Best Weighted Vest for Conditioning?

Starting the Beyond 5/3/1 1.1, and am wondering what type/brand of weighted vest to buy. Fixed weight? Adjustable? Is there a brand that stands out in terms of quality?

XVest

MiR vests from Rogue aren’t bad. I picked mine up cheap on Craigslist from an ex-Crossfitter. I had no problem finding one that way. Never tried XVest, but I’d blindly trust Wendler’s expertise.

Shit, that was easy…glad I chose to forgo a gift from the wife til now.

Thanks.

Is there a good place to order an x-vest from? Is Iron Woody’s still around?

Try here: LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You

Bumping this; ordered the xvest and I’m honestly very surprised at the work a 2 mile walk with this involves. Not that I doubted it’s efficacy, but got damn it works like a charm.

Order a vest, walk a couple miles, reap benefits.

(With shipping ~ 120USD)

Cheaper than XVest with decent reviews. Probably not of the same quality, but seems solid for those on a budget

[quote]Dangles wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001876XYG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2HQQJSJ48TSIC&coliid=I2ODSIKYIKPGWR

(With shipping ~ 120USD)

Cheaper than XVest with decent reviews. Probably not of the same quality, but seems solid for those on a budget[/quote]
I just got that actual vest and am very happy with it. I’ve only used it for walks and worn it while doing farmer walks, but I have no complaints. I got mine on ebay for $90 shipped new

I’m 6ft about 235 and I’m looking to buy a vest. I’ve seen everybody talk about brand names. My question is how much weight 40 50 60? These are expensive and I only want to buy one. Also, is this just a walk or is it supposed to be a brisk walk? Or am I being OCD and should just fucking walk!

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
I’m 6ft about 235 and I’m looking to buy a vest. I’ve seen everybody talk about brand names. My question is how much weight 40 50 60? These are expensive and I only want to buy one. Also, is this just a walk or is it supposed to be a brisk walk? Or am I being OCD and should just fucking walk! [/quote]

I am the same size you are. I got lucky and found an 84# XVest on craigslist and got it for $135. I started with 22# (just a number I picked) and went on about a mile walk around my neighborhood. Towards the end, I noticed I was breathing a little heavier. I plan on adding 1-2# as progression.

To answer your question, You are being OCD. Just get a vest, start out with less weight than you think you need, and go for a walk. If it was too easy, add weight next time or walk a longer distance.

The weighted vest walk was the kick in the ass I needed to get out and walk my dog more.

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
Or am I being OCD and should just fucking walk! [/quote]

This ^ You’ll understand once you put 60lbs on your back that the decision between walk and briskly walk is made for you…quickly.

[quote]blake b wrote:

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
I’m 6ft about 235 and I’m looking to buy a vest. I’ve seen everybody talk about brand names. My question is how much weight 40 50 60? These are expensive and I only want to buy one. Also, is this just a walk or is it supposed to be a brisk walk? Or am I being OCD and should just fucking walk! [/quote]

I am the same size you are. I got lucky and found an 84# XVest on craigslist and got it for $135. I started with 22# (just a number I picked) and went on about a mile walk around my neighborhood. Towards the end, I noticed I was breathing a little heavier. I plan on adding 1-2# as progression.

To answer your question, You are being OCD. Just get a vest, start out with less weight than you think you need, and go for a walk. If it was too easy, add weight next time or walk a longer distance.

The weighted vest walk was the kick in the ass I needed to get out and walk my dog more.
[/quote]
Thx for the response. Progression sounds like a good plan as always.

[quote]Grove wrote:

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
Or am I being OCD and should just fucking walk! [/quote]

This ^ You’ll understand once you put 60lbs on your back that the decision between walk and briskly walk is made for you…quickly.[/quote]
Lol. Point taken

My 40lb xvest hasn’t held up that great. The fabric on the shoulders has pulled away from the piping. There’s nylon strapping on the shoulders as well, so it hasn’t effected functionality yet. This may have been from having the straps too loose and letting fabric on the shoulders carry too much of the weight. make sure the straps are snug enough to carry the weight. The whole thing is adjustable, so just take care.

The velcro and elastic has gotten a little weak too. My left shoulder is fucked and push-ups are the only pressing I can do without serious pain. I do weighted push-ups from rings with the vest. It can be a little tricky to get it secured properly. The bottom front weights want to flap over and undo the vest. I’ll probably get the heaviest vest I can so that I can load more weight, but also so I don’t have to use the lower front weights until absolutely necessary. I could always use some additional straps I suppose.

These aren’t major complaints The thing still works and I’m not going to throw it out. I have no idea how they compare with other brands. I may try a different brand if I can find one heavy enough, but would have no problem buying another xvest if that’s the heaviest one I can find.

Climbing the local sledding hill with the vest is a trip. Great workout and no need to run. It’s just as challenging as doing sprints, but easier to keep pushing. It’s a slow and steady pace, so easier to keep grinding without falling on your face and easier to avoid ruts and other things that might tweak an ankle or knee when your sprinting that last few yards. If your legs are in worse shape than your lungs, shorter strides. If your lungs are screaming but legs have failed you yet, longer strides. Easy to regulate.

The 30deg grade works well. I might try the 45 degree grade at some point this summer. Walking a quarter mile with vest to get back to my truck after sucks. Have to remember to keep a little in tank for the walk back.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
My 40lb xvest hasn’t held up that great. The fabric on the shoulders has pulled away from the piping. There’s nylon strapping on the shoulders as well, so it hasn’t effected functionality yet. This may have been from having the straps too loose and letting fabric on the shoulders carry too much of the weight. make sure the straps are snug enough to carry the weight. The whole thing is adjustable, so just take care.

The velcro and elastic has gotten a little weak too. My left shoulder is fucked and push-ups are the only pressing I can do without serious pain. I do weighted push-ups from rings with the vest. It can be a little tricky to get it secured properly. The bottom front weights want to flap over and undo the vest. I’ll probably get the heaviest vest I can so that I can load more weight, but also so I don’t have to use the lower front weights until absolutely necessary. I could always use some additional straps I suppose.

These aren’t major complaints The thing still works and I’m not going to throw it out. I have no idea how they compare with other brands. I may try a different brand if I can find one heavy enough, but would have no problem buying another xvest if that’s the heaviest one I can find.[/quote]

I’d like to add my experiences to this thread.

The XVest is a fine piece of equipment and very comfortable indeed since it is designed around therapeutic shoulder/spine posture. I have the 84 lb XVest, however I have similar concerns that the strapping system has not held up to my expectations. Perhaps I should have order a smaller sized XVest and adjusted it differently. Walking with it is fine, but faster pace multi-plane movements like Turkish Get Ups put stress on the strapping system.

The other two vests I’ve invested in are the WeightedVest.com V-FORCE 45 lb vest and the V-MAX 150 lb vest (a 75 vest + 75 lb attachment). In time, I will experiment with more brands… however I am very satisfied with WeightedVest brand which is to be expected since it is top $$.

Walking with 150 lb vest for 1-2 miles is very challenging, especially in a hilly neighborhood. Definite increase in foot strength, calves, back, core strength/endurance, and upper back endurance. Not to mention the cardiovascular workout from simply walking.

I have a 30kg Maxivest and it’s built like a tank. Great bit of equipment, has taken a battering over the last few years and shows virtually no sign of it.

I’ve been doing 2 miles on the treadmill at a brisk pace (about 4.5 mph) with the vest on, it’s much harder work than I expected. Every time I do it something different complains. My calves were killing yesterday.