T Nation

Better Off Doing Dumbbell Squats?

If the only squat machine i have access to is the smith machine, am i just better off doing dumbbell squats?

Yes

Also, you may be able to clean the barbell for front squats, being you use less weight.

and hack squats and lunges, and step up, and the leg press, and the smith really the prob is the high increase in injury.

Phill

I’m really trying to increase vertical leap, so Dumbbell squats would help since i dont have access to a regular squat bar?

[quote]AKahan wrote:
I’m really trying to increase vertical leap, so Dumbbell squats would help since i dont have access to a regular squat bar?[/quote]

Probably better to do explosive lifts like cleans/snatches. The problem with doing dumbbell squats is that your grip will be fried before they have any serious effect on your legs.

When I was in college, I ran into the same problem. I found that front squats and overhead squats were both good choices.

To further work my legs (especially after how much I could clean limited my progress in front squats), I also used lunges and other single leg exercises (if you can do pistols you’ll be jumping higher in no time).