Better Chest Training?

I’ve developed pretty large shoulders over my time while training and because of that I belive it hinders my progress with my chest.

My Delts and Tris take over my bench and I rarely feel it in the chest after a chest work out.

What would be a good subsitute for flat bench press?

• Palms in DB bench
  • fly movements (cables, dumbells)

-some dif machines will help isolate the chest

• I have never done these but TC and i think THIB wrote about using the smith machine to bench to your neck, as a chest movement
  • Palms in DB bench
  • fly movements (cables, dumbells)

-some dif machines will help isolate the chest

• I have never done these but TC and i think THIB wrote about using the smith machine to bench to your neck, as a chest movement

Take a wider grip on the bar.

I have a similar problem, but for me, it’s mainly tris. They’re very overpowering, and take over just about ALL of my pushing exercises, including, very surprisingly, gironda dips! Here’s what worked for me:

Wide-grip press to neck or upper chest! Decline or flat. Wide-grip to upper chest works good too… Very intense.

You could also pre-exhaust your chest with flyes.

i do incline dumbbell presses first then do flat but it still feels like its more shoulders… Maybe the wider grip will help…

Incline barbell/hammer strength, you really have to focus on using your chest though.

I was just looking at the gironda dips u mention G87 and they look pretty challenging… Which grip did you use? You didnt feel them at all in the chest?

Use the hammer strength machine and do not be afraid to go really heavy.

[quote]Heavy-Duty wrote:
Use the hammer strength machine and do not be afraid to go really heavy.[/quote]

Wont my shoulders and tris take over since its basicly the same as a bench?

[quote]Mopar44o wrote:
Heavy-Duty wrote:
Use the hammer strength machine and do not be afraid to go really heavy.

Wont my shoulders and tris take over since its basicly the same as a bench?[/quote]

Even though this is very close to the bench the angle of the maching allows you to isolate the chest more without having to worry about balancing the bar in the traditional bench press. It also allows you to really go all out in using heavy weight since you do not have to be concerned about getting trapped under bar.This is an exercise I used at one point in my training and I found being able to use heavy weight on the machine to increase my chest size.I not saying that this is the only exercise you should use, but I do suggest using it since this is only one of the few machines that acutually can be used to get big. As with all machines I always see how my joints respond to the machine becuase there are a lot of machinces that put the body in an unnatural postion causing joint pain. Any thing in the gym that causes pain I stop immediately and choose a more joint friendly exercise.

I would even do partial reps with the hammer strength machine, stopping where the other parts start to take over. Knock out two or three sets of as many chest partials as you can.

1. check your form. Are you squeezing your shoulder blades back and down, big chest, tight arch, elbows semi tucked during your sets of chest pressing exercises? Or are you allowing the shoulders to round forward and come off the bench?

Most people I see who have a hard time hitting their chest on pressing exercises are doing the later. A simple adjustment of form usually helps them feel it in the chest much more.

1. Do as TrainerinDC said and only do the bottom portion of your chest pressing exercises. In other words, from the bar touching the chest up maybe 2/3 of the way until you feel your shoulders/triceps start to take over (do not lock out).

2. Try DB’s, they allow for a more natural ROM, and you can focus on squeezing the bells/chest together as you press. Good for developing a mind/muscle connection.

3. Try Pre-exhaust. Do a fly/peck deck movement first to get some blood into the pecs and help you really feel them working; then go straight to your pressing exercise. This should again help you learn to feel your chest working during presses.