T Nation

Beta Alanine in Surge Workout Fuel

I doubt anyone can answer this other than Dr. Z or TC, but is the form of Beta Alanine in Surge Workout Fuel “time-release” as in the Beta-7? I get no paraethesia (tingly feeling) from Beta-7. That’s the main reason I use Beta-7 over other forms of Beta Alanine - as typical beta alanine would require several small doses per day to avoid the tingly feeling (which is a sign of some king over over saturation/stimulation or something, blah blah blah).

I doubt it is the same form, because I don’t know of any way to produce a sustained release liquid form of beta alanine. Does anyone know if:

A) the form of Beta Alanine in Surge Workout Fuel “time-release” as in the Beta-7?

B) there is any known sustained release liquid form of beta alanine that i can buy?

Thanks,
BT

I can’t answer your question, but I can say I’ve never experienced paresthesia with Surge Workout Fuel although I have with other non-time-release Beta alanine products.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
I can’t answer your question, but I can say I’ve never experienced paresthesia with Surge Workout Fuel although I have with other non-time-release Beta alanine products.[/quote]

From what I’ve read, beta alanine generally causes parathesia (depending on individual tolerances) at dosages over 10 mg/kg (equivalent to 1 gram of beta alanine for an individual weighing 220 pounds or 100kg). Now the Supplement Facts label on the Surge Workout Fuel reads:

7.2g of MAG-10 Amino Primer:
Citrulline Malate, L-Leucine, Beta Alanine

An effective dose of beta alanine is roughly 6 grams per day. As the label on Surge Workout Fuel does not expressely state the form or dose of beta alanine in the product, I can only assume that it’s either;

A) Too low of a dose of beta alanine to be close to effective (1 gram or less), & the standard non time released form,

or,
B) Some fancy form of sustained release beta alanine that they have chosen not to disclose on the package.

I’d have to say that it’s most likely that the amount of beta alanine in the product is less than 1 gram as I’ve experienced parathesia from beta alanine before, but not from Surge Workout fuel.

I know Biotest products are designed to be taken together, but IMO the package should read that “To experience the full effects of beta alanine and for optimal results, take concurrently with Beta-7.”

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
I can’t answer your question, but I can say I’ve never experienced paresthesia with Surge Workout Fuel although I have with other non-time-release Beta alanine products.

From what I’ve read, beta alanine generally causes parathesia (depending on individual tolerances) at dosages over 10 mg/kg (equivalent to 1 gram of beta alanine for an individual weighing 220 pounds or 100kg). Now the Supplement Facts label on the Surge Workout Fuel reads:

7.2g of MAG-10 Amino Primer:
Citrulline Malate, L-Leucine, Beta Alanine

An effective dose of beta alanine is roughly 6 grams per day. As the label on Surge Workout Fuel does not expressely state the form or dose of beta alanine in the product, I can only assume that it’s either;

A) Too low of a dose of beta alanine to be close to effective (1 gram or less), & the standard non time released form,

or,
B) Some fancy form of sustained release beta alanine that they have chosen not to disclose on the package.

I’d have to say that it’s most likely that the amount of beta alanine in the product is less than 1 gram as I’ve experienced parathesia from beta alanine before, but not from Surge Workout fuel.

I know Biotest products are designed to be taken together, but IMO the package should read that “To experience the full effects of beta alanine and for optimal results, take concurrently with Beta-7.”
[/quote]

Based off the effect I get from Surge Workout Fuel, I’d bet that it has far more Beta alanine than what you’ve proposed.

I’ve experiment with quite a few different Beta alanine products before settling on Beta-7, and one of the effects I get from Surge Workout Fuel feels identical.

I guess you could experiment with combining Surge Workout Fuel with Beta-7 and see if you get an even better effect.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:

I know Biotest products are designed to be taken together, but IMO the package should read that “To experience the full effects of beta alanine and for optimal results, take concurrently with Beta-7.”
[/quote]

Surge Workout Fuel is not really being marketed as a beta alanine product. I see no reason to include this in the package. Following this logic they might aswell put, it is optimal taking with Surge Recovery, creatine etc…

I’ve never tried a Beta alanine product but Surge Workout Fuel works excellent without any additional beta alanine. To state that stacking is optimal could be misinterpreted as it not affective without it, this will put off many.

