T Nation

Beware of Supplements

Overall, a decent video. The main message is good, though the common person may not be smart enough to realize we shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/#46786929

Saw this online this morning. Actually a pretty good segment that shows how you need to know your supplements and not listen to some guy in the store. Unfortunately many people equate things like this as “all sups are bad”. Also, if you scroll down the recent vids section of that page he does a segment on pharmaceuticals too that is very good.

[quote]Bonesaw93 wrote:
Saw this online this morning. Actually a pretty good segment that shows how you need to know your supplements and not listen to some guy in the store. Unfortunately many people equate things like this as “all sups are bad”. Also, if you scroll down the recent vids section of that page he does a segment on pharmaceuticals too that is very good.[/quote]

Thanks for that heads up. I just love how several times they pointed out how supplements are regulated for safety by the FDA like drugs, yet does that really mean that much… VIOXX anyone, Statins anyone, lol

watched this sunday night. Proprietary blends are bullshit which is not news, better off making your own. The FDA is useless. However it never gets old when chris hansen “reveals” himself.

wow, thanks for the info on the drug company one, shocking and scary.

[quote]phishfood1128 wrote:
watched this sunday night. Proprietary blends are bullshit which is not news, better off making your own. The FDA is useless. However it never gets old when chris hansen “reveals” himself. [/quote]

You would think, by now, he wouldn’t have to tell anybody who he is anymore…you see his face, just give it up, you’re fucked.

[quote]benos4752 wrote:

[quote]phishfood1128 wrote:
watched this sunday night. Proprietary blends are bullshit which is not news, better off making your own. The FDA is useless. However it never gets old when chris hansen “reveals” himself. [/quote]

You would think, by now, he wouldn’t have to tell anybody who he is anymore…you see his face, just give it up, you’re fucked.[/quote]

I’ve only seen it a few times. I’d bet that if he came to my work posing, I wouldn’t recognize him, but I see your point

Any one know how much selenium they were OD’ing on?

I don’t think it said specifically, but they used milligrams as the measurement when it should have been micrograms, so in effect they received 1000x too much.

[quote]Otis Rush wrote:
I don’t think it said specifically, but they used milligrams as the measurement when it should have been micrograms, so in effect they received 1000x too much. [/quote]

Understood it the same way.
Gotta love that Dr. Patel dude…some nerve to keep insisting that he did everything right when faced with such clear evidence…

[quote]N85 wrote:

[quote]Otis Rush wrote:
I don’t think it said specifically, but they used milligrams as the measurement when it should have been micrograms, so in effect they received 1000x too much. [/quote]

Understood it the same way.
Gotta love that Dr. Patel dude…some nerve to keep insisting that he did everything right when faced with such clear evidence…[/quote]

And asshats like that are the reason I will get shit from people for “wasting my money” on supps.

Wow… people will do anything to make money; fucking sociopaths.

thread hijack regarding Chris Hansen…

while back I get an e-mail from a buddy , titled “HOT 15 YEAR OLD !”

so of course I open it …and there’s an image of Hansen , staring back with that " your-fucked-now" look on his face…haha .

end hi-jack

[quote]Bonesaw93 wrote:

[quote]N85 wrote:

[quote]Otis Rush wrote:
I don’t think it said specifically, but they used milligrams as the measurement when it should have been micrograms, so in effect they received 1000x too much. [/quote]

Understood it the same way.
Gotta love that Dr. Patel dude…some nerve to keep insisting that he did everything right when faced with such clear evidence…[/quote]

And asshats like that are the reason I will get shit from people for “wasting my money” on supps.[/quote]

totally 2nd that dude

and what’s even worse: instead of investigating that Patel cunt’s ass based on the pretty much crystal clear evidence showing that he is a fraud, the FDA guy is like “uhm, I’d like to bust him but we dont have regulatory authority…”
I mean WTF? its a $27B+ industry…granted, its a piddly amount compared to our fucking huge federal deficit but still - the agency regulating our food and our medicines should have sufficient authority & staff (way more than the 22 “cant do shit” assholes currently employed in their supps division) to crack down on frauds like Patel…

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
Any one know how much selenium they were OD’ing on?[/quote]

5 mgs. as someone else said it should have been 5 micrograms. That wasnt the only problem. there was black shit floating in the supplement that they strained with pantyhose according to court testimonials.

