Beware of Supplements

[quote]N85 wrote:

[quote]Bonesaw93 wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:
If the FDA gets regulatory control over supplements, say goodbye to 90% of your supplements, including Biotest in all likely hood. [/quote]

I try explaining this to friends every time they claim that FDA should have more control (as in regulate it like a pharma company). I ask them how a company can spend hundreds of millions of dollars to run clinical trials on something they can’t patent and expect to stay in business. Won’t happen.
[/quote]

Maybe…but what I meant is not FDA regulating supps as in requiring clinical trials from every supp makers for every one of their products.
What I’d like to see is the FDA checking those so-called “labs” that are certifying the safety of the ingredients of supps to make sure that the test results they put out are:
a. based on actual tests (doubt that Patel shit even conducted a single test - he just faked the test result documents…)
b. honest/correct/reflective of the actual ingredients in a supp
FDA could do this by reviewing/certifying these labs instead of going after the supp makers themselves
So, again, I dont want the FDA to poke their nose into every supp maker’s product line unless they have a minimally invasive review process that puts as little as possible financial strain on these supp makers while really improving safety - very doubtful that the govt. will come up with such a process…[/quote]

In that case I couldn’t agree more. I just hear too many people that want to take it to the extreme.

[quote]Jeffrey of Troy wrote:

[quote]Bonesaw93 wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:
If the FDA gets regulatory control over supplements, say goodbye to 90% of your supplements, including Biotest in all likely hood. [/quote]

I try explaining this to friends every time they claim that FDA should have more control (as in regulate it like a pharma company). I ask them how a company can spend hundreds of millions of dollars to run clinical trials on something they can’t patent and expect to stay in business. Won’t happen.
[/quote]

Supps aren’t regulated as strictly as drugs because drugs are - in many cases - far more dangerous. Is that too subtle a point for the avg person?

These “exposes” of supps in MSM really piss me off; where are the Dateline and 60 Minutes exposes of all the pharma companies well-documented scientific fraud? The FDA says “oh, now that the public has found out your drug doesn’t work and damages people for life, we’re going to make you withdraw it… but not until after you’ve made at least a billion $ profit he he.”
[/quote]

I think it is too subtle for most people haha. Actually in Chris Hansen’s defense he has an expose on the pharma companies that is excellent on the same web page. He tries to get Vioxx put into clinical trials. He creates a fake company and gets approval from a review board to conduct clinical trials and he gets companies in India who say they’ll run the trials despite knowing it’s Vioxx. It’s a pretty good segment. Just scroll down the recent episodes thing and it’s there.