Best Workout for Athletes

Thanks!

What?!

He is trying to transition to DT from DE.

I understand how a lot of that massive training program can help with power and speed. But, damn man, that seems like over kill to me.

OP. My opinion is to do a 3 day a week full body strength training program, (531, starting strength, strong lifts, 5x5)
On the other two days, instead of tradition cardio work, do prowler pushes, blocking sled work, and heavy bag work. On the heavy bag work, instead of shadow boxing and blocking, work on your interior line hand moves that you would use to get the OL’s hands off you.

Keep you bench press work with your hands closer inside, close-grip bench is better for your needs than traditional bodybuilding bench. Shoulder width, no wider.

If you are putting in the real work in training I would not worry one bit about any excess weight you are putting on. EAT YOUR ASS OFF! Dude, eat your ass off.

Become a BEAST that can crush through a brick wall. You need the Earth to move when you drive your feet into the ground to fire off the ball.

1 Like

Thanks man!

FYI that program is CT’s offseason football program. So if you think that’s overkill ask CT.

It’s cool. I don’t need to ask CT, it’s overkill for a DE moving to DT. You can ask CT and he will agree.

I don’t agree with that. I’ve seen too many young guys gain too much fat when changing position or moving up a level, ending up slower.

Speed kills. I coached football for 9 years and was a DC for 6 and I always preferred to have a super explosive and fast DT instead of a super large one. The only DT that did really good by force feeding more weight on where those who were naturally designed to be big dudes.

If your assets are explosiveness and speed don’t sacrifice them for just more size. YES try to gain muscle and weight but NEVER at the expense of speed and explosiveness. SPEED kills… you are a lot less likely to be one pound short than one yard short … you can’t tackle what yo can’t catch up… etc.

1 Like

Very, very surprising to me. I understand the points you are making, but I dont see him doing what you described over an off-season. On top of that, he would be losing weight once organized practices start. I respect your knowledge, but do not agree at all.

Would you recommend one of the other programs the other guy posted for this player?

They’re both his programs and I used both for my cousin who is a right winger and he is dominating this year!

Correct, they are both Coach’s programs. I am curious if Coach would recommend one of these programs for this individual that we are talking about in this thread with OP’S goals in mind.

For instance on Friday: Section A. Strength and Size, in the first program listed, looks like a wasted day for this particular person and his goals IMHO.

I would say we would need further informations about op. What are his weaknesses and how did he train in the past ? Does he really need more mass or is this only his own "wrong"opinion ?

Fine then.I always valued speed over bulk. A mistake people make is try to be NFL-size too soon. They look at rosters and see that a DT is 300 for example… if you are 240 and try toi become 300 rapidly you WILL lose speed (not to mention the health effects). I know it happened to me when I went from 185 to 220 in one summer. If someone is a junior in High School he essentially has 4-5 years to gain size… adding 15lbs a year (let’s say 10 of muscle and 5 of fat) will leave that person around 290-2955 at the same degree of leanness and likely faster and more explosive (also healthier than if he bulked up).

I just don’t like when someone gains fat on purpose… it will accomplish nothing and since the body has a limited capacity to add muscle, pigging out will only lead to fat gain without more muscle.

1 Like

Without a doubt you make some very good points. A better way for me to state my suggestion would be to put in the work like described, and feed yourself with lots and lots of nutritious foods and don’t be concerned about adding a little body fat in the process. Don’t just try to get bigger by getting fat as possible.

I agree with Akidara, we need some more info on OP.

Thanks Coach CT for taking the time to join in this discussion

Thanks coach for your advice, I’m not trying to be 300 plus pounds. I’m currently around 225 and would like to move closer in the 240-245 range without too much fat.

As for more info about me, I’m currently in the 225 pounds range with about 15-18% body fat, with a 405 pounds 1rm squat, 495 pounds 1rm deadlift and 240 pounds 1rm bench Press.

So coach, do you think the look like a bodybuilder train like an athlete would be à good workout for me?

Cant go wrong with the off season football one that was posted above. It has 2 phases (8-12 weeks) dedicated to getting you bigger and stronger and 2 phases dedicated to getting you more powerful and explosive. All the things you need to be a good D tackle/football player. Don’t over complicate things. Move heavy weights, move lighter weights fast, sprint, jump, throw eat and rest and when it comes time practice your skills for your position and you will be a better player than you were the season before. Good luck.

Thanks man!

Yeah I would say do Built for Bad if you want some ‘performance mass’ the high pulls alone will keep you athletic and explosive and. you should pack on size. Obviously do one separate session a week for conditioning/sprints and agility.
Zombie Apocalypse another to consider -can go pretty crazy with the (clean)calories on that one without getting fat

Thanks, I intend to do Built for Bad at the beginning of the summer, after the winter program