Beta Alanine Neurotoxic?

Just came across this http://grande.nal.usda.gov/ibids/index.php?mode2=detail&origin=ibids_references&therow=102021

Not quite sure what to think of it since it’s an animal study…

Not sure what the exact dosage “5% of drinking water” is, so that’s up in the air for now.

Guess I better keep on having energy drinks (2g taurine) with beta-alanine before exercise :slight_smile:

And also, I have no clue how cat metabolism differs from human metabolism. So can’t help there.

I forget the exact details. I think cats don’t make their own Taurine and Beta Alanine compeats for absorption… Something like that.

As I remember humans do so it shouldn’t be a problem. Probably.

Had another look at this I’m pretty sure I am right. Basically the study doesn’t apply to humans…

The “5% of drinking water” means, I believe, 5% by mass. So 5g of beta-alanine was dissolved in 100g of water.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
The “5% of drinking water” means, I believe, 5% by mass. So 5g of beta-alanine was dissolved in 100g of water. [/quote]

That much I knew, but did not know how much water, thus beta-alanine, the subjects consumed.

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
The “5% of drinking water” means, I believe, 5% by mass. So 5g of beta-alanine was dissolved in 100g of water. [/quote]

That much I knew, but did not know how much water, thus beta-alanine, the subjects consumed.[/quote]

100g of water is very little. But then again, cats are also relatively small. If a cat drank 100g of water per day, that would mean 5g of beta-alanine, which seems like a lot considering the cat’s weight.

OP - This is just my $0.02, but the study is from 1996. Do you think Biotest would have spent time and money on R&D for a nerutoxic substance?