used to add in extra assistance stuff and do like a fourth ‘arms’ day because I thought I could. Don’t be like me…just don’t be that guy. The pull-up volume should get you across the line, coupled with all the pressing if you eat right.
I don’t follow the ‘12 eggs and 1.5lb of ground beef’ but a typical day of eating for me is

Breakfast: 6 eggs scrambled
100g oats with milk
2 slices of toast with peanut butter

Snack: Fruit and a protein shake (20g protein, 20g carb)

Lunch: 350g steak
4 baked potatoes
big salad

Snack: fruit and a protein shake (20g protein, 20g carb)

Dinner: 350g chicken breast
2 cups white rice
2 cups broccoli

snack: 2 slices of toast with peanut butter
1 tub greek yoghurt
1 protein shake (20g protein, 20g carb)

I’m 83.5kg.

so far pretty much just from eating I’ve put on 2-3kgs and I’m telling you, that has definitely carried over into my lifting. If you’re like me and always eat like a bird, you will not get the most out of this program. Eat like you want to grow. Honestly I hate eating breakfast, it’s a stupid problem to have and sometimes it takes me 45mins to an hour to get through it. Get up earlier if you need. It’s only 20 weeks of your life, and it will make all the difference.

The PR’s I have hit up to this point (in order) are: wk1d1 Squat 170x5, wk1d2 Deadlift 170x8, wk1d3 Bench 110x7, wk2d1 Press 57.5x9 (big deal for me, my OHP sucks) and this morning wk2d2 Squat 162.5x10 which meant a lot to me. 2xBW for 10 is within my grasp, and so early in the cycle, I’m going to blow it out of the water.

Oh yeah, the weight vest walking. Do not skip it. For me, it is as much a recovery tool as it is a conditioning tool. With the full body style of training each day, you’ll be puffing anyway so you don’t have to worry about losing too much conditioning, at least that’s what I’ve found.

Jim I am so grateful that you put this program on this site for free. Your eBooks are two of the best investments I ever made, both for my lifting and my future career (studying human movement, exercise and sports science)

For those who haven’t done the program, don’t read ahead to 1.2 etc until you’ve completed 1.1.
You don’t want to be predicting your maxes or stuff like that. Just take it a day at a time.
Use 1.1 to set some rep PRs, and use the 5x5 work to dial your form in. Make every rep count.

Something that I have been doing, which i’ve found useful to me, is only Belting up on my final set of the main lift (the 5+, 3+ or 1+ set). This has two benefits (to me), 1) Squatting/deadlifting/benching/pressing beltless means you MUST be braced correctly and using good form, and 2) when I put the belt on it has a psychological effect, I know its go time and I feel so firmly braced. I instantly feel stronger.
might work for you, might not.

1 Like

I remember running the first two parts of that program around the time it came out. It was a lot of fun. If I ever get to go back to lifting three days per week, this is saved as an option.

Thanks for the write-up! I definitely agree with you on the food intake, the Agile 8, and the messing around with the assistance.

You’re really making me want to go back to try this template again!

Im on the last week of 1.2, and I´m enjoying it aswell. Its a bit different than a classic 531, but the quality is undeniable.

I really try to follow it to the letter, including buying (and using) a weight vest. I slack on the Agile 8 tho. I tend to only do them before I workout. Could go to bed an hour earlier too…

I look forward to the rest of program. Any suggestions to which template to follow it up?

I suppose the follow up template depends on your goals at the end of the cycle really. If you feel burned out then maybe something less challenging, like classic 5/3/1 with bodyweight accessories maybe. I dunno, it really depends on you and your goals.
Personally I fucked up my training last time, tried to do my own westside sort of thing with no real sound knowledge of Westside methodology as a whole. I came off beyond on a high and then set myself backwards for like a month and a half.
If I end up feeling like I want to build some mass then maybe Monolith, and but I have also wanted to do SVR II. But the reality is I will know when I get there.
roundabout way of saying I’m not really sure haha.
I would pick an area you want to improve and the appropriate template to target it.
SST is always great also.

PR train continues…Deadlifts 160(kg) for 13 reps. I think I used to do 5-7 reps with this…whatever it is I blew it away. I honestly think that only using the belt on the final set (or if I’m feeling beat up and shitty) is making a big ass difference to me. That and eating more. I still hate it.

Week 4 thoughts. This is where the eating, stretching and mobility work is important. Starting to get noticeable sore now, as the volume of work is adding up. Remember, it is part of the program and not optional.
Hit 180x5 for squats and 180x6 for deadlifts which are big PRs for me, especially the deadlift.
Also, don’t skip the week 5 ‘deload’. I know lots of people (myself included) will get excited to start 1.2 and the heavier weights but just suck it up princess. Do the 5x5 work and make it perfect.
Stretch, walk, eat.

Sounds like youre progressing nicely. Gj on the PR´s. And enjoy 1.1, the volume only goes up.

I´m a week in on 1.3 and the DL volume is real… And I keep it to 5 sets of 3 on DL accessory day. I dont think I´ve ever done that much deadlifting on a weekly basis. And I havent had the excess power to do any Joker sets yet. Perhaps I shouldve started with an 80 or 85 TM.

The program is awesome tho, and I look forward to every workout.