Better Forearm Exercise?

[quote]E-man wrote:
Barbell behind back wrist rolls, standing extensor rolls and barbell flexor rolls.[/quote]

These are some of the secrets of top rockclimbers, who have awesome forearms, esp in relation to the scrawniness of the rest of their bodies.

BTW, top rockclimbers do the barbell flexor rolls with 1.5 times bodyweight.

I thought the best fore-arm exercise was jacking off.

A lot of people have mentioned deadlifting for the forearms. When I deadlift, I can hardly hold the bar without straps when I’m upwards of 315…what can I do to get to the point where I don’t need the straps??

Thanks All

Use a fat bar.

[quote]cardinal25 wrote:
A lot of people have mentioned deadlifting for the forearms. When I deadlift, I can hardly hold the bar without straps when I’m upwards of 315…what can I do to get to the point where I don’t need the straps??

Thanks All[/quote]

Try some heavy dumbell deadlifts for a while instead of using a barbell. Its like a deadlift and farmer’s walk in one, worked well for me.

I like reverse curls with a 2" bar.

Those are acutally tumors in your arm, and your speech impediment was caused by a stroke you had years ago. Seriously, how did you not think something was wrong? People don’t look like that!

[quote]GribGrob wrote:
Magarhe wrote:
TheSofaKing wrote:
Get a Formulator.

/www.functionalhandstrength.com/formulator.html

Does this formulator work / is it any good ???

YES! , it works but it’s fairly expensive.[/quote]

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
GribGrob wrote:
Magarhe wrote:
TheSofaKing wrote:
Get a Formulator.

www.functionalhandstrength.com/formulator.html

Does this formulator work / is it any good ???

YES! , it works but it’s fairly expensive.

Aha then I will make one myself.[/quote]

Surely you can’t make one for less than $169.99! I mean, there’s so much metal, and all those technical shapes, and… I’m just skeptical, man.

But let us know, cos the idea behind the formulator is a good one.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
E-man wrote:
Barbell behind back wrist rolls, standing extensor rolls and barbell flexor rolls.

These are some of the secrets of top rockclimbers, who have awesome forearms, esp in relation to the scrawniness of the rest of their bodies.

BTW, top rockclimbers do the barbell flexor rolls with 1.5 times bodyweight.[/quote]

What are barbell flexor rolls? googled them but the only result was this thread. Anyone got a description or pic/vid? Or perhaps just another name for them?

[quote]cardinal25 wrote:
A lot of people have mentioned deadlifting for the forearms. When I deadlift, I can hardly hold the bar without straps when I’m upwards of 315…what can I do to get to the point where I don’t need the straps??[/quote]

Do’t do forearm work on the alternate days. If you do direct forearm work, do it after the DLs on the same day. Leave any grip-intensive work off your other days to give them time to rest.

Grip strength is great, but will only lend some size to your forearms since it’s 95% static.

You MUST have something with squeeze and release to get them growing.

I know I went in about 3 different directions there — make sense?

Try soaking a beach towel, fold it in half, and then wring it out. Get every bit of the water. Don’t forget to twist your hand both directions. Cheap & effective.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Surely you can’t make one for less than $169.99! I mean, there’s so much metal, and all those technical shapes, and… I’m just skeptical, man.

But let us know, cos the idea behind the formulator is a good one.[/quote]

I made a similar device out of pvc pipe. Cost less then $30 and works very well.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
sharetrader wrote:
E-man wrote:
Barbell behind back wrist rolls, standing extensor rolls and barbell flexor rolls.

BTW, top rockclimbers do the barbell flexor rolls with 1.5 times bodyweight.

What are barbell flexor rolls? googled them but the only result was this thread. Anyone got a description or pic/vid? Or perhaps just another name for them?[/quote]

Pick up a barbell as you would for curls. Use a bar with rotating sleeves. Open your palms and let the bar roll down until it almost falls out of your fingers. Bring the bar up using your finger strength (don’t flex the wrist). It is a good idea to do these in a power rack! Low reps (no more than 6) is a good idea if you are aiming for the 150% BW.

[quote]Go heavy fool wrote:
those guys are right about the deadlifts. Forearms will actualy grow bigger by gripping rather than curling. i use the zottman and the reverse curls for extra direct work though, but I want popeye size forearms.

But, indirect forearm work in a deadlift seems to be the best. I would say the reverse curls might be better simply because its less direct and more of a gripping exercise, besides you can use more weight.

heavy gripping even heavy static holds seem to work better than the direct forearm curls[/quote]

I would like to add to this concept of gripping. From a functional standpoint, the forearms were designed to do just that primarily. Also, rotating the wrist and lifting the arm.

For full forearm development, it would be wise to employ many exercises to reach your maximum potential for growth.

I would use this order of importance if you’re looking for size though.

1- Heavy gripping & static holds.
2- Arm curls and reverse curls.
3- Wrist and finger rolls & rotation.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
cardinal25 wrote:

Thanks All

Try some heavy dumbell deadlifts for a while instead of using a barbell. Its like a deadlift and farmer’s walk in one, worked well for me.[/quote]

Gotcha, I’ll give it a try on my next leg day.

[quote]simon-hecubus wrote:
cardinal25 wrote:

Do’t do forearm work on the alternate days. If you do direct forearm work, do it after the DLs on the same day. Leave any grip-intensive work off your other days to give them time to rest.

Grip strength is great, but will only lend some size to your forearms since it’s 95% static.

You MUST have something with squeeze and release to get them growing.

I know I went in about 3 different directions there — make sense?[/quote]

Definitely makes sense, I have been doing wrist curls at the end of my leg days. Time to try something new.

I use hammer curls out of the 2 and my forearms responded so well to this exercise.

[quote]TheSofaKing wrote:
Miserere wrote:

But let us know, cos the idea behind the formulator is a good one.

I made a similar device out of pvc pipe. Cost less then $30 and works very well.

[/quote]

my thoughts exactly. or wood. it doesn’t have to be metal.

I think pvc is great. can do so much with it.

pvc pipe + screw lock dumbell
= a dumbell loaded on one side only for wrist rotations. (use the other nut to screw the pvc against the plates).

why has no one said gain weight??

cmon man growth only comes with more food,