[quote]N85 wrote:

[quote]Bonesaw93 wrote:

[quote]N85 wrote:

[quote]Otis Rush wrote:
I don’t think it said specifically, but they used milligrams as the measurement when it should have been micrograms, so in effect they received 1000x too much. [/quote]

Understood it the same way.
Gotta love that Dr. Patel dude…some nerve to keep insisting that he did everything right when faced with such clear evidence…[/quote]

And asshats like that are the reason I will get shit from people for “wasting my money” on supps.[/quote]

totally 2nd that dude

and what’s even worse: instead of investigating that Patel cunt’s ass based on the pretty much crystal clear evidence showing that he is a fraud, the FDA guy is like “uhm, I’d like to bust him but we dont have regulatory authority…”
I mean WTF? its a $27B+ industry…granted, its a piddly amount compared to our fucking huge federal deficit but still - the agency regulating our food and our medicines should have sufficient authority & staff (way more than the 22 “cant do shit” assholes currently employed in their supps division) to crack down on frauds like Patel…
[/quote]

Bro that Patel guy is the most calm person ive seen who has been clearly caught being a scumbag. The FDA sucks in every aspect. They allow drugs to be given to people as long as there are 3 studies that prove it is more effective than a placebo (meanwhile 1000 tests found no effect), only banning a supplement after it has negatively impacted who knows how many people,but god forbid you sell raw milk they will put you in jail…

[quote]MODOK wrote:
If the FDA gets regulatory control over supplements, say goodbye to 90% of your supplements, including Biotest in all likely hood. [/quote]

I try explaining this to friends every time they claim that FDA should have more control (as in regulate it like a pharma company). I ask them how a company can spend hundreds of millions of dollars to run clinical trials on something they can’t patent and expect to stay in business. Won’t happen.

[quote]Bonesaw93 wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:
If the FDA gets regulatory control over supplements, say goodbye to 90% of your supplements, including Biotest in all likely hood. [/quote]

I try explaining this to friends every time they claim that FDA should have more control (as in regulate it like a pharma company). I ask them how a company can spend hundreds of millions of dollars to run clinical trials on something they can’t patent and expect to stay in business. Won’t happen.
[/quote]

Supps aren’t regulated as strictly as drugs because drugs are - in many cases - far more dangerous. Is that too subtle a point for the avg person?

These “exposes” of supps in MSM really piss me off; where are the Dateline and 60 Minutes exposes of all the pharma companies well-documented scientific fraud? The FDA says “oh, now that the public has found out your drug doesn’t work and damages people for life, we’re going to make you withdraw it… but not until after you’ve made at least a billion $ profit he he.”

[quote]MODOK wrote:
If the FDA gets regulatory control over supplements, say goodbye to 90% of your supplements, including Biotest in all likely hood. [/quote]

I wonder if that would be a good thing or a bad thing? On one hand there would be no supplements (obviously) or on the other that money could be spent on better foods: Omega 3 Eggs, Grass fed beef etc.

[quote]Bonesaw93 wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:
If the FDA gets regulatory control over supplements, say goodbye to 90% of your supplements, including Biotest in all likely hood. [/quote]

I try explaining this to friends every time they claim that FDA should have more control (as in regulate it like a pharma company). I ask them how a company can spend hundreds of millions of dollars to run clinical trials on something they can’t patent and expect to stay in business. Won’t happen.
[/quote]

Maybe…but what I meant is not FDA regulating supps as in requiring clinical trials from every supp makers for every one of their products.
What I’d like to see is the FDA checking those so-called “labs” that are certifying the safety of the ingredients of supps to make sure that the test results they put out are:
a. based on actual tests (doubt that Patel shit even conducted a single test - he just faked the test result documents…)
b. honest/correct/reflective of the actual ingredients in a supp
FDA could do this by reviewing/certifying these labs instead of going after the supp makers themselves
So, again, I dont want the FDA to poke their nose into every supp maker’s product line unless they have a minimally invasive review process that puts as little as possible financial strain on these supp makers while really improving safety - very doubtful that the govt. will come up with such a process…