T Nation

Better Cut For Artists?

I plan to buy a couple of albums over the next weeks and am wondering what is, buck for buck, the best way to support the bands?

The total cost should be the same whether I download the album @ 1$ a tune or I buy the CD.

Do the new distribution channels, with their higher margins, pay higher percentages to the artists? Any idea?

Download the CD’s through torrent and send checks to the artist(s).

[quote]R@NE wrote:
Download the CD’s through torrent and send checks to the artist(s).[/quote]

Good and original idea. I would gladly do it, although I do not recall having seen a ‘Donate’ button on band websites.

Having heard that bands make more money on tour items than via CD sales, this could be an alternative cash flow source. But I suspect pride must stop the bands from asking for donations.

[quote]MrChill wrote:
R@NE wrote:
Download the CD’s through torrent and send checks to the artist(s).

Good and original idea. I would gladly do it, although I do not recall having seen a ‘Donate’ button on band websites.

Having heard that bands make more money on tour items than via CD sales, this could be an alternative cash flow source. But I suspect pride must stop the bands from asking for donations.[/quote]

The standard a few years ago was less than 8% of record sales. Out of that, the artist is who pays for advertising, videos, promotions, photo-shoots, clothing, hotel rooms, and studio time. The artist doesn’t get paid much at all from record sales. They make most of their money on tour meaning the best way to support your band…is to get people to buy tickets to their concerts.

This is one reason I find rap music videos showing expensive cars and houses all done for a brand new artist to be ridiculous. The Record company may be able to afford all of that after one album, but the artist is renting all of that crap and is who will have to pay for it.

Like you said, though, it is all about image.

I personally was unaware that you could send personal checks directly to an artist without the record company somehow controlling it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I personally was unaware that you could send personal checks directly to an artist without the record company somehow controlling it.[/quote]

That could be an experiment. Does it survive filtering by fan club management? Does it get deposited as intended (or does it go through ‘creative’ banking processes)? Or does it simply never gets cashed in (and therefore void after 6 months)?