Better to Bulk or Strengthen First?

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Why in the world are you only aiming to gain 10 pounds? you’re 135 dude, start eating.[/quote]

this

a 10 lb weight gain over a year without steroids? lol. maybe if you were an advanced lifter, that would be tough. not at your stage of development though.

also, I must have used a TON of gear to get from 170 to 205 in six months…

dude, you need to lift heavy to tell your body where to put those big meals you should be eating.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Why in the world are you only aiming to gain 10 pounds? you’re 135 dude, start eating.[/quote]

I’m talking 10 pounds lean muscle, doesnt include total weight gain. And thank you for the articles, I’m going to start reading and invest in the 5/3/1 book

[quote]dreadlocks1221 wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

I’m talking 10 pounds lean muscle, doesnt include total weight gain. And thank you for the articles, I’m going to start reading and invest in the 5/3/1 book[/quote]

10 pounds of lean muscle at your current development will be easy to attain. You also will probably not be satisfied weighing 145 pounds.

This may sound like a stupid question, but why is it easier to build muscle as a beginner than when you are advanced? It would seem like the other way around

newb gains - sudden, unexpected and unknown stimulus to the body.

you dont need to think about steriods, ever. you could double your bodyweight without ever seeing a needle

I guess my other question is, when planning a routine, which is more effective: Training multiple sets of the same exercise or single sets of different exercise (as long as the target muscle and intensity are the same). I.E. better to do 2 sets of triceps extensions or 1 set of extensions and 1 set of dips. or another example would be 2 sets of pulldowns/pullups or 1 set of that and then 1 set of rows?

[quote]dreadlocks1221 wrote:
I guess my other question is, when planning a routine, which is more effective: Training multiple sets of the same exercise or single sets of different exercise (as long as the target muscle and intensity are the same). I.E. better to do 2 sets of triceps extensions or 1 set of extensions and 1 set of dips. or another example would be 2 sets of pulldowns/pullups or 1 set of that and then 1 set of rows?[/quote]

Find a well known, effective program that is already written for you and follow it exactly. This way you don’t have to worry about things like this.