T Nation

Beta Alanine + Histidine = Worth it?

Research studies can be important for learning about new things!

I recently became curious about whether or not I should be including Histidine in my pre workout mix. Histidine combines with Beta Alanine to form Carnosine, which is responsible for de-acidifying the acidic environment in a working muscle.

In short, carnosine helps to remove the substance that causes the burn during a working set. The burn decreases performance, and therefore, carnosine helps to increase muscular performance.

To me, it seemed logical that Beta Alanine should not be taken alone. It seemed logical that Histidine should be mixed with Beta Alanine for it to be most effective. Makes sense, right?

Well, it turns out that published research studies have been done on this topic!

The studies show that supplementation with Beta Alanine DOES significantly increase Carnosine concentration within muscle.

The studies also show that supplementation with Histidine DID NOT significantly increase Carnosine concentration.

To sum this up, Beta Alanine supplementation is important, but Histidine supplementation is not necessary. If you’re ingesting protein from food sources, Histidine is already present within your body.

This is a pretty interesting topic, and I would encourage you to read the abstract of this study to gain more Beta Alanine and Histidine related knowledge: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10659307

Thanks for your time, and I hope you’ve learned something new,

Ryan

Never taken histidine but beta alanine is the real deal

It depends on what your goal is here…

If you’re looking to build muscle or lose fat, I would suggest against Beta-alanine + histadine. As you said, this neutralizes the acidic environment and thus would lower lactate levels and subsequently GH and IGF-1.

However, if you’re looking to get strong, this combo would suit you well, for the reasons you’ve listed.

I’ve also seen good research on the combo of beta-alanine and creatine…

[quote]hungryone wrote:

If you’re looking to build muscle or lose fat, I would suggest against Beta-alanine + histadine. As you said, this neutralizes the acidic environment and thus would lower lactate levels and subsequently GH and IGF-1.

However, if you’re looking to get strong, this combo would suit you well, for the reasons you’ve listed.

I’ve also seen good research on the combo of beta-alanine and creatine…[/quote]

I’ve been discussing this with a few research study oriented guys. Do you have any links to studies that discuss the relationship between GH, IGF-1, and acidic environments?

Just want you to know that I’m not challenging you, and you bring up a very good point. I want to discuss it with these other guys too, and they’ll ask for studies. Thought you might have some in mind.

Thanks

[quote]2020Wellness wrote:

[quote]hungryone wrote:

I’ve been discussing this with a few research study oriented guys. Do you have any links to studies that discuss the relationship between GH, IGF-1, and acidic environments?

Just want you to know that I’m not challenging you, and you bring up a very good point. I want to discuss it with these other guys too, and they’ll ask for studies. Thought you might have some in mind.

Thanks
[/quote]

This is all very interesting. Please yes keep us updated.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]hungryone wrote:

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

This is the basis of the work of Hala Rambie - I believe this is actually from the 70s.

Basically what he found was that increased levels of blood lactic acid were correlated with increased levels of GH and IGF-1… And as such greater fat burning.

Since beta alanine is basic, it will counter the acidifying effects of these workouts - thus lead to lower GH and IGF-1 production. But as I mentioned, you have the other half of the story - where it works really well for increasing strength levels and work capacity.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any studies off hand that I can reference… But start by looking at some of Rambie’s work.

I have used this combo as part of my pre-workout for about a year. I may cut my histidine in half and see what happens…I certainly have adequate protein intake.

as a side note: I read that supplimenting w/histidine causes the body to expel zinc. Anyone heard or read anything releated?

[quote]hungryone wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]hungryone wrote:

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

This is the basis of the work of Hala Rambie - I believe this is actually from the 70s.

Basically what he found was that increased levels of blood lactic acid were correlated with increased levels of GH and IGF-1… And as such greater fat burning.

Since beta alanine is basic, it will counter the acidifying effects of these workouts - thus lead to lower GH and IGF-1 production. But as I mentioned, you have the other half of the story - where it works really well for increasing strength levels and work capacity.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any studies off hand that I can reference… But start by looking at some of Rambie’s work.

[/quote]

I have to say that IMO, the benefits of BA outweigh any possibility of decreased hormone production as a result of a less acidic environment. I believe that BA is important not only for overall strength increases, but for muscle growth as well. This would also make it beneficial for fat loss, as we all know that the more lean mass a training individual has, the easier it is for them to lean up.

I believe that the mentioned increased in hormones as a result of the acidic environment is negligible. There are plenty of people who grow for low/mid range rep work, which isn’t going to produce a notably acidic environment during their training. In other words, the burn isn’t necessary for growth, and neither is the hormonal increase that may be associated with it…even as a natural.