T Nation

Best Workout for Natural Lifters - Less Front Delt and Biceps Isolation

Hi Coach

I noticed that on workout 3, 4, 5, and 6 there are 2 exercises targeting the same minor muscle group (front delts, biceps, chest, and biceps, respectively).
Will it be detrimental or negatively impact the plan regarding the methods used if I replace the extra “redundant” exercises with abs, calf and rear delt/rhomboid work for a more balanced exercise selection for long term injury prevention?

I have cycled through your Best Damn workout plans for natural lifters (1, 2 and the strength plan) for several years since the structure is perfect for my preferences (Type 2B neurotype). Those plans were all based on one exercise for each major push and pull muscle group (4 in each workout) + an optional low impact exercise per workout for abs, calf or forearm. Only exception is the Strengh plan where there is an extra assistance lift to the major lift of the day. Which I totally understand.
Is there a specific reason for the change in exercise priority in this new plan other than to prioritize “mirror muscles”?

Thank you for all the amazing content and knowledge you have shared over the years.

The whole plan is balanced between pushing and pulling and will not open the door to injuries and imbalances. Now, if you absolutely want to change some exercises, sure, go ahead, you are free to do what you want with your training. But I cannot guarantee the results.

That having been said you can add abs and calves work to the program, It’s not the type of work that can push you toward overtraining.

1 Like

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question.