I know Surge Workout Fuel is effective. Don’t debate that it has a positive effect on performance.

[quote]redgladiator wrote:
Surge Workout Fuel is not really being marketed as a beta alanine product. I see no reason to include this in the package. Following this logic they might aswell put, it is optimal taking with Surge Recovery, creatine etc…[/quote]

Surge Workout Fuel is not really being marketed as a beta alanine product? It’s one of the primary ingredients. Thing is, there’s 7.2 g of the MAG-10 primer in there and beta alanine is listed last on the list behind citrulline malate and leucine. So even if they are all in almost equal proportion, there can only be 2.4 grams. That’s a generous approximation, and would still be on the conservative end of an effective dose.

[quote]I’ve never tried a Beta alanine product but Surge Workout Fuel works excellent without any additional beta alanine. To state that stacking is optimal could be misinterpreted as it not affective without it, this will put off many.
[/quote]

Not to be an ass, but if you’ve “never tried a beta alanine product”, then how do you know that “Surge Workout Fuel works excellent without any additional beta alanine?”

I take both a seperate beta alanine supplement along with Surge Workout Fuel btw.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
BulletproofTiger wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
I can’t answer your question, but I can say I’ve never experienced paresthesia with Surge Workout Fuel although I have with other non-time-release Beta alanine products.

From what I’ve read, beta alanine generally causes parathesia (depending on individual tolerances) at dosages over 10 mg/kg (equivalent to 1 gram of beta alanine for an individual weighing 220 pounds or 100kg). Now the Supplement Facts label on the Surge Workout Fuel reads:

7.2g of MAG-10 Amino Primer:
Citrulline Malate, L-Leucine, Beta Alanine

An effective dose of beta alanine is roughly 6 grams per day. As the label on Surge Workout Fuel does not expressely state the form or dose of beta alanine in the product, I can only assume that it’s either;

A) Too low of a dose of beta alanine to be close to effective (1 gram or less), & the standard non time released form,

or,
B) Some fancy form of sustained release beta alanine that they have chosen not to disclose on the package.

I’d have to say that it’s most likely that the amount of beta alanine in the product is less than 1 gram as I’ve experienced parathesia from beta alanine before, but not from Surge Workout fuel.

I know Biotest products are designed to be taken together, but IMO the package should read that “To experience the full effects of beta alanine and for optimal results, take concurrently with Beta-7.”

Based off the effect I get from Surge Workout Fuel, I’d bet that it has far more Beta alanine than what you’ve proposed.

I’ve experiment with quite a few different Beta alanine products before settling on Beta-7, and one of the effects I get from Surge Workout Fuel feels identical.

I guess you could experiment with combining Surge Workout Fuel with Beta-7 and see if you get an even better effect.[/quote]

Yeah I do, and I get a much better result. IMO though, each scoop of Surge Workout Fuel has less than 2 grams, prob more like 1 gram of beta alanine…

I’m sure the citrulline malate has a huge effect on the performance results.

The whole reason for this post is that there is no form of non-capsule time released beta alanine on the market. All other forms cause parathesia from personal experience. Therefore the amount in Surge Workout Fuel must be around a gram.

In other words, you’re just guessing.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Not to be an ass, but if you’ve “never tried a beta alanine product”, then how do you know that “Surge Workout Fuel works excellent without any additional beta alanine?”
[/quote]

I’ve had been making more gains in 3 weeks of SWF than the past 9 months. This is without any additional beta alanine, so I personally know first hand it is very affective without it. Sure it makes sense that additional beta alanine would be benificial but it is certainly not essential.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:

Surge Workout Fuel is not really being marketed as a beta alanine product? It’s one of the primary ingredients. .[/quote]

You say the amount they use is not affective?
You imply they might as well not include any?
In fact they can take out all of it and people wouldn’t notice??

Then how does it work if the “PRIMARY” ingredient is offering too low a dose to be affective?

