Best 'Worst' Films

With my first thread in the GAL Forum, the Favourite film thread, picking up speed, it made me think about the other end of the spectrum, and I’d like to propose a counter-debate of sorts.

There are two kinds of worst films, the ones that are so bad they disgust the very essence of your being and you can’t stand to live with having even wanted at one point to see them.

And the best worst films, the kind that are incredibly bad, absolutely nothing about them is good in any sincere way. But they hold your attention and become a staple in your memory for the (better?), whether it be because of how unintentionally hilarious they are in a moment of seriousness and concern, or because the director’s thought process was so bizarre and took the film in such a strange downhill plummet that it flabbergasts you.

I, would like this thread to be in honour of those best worst films, because years I ago I tried the other type of films on a forum, and it came out more depressing than The Smiths if they’d teamed up with The Cure and performed a compilation album, so I’m never treading those waters again.

My choice for this category would be Tommy Wiseau’s The Room. Anyone who’s seen The Room will know how ridiculous it is. I’m sure if we’re picking absolutes I could make the case for a worse film that has far less sense of reality, arguably worse acting, and an even more terrible setting and script, but my choice is not based on the film entirely, but more the director.

I had the pleasure of meeting Tommy Wiseau when he came abroad to premiere his film to foreign audiences and respond to a Q&A not too many years ago. He has this strange Eastern European accent that mixes in with his Louisiana drawl to a produce a speech pattern I have never before come close to seeing. He has a strange face that look like just eyes covered by a mask of melted wax.

He sways in and out of conversation and is eerily socially inept (which has a huge impact on his screenplay) that he maintains a creepiness about him I can’t associate to many other people. His acting in the film is so bad, but passionately bad. Whenever he responds to audience questions and comes face to face with someone who dislikes the film, he has this strange, esoteric, smug look on his face like he understand the film on an entirely different level to anyone else involved.

I am convinced that Tommy Wiseau is an alien sent from a distant planet to harvest our brains through film, and for that reason The Room takes the top spot of Best Worst Films for me.

I was unsure if I should make this thread so close to the last one, but I wanted to get it out of the way while it was still in my head, and while film-talk was still fresh in everyone’s vocabulary.

Again, many thanks in advance for your responses!

Oh god there are so many. Off the top of my head:

Road House

Starship Troopers

Cobra

Deep Blue Sea

Piranha (the old one, not the remake)

Lake Placid

that’s all I can think of just now, but I’m sure more’ll come to me. So-bad-it’s-good is my favourite movie genre

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Oh god there are so many. Off the top of my head:

Road House

Starship Troopers

Cobra

Deep Blue Sea

Piranha (the old one, not the remake)

Lake Placid

that’s all I can think of just now, but I’m sure more’ll come to me. So-bad-it’s-good is my favourite movie genre
[/quote]

I love that you mentioned Road House, “Pain Don’t Hurt” is one of my most quoted lines real life, balled out laughing the first time I heard that.
The pre-production for that film must have been 10% brainstorming and 90% Concentrated Nicaraguan cocaine.

The Expendables. Absolutely horrible in all the worst ways. What made it even worse was that so many people actually liked it. That made me depressed for the future of this country.

The Last Dragon

I fucking love that movie lol. Bruce Leeroy vs the Shogun of Harlem. Not to mention the power of the glow omg.

This is exactly that kind of “Best ‘Worst’ Movie” you’re talking about.

Armageddon.

Skip to 4.40 - 5.22 for the best bit.

“I’ve been drilling holes in the earth for 30 years and I have never, never missed a depth that I have aimed for and by God I am not gonna miss this one!”

Got to be the cheesiest dialogue in cinema history.

[quote]csulli wrote:
The Last Dragon

I fucking love that movie lol. Bruce Leeroy vs the Shogun of Harlem. Not to mention the power of the glow omg.

This is exactly that kind of “Best ‘Worst’ Movie” you’re talking about.[/quote]

That was a great movie! One that left an indelible impact was Dead Alive, the most violent movie ever, yet funny at the same time.

Waterworld

Independence Day

God I love that shitty movie. I always watch it when it’s on TV lol.

oh, and Con Air… yes yes I know, Nicolas Cage :{

Oh oh oh!!! Double Dragon and Mortal Kombat: Annihilatio

I’m gettin’ ideas now

[quote]gregron wrote:
Waterworld[/quote]
Aw yeah

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
Armageddon.

“I’ve been drilling holes in the earth for 30 years and I have never, never missed a depth that I have aimed for and by God I am not gonna miss this one!”

Got to be the cheesiest dialogue in cinema history.[/quote]

Funny thing is this what a real driller would probably say.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
oh, and Con Air… yes yes I know, Nicolas Cage :{[/quote]

x2

Shark Attack 3: Megalodon

This movie is pure unintentional comedic gold.

[quote]50_Caliber wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
The Last Dragon

This is exactly that kind of “Best ‘Worst’ Movie” you’re talking about.[/quote]

That was a great movie! One that left an indelible impact was Dead Alive, the most violent movie ever, yet funny at the same time.
[/quote]

Braindead! (Name changed between New Zealand/Europe and America, it’s habit for me to call it by it’s original name, but I mean Dead Alive, just disclaiming in case of confusion.) I love Peter Jackson’s early low-budget gore-fests, the Kung Fu Priest and Lionel’s uncle are hilarious, if you haven’t you should see Bad Taste, I don’t think it’s as good as Braindead, but still a great gore film.

I haven’t seen The Last Dragon but I’ve heard about it so many times I can’t believe I stayed away this long. Today was Squat day so I’ll see if I can find it now to cheer me up.

[quote]kothreat wrote:

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
Armageddon.

Got to be the cheesiest dialogue in cinema history.[/quote]

Funny thing is this what a real driller would probably say.
[/quote]

Some things like that are considered corny now only because they are being looked at 10-20 years after being made.

Con-Air is super cheesy…but I didn’t hear everyone complaining when it first came out.

Nicolas Cage deserves so much of this thread. For anyone who hasn’t scene Vampire’s Kiss, I suggest not watching this montage, but finding the film itself and watching it whole to see how insane it truly is.

For anyone who has seen Vampire’s Kiss, enjoy! (Apologies if the video white boxes or just shows a link, I’m trying to attach from Youtube for the first time on this forum and I’m not quite sure how it works yet.)

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
oh, and Con Air… yes yes I know, Nicolas Cage :{[/quote]

x2

[/quote]

YAAA I loved conair. And all Nic cage action movies of that time.
THe rock, face off, etc…

Why couldn’t he just put the bunny back in the box?

WHAT ABOUT JOHN MALCOVICH (SP?) I was very sexually atrracted to him then, well, I probably still would be if I watched that movie again…

THAT WAS GOOD MOVIE SHIT, YO!!!

The final sacrifice as done by MST3k