T Nation

Best Way to Take a Short Nap?

I’ve read a bit about powernaps (10 min. naps) to boost your body and I’ve also seen mention of it as a post-workout recovery aid.

I tried to catch a few Zzz’s today after workout but I can’t get to sleep. I’ve never really been able to take a nap unless I’m really really tired.

Any tips to catch sleep better/faster?

THNX!

Will be difficult to nap after a workout. the engine is still running. 2:30-4:00PM is the best time to take a 15-20 minute nap. Assuing this is at least 4-5 hours after workout or 1-2 hours before.
Warning–if you sleep too long you’ll be CRAZY groggy. Keep it to 15 minutes. I love the nap.

Lie down on your back or sit on a couch and put your head back. Close your eyes and relax and don’t worry about sleeping. If you try too hard you will be awake forever. Do this for a few weeks and you should start falling asleep and waking up shortly. If you roll on your side you will go into a deep sleep.

I’m one of those crazy people that can literally nap at anytime, including after a workout. At least once or twice a week I’ll catch one at lunch. Sometimes a little “white noise” helps. I usually set my cellphone alarm for 15-30 min. and hit it. I never really sleep more than 10 though. Sundays I usually catch a long nap; 1.5-2 hrs worth.

Just visit your local Metronap:

[quote]roofus_5 wrote:
I’m one of those crazy people that can literally nap at anytime, [/quote]

I wish this were me. I would need some serious pharmaceutical supplementation to sleep at all during the day. Never been my thing, even when frickin exhausted. Sometimes would be nice though.

–Tiribulus->

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
roofus_5 wrote:
I’m one of those crazy people that can literally nap at anytime,

I wish this were me. I would need some serious pharmaceutical supplementation to sleep at all during the day. Never been my thing, even when frickin exhausted. Sometimes would be nice though.

–Tiribulus->[/quote]

It’s all good. I’m sure you probably do a lot better at getting the sleep you need at night. I really require 8-9 hrs a night but reality is I get 5-7.

[quote]pradaboy wrote:
I’ve read a bit about powernaps (10 min. naps) to boost your body and I’ve also seen mention of it as a post-workout recovery aid.

I tried to catch a few Zzz’s today after workout but I can’t get to sleep. I’ve never really been able to take a nap unless I’m really really tired.

THNX![/quote]

One of the above posters mentioned something to this affect but just to add my two cents.

Typically I take whatever amount of time I want to sleep and add twenty minutes. So, if I’m shooting for a twenty minute nap (my personal favorite length) I set my alarm for forty minutes. This seems to work very well and I find it quite refreshing.

Be warned, napping for too long will kill your sleeping habits. Be careful.

I actually took a course on this in college. I can now interpret brain wave charts. What a marketable skill. (Sarcasm).

Anyway - the best length of a nap is supposed to be 20 mins for increasing your energy. The best time (when you’ll get to sleep quickly) is late afternoon, around 3:00 pm.

The best thing you can do to facilitate the process is to block out as much light as you can. Even if you don’t fall asleep, resting your body will be beneficial, so really don’t lie there worrying about it.

Also, avoid stimulants for a few hours beforehand. If I remember anything else useful, I’ll let you know.

do 5x10 front squat, hanging pike, standing calf raise day from CW’s abbh1 program. it’s the most worn down i have ever felt after a workout since hgm’s phase 1. i came home today after doing it, put on some jewel music, lied down on my bed, and pretty much almost went fully asleep after the 2nd song. i knew i couldn’t though cuz i needed more food.

Yeah I’m definatly one of those people that can nap ANYTIME. Even if I get 9 hours of sleep. When I come home from school, the first thing I think of doing and want to do is just nap lol. After that a good meal and starting whatever I have to do is a lot better and I feel more focused and full of energy when I do it. Sometimes though I will nap for lke 3 hours and it’s bad cause it’s hard to sleep at night. Sometimes only 45 minutes. Sometimes 10. I think I feel best after either 20-30 minutes napping, or 2.5 hour nap haha.

Hmm, some nap ideas…

Be comfortable. Have a blanket or something to pull off the back of the couch.

Put some blah blah blah on the television. For example, CNN is great, because after ten minutes it all repeats anyway.

As suggested above, don’t worry about napping, but if your eyes do get heavy, grab that blanket and let your eyes shut.

If it’s shortly after a hard workout, I’ll feel nappish if I’m cooling down and I’ve stuffed in some post-workout food.

When conditions are right, I think a nap is a great recovery response, because you can just feel it pulling at you… and then ten minutes later you may wake up sweating, which can only be metabolic factors since you weren’t overheating while awake.

Best amount of time for a nap is between 15 to 30 minutes (NOT more). Less than 15 probably really isn’t enough to get the full benefits.

Do a search on relaxation techniques on Google. Should be some good stuff there. I picked up various techniques from different books I read, and I went from being someone who has trouble falling asleep anytime to someone who can sleep anywhere, anytime.

They are extremely simple to learn. You will really feel the diffence in all aspects of your life when you start taking these quick naps a few times a week.

I set a small timer for the amount of time I want to sleep, because I tend to become so relaxed I might just stay alsleep if I didn’t.

Good luck.

[quote]pradaboy wrote:

THNX![/quote]

Ever since I’ve increased by total amount of sets per workout to 28 and take Surge afterwards I always have a sleep for about 15-30 minutes.

I then go and walk the dog for 30 minutes after the sleep and I feel alot better.

thanks for all the advice guys, I’m definately gonna look into relaxation techniques… napping at will would be an awesome feature :slight_smile:

Sorry - one more thing I forgot to mention…

You can actually stimulate the brain waves of relaxation/sleep with some cds they have out there. Different frequencies are played into each ear, which creates the desired frequency in your brain. I know, it sounds new-agy, but it is based on practical science and our professor ran a sleep clinic at one of the top research institutions in the country.

Hemi-sync is just one company that sells this. Here’s one you may like: http://www.hemi-sync.com/store/product.php?productid=1400 They also sell noise canceling headphones (which may be bad because you won’t hear your alarm). Still, you will need headphones to separate the sounds going into the left and right ear.

Did someone say Jewel?

buy a statistics textbook!

Napping is something that definately gets easier once you make it a habit.

If I’ve fallen off the ‘napping wagon’ for a while I find that breathing in deeply throughy my nose then slowly out through my mouth a few times REALLY helps to get me to sleep.

Wasn’t there an article on here though saying that PWO naps are highly catabolic? I seem to remember that spiking your insulin before napping was the problem. I guess if you have Surge PWO you should wait 45mins, eat a meal and then nap.