I get parathesia (jitters) off just one gram of regular beta alanine powder. I get no parathesia from a serving of Surge Workout Fuel. Do you have any explanation?

each scoop(MAG-10 amino primer)has
: 600 mg Beta-alanine
3g leucine
3,6g citrulline malate

[quote]Charles3264 wrote:
each scoop(MAG-10 amino primer)has
: 600 mg Beta-alanine
3g leucine
3,6g citrulline malate [/quote]

Where did you get those numbers from?

OP

A. If your not getting parathesia with SWF; who cares? (unless you want parathesia)

B. Do some research online if no one pops up right away w/ an answer. I don’t have one.

I get mine from TP and take 600mg x3 a day and probably 1/3 of the time notice MINIMAL parathesia.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Charles3264 wrote:
each scoop(MAG-10 amino primer)has
: 600 mg Beta-alanine
3g leucine
3,6g citrulline malate

Where did you get those numbers from?[/quote]

on this site on the forum talking about the Surge Workout Fuel experience…I think its Mod Brian or Bill Roberts who gave the infos…

[quote]Charles3264 wrote:
BulletproofTiger wrote:
Charles3264 wrote:
each scoop(MAG-10 amino primer)has
: 600 mg Beta-alanine
3g leucine
3,6g citrulline malate

Where did you get those numbers from?

on this site on the forum talking about the Surge Workout Fuel experience…I think its Mod Brian or Bill Roberts who gave the infos…
[/quote]

I hate to bother you to provide a link to that, but would you please? It’s been nowhere that I’ve seen. Thanks.

BT

PS The site search feature sucks (not taking anything away from the IT folks at T-Nation as I know nothing about how to improve it, or if it’s even possible). I’ve grown accustomed to using google advanced search and entering T-Nation.com as the site to search.

musta missed this thread cuz lately ive been wondering this myself.

Whether the beta alanine has a major role in SWF or not, it IS in there. And I was always under the impression that in order to load BA into the muscle, to get a proper effect, it was something you need to take everyday(whether you work out or not).

Maybe Mod Brian could comment(and possibly correct me).

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
musta missed this thread cuz lately ive been wondering this myself.

Whether the beta alanine has a major role in SWF or not, it IS in there. And I was always under the impression that in order to load BA into the muscle, to get a proper effect, it was something you need to take everyday(whether you work out or not).

Maybe Mod Brian could comment(and possibly correct me).[/quote]

I don’t think Mod Brian is going to deviate from what the package says. He can’t go against what the Biotest recomendation is.

The research done on performance enhancement uses ~6 gram per day for ~30 days (everyday in several split up doses). IMHO, Surge Workout Fuel can’t be proactically used to achieve this dosage. It would be most efficacious to also use another BA supplement like Beta-7 (2 pills 3X daily = 6 grams).

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
musta missed this thread cuz lately ive been wondering this myself.

Whether the beta alanine has a major role in SWF or not, it IS in there. And I was always under the impression that in order to load BA into the muscle, to get a proper effect, it was something you need to take everyday(whether you work out or not).

Maybe Mod Brian could comment(and possibly correct me).[/quote]

Surge Workout Fuel is designed to fuel one’s training efforts. It is not designed to load substrates such as Beta-alanine outside the training window.

That said, most of the athletes with whom we’ve worked with do see an acute positive effect from using Beta-alanine, in the form of Surge Workout Fuel, only before and during training. Additional Beta-alanine at other times of the day has an additive effect and is desirable for those who want to maximize their training efforts.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Charles3264 wrote:
BulletproofTiger wrote:
Charles3264 wrote:
each scoop(MAG-10 amino primer)has
: 600 mg Beta-alanine
3g leucine
3,6g citrulline malate

Where did you get those numbers from?

on this site on the forum talking about the Surge Workout Fuel experience…I think its Mod Brian or Bill Roberts who gave the infos…

I hate to bother you to provide a link to that, but would you please? It’s been nowhere that I’ve seen. Thanks.
[/quote]
I found it in this topic :
The 3rd Law of Muscle
I dont remember the page…sorry…