T Nation

Better Digestion

Hey all. As we should know, the name of the game is not what we eat, rather what we can digest and use to grow. It’s no good eating all that fillet steak if it just comes out the other end :slight_smile:

My ‘eating education’ at my mum’s house pretty much ended with ‘elbows off the table!’, ‘don’t talk with your mouth full!’ and ‘finish your plate!’

I’ve had recurrent issues with bloating/digestion for pretty much always, so thought I’d share some stuff that helped me digest better. If I missed anything, please be a mate and add it here!

LOW/NO-COST DIGESTIVE STRATEGIES
Food temperature. Seldom recommended, however drinking/eating tepid liquid/food and avoiding icy things has made a HUGE difference.

Chop up food into tiny pieces before cooking: think asian cuisine, stir frys. Mechanical breakdown before it even enters your mouth.
Chew food more. No, more. And some more :slight_smile: Really helps a lot with bloating/fullness in lower abdomen.

Digestive aids: chew fennel seeds. Great for bloating. Peppermint tea is great after a meal, and semi-sweet if you’re dieting. Ginger: can chew if you’re hardcore, and/or chop into tiny pieces and boil on the hob, then drink the liquid and chew the ‘pulp’.

Random: I also feel like yogic twists, corkscrew situps on a decline situp bench, stomach vacuums and strict lower ab work helps with physically expelling wind and making you feel lighter

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
Chew food more. No, more. And some more :slight_smile: Really helps a lot with bloating/fullness in lower abdomen.[/quote]
Thorough chewing is one of those smack-my-head-I-shoulda-been-doing-this-forever things. I feel noticeably more comfortable after meals when I chew “excessively.”

Ginger has always been good for calming an upset stomach, but for enhanced digestion, I’ve always liked papaya (papain) and pineapple (bromelain). Either in chewable tablet form or as a small serving of whole fruit immediately after a meal. One trick I break out at all you can eat buffets is to grab one scoop of diced pineapple everytime I fill a plate, making it easier to pound down even more.

I’ve also heard a few people recommend drinking little to no liquids during meals to avoid diluting digestive enzymes, but that seems unnecessary to me.

Probiotics are IMO in the same tier as fish oil, ZMA, and vitamin D. I think it’s that important and the difference is night and day when I forget to take my probiotics. Poliquin’s probiotic is good, my favorite is probably Metagenics. My farts and poop barely stink, my stools are solid & log-like and the clean-up is minimal, and my stomach always feels fantastic.

Sry I went kind of elitist on my poop superiority but I just really like probiotic supplementation.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Probiotics are IMO in the same tier as fish oil, ZMA, and vitamin D. I think it’s that important and the difference is night and day when I forget to take my probiotics. Poliquin’s probiotic is good, my favorite is probably Metagenics. My farts and poop barely stink, my stools are solid & log-like and the clean-up is minimal, and my stomach always feels fantastic.

Sry I went kind of elitist on my poop superiority but I just really like probiotic supplementation.[/quote]

glutamine too. Starting every day with some probiotics and glutamine changed my life. I am not exaggerating.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

Sry I went kind of elitist on my poop superiority but I just really like probiotic supplementation.[/quote]
x2

I eat some probiotic every day and my stomach is much happier. Kiefer, sauerkraut, yogurt, est.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

Do you order your Metagenics online? Is it shipped temperature controlled? Or would it be best to find a local supplier?

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

Do you order your Metagenics online? Is it shipped temperature controlled? Or would it be best to find a local supplier?[/quote]
I get mine online. It arrives in some kind of cool wrapping so it is not room temperature.

rds how much and what did you notice with glutamine.I eat sauerkraut and chew ginger before dinner.I’ve read glutamine is good for gut health.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Ginger has always been good for calming an upset stomach, but for enhanced digestion, I’ve always liked papaya (papain) and pineapple (bromelain). Either in chewable tablet form or as a small serving of whole fruit immediately after a meal. One trick I break out at all you can eat buffets is to grab one scoop of diced pineapple everytime I fill a plate, making it easier to pound down even more.
[/quote]

That pineapple trick definitely works amazingly well. I have always had a terrible appetite but if I eat pineapple with a meal I can pound down twice as much chicken easily. It is a god send.

Fresh cut does seem to work better for me though than canned.

[quote]jppage wrote:
rds how much and what did you notice with glutamine.I eat sauerkraut and chew ginger before dinner.I’ve read glutamine is good for gut health.[/quote]

check out the gut health thread over at Precision Nutrition. There’s a protocol for getting your gut healthy again. If I remember rightly it’s

80g of glutamine for 3 days
Then you add 2 weeks of probiotics with the glutamine

I did the protocol and it’s amazing. You go through a ton of glutamine at first. Now I just have 20g in the morning every day with a couple of probiotics.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]jppage wrote:
rds how much and what did you notice with glutamine.I eat sauerkraut and chew ginger before dinner.I’ve read glutamine is good for gut health.[/quote]

check out the gut health thread over at Precision Nutrition. There’s a protocol for getting your gut healthy again. If I remember rightly it’s

80g of glutamine for 3 days
Then you add 2 weeks of probiotics with the glutamine

I did the protocol and it’s amazing. You go through a ton of glutamine at first. Now I just have 20g in the morning every day with a couple of probiotics.[/quote]
Thanks for that